my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Fiery red...mellow yellow & not so mellow morsels


Caesalpinia pulcherrima
(ses-al-PIN-ee-uh) (pul-KAIR-ih-muh)
or
Red Bird of Paradise
or
Mexican Bird of Paradise

No matter its name, it's a beauty!!! Their lacy tropical and ferny leaves are heavily accented by rich and colorful flowers. I love the daintiness of the leaves and the spiral spiking stamens. The color goes from a rich, deep, fiery red to a beautiful, lemony yellow. The bush itself can be trimmed and shaped to promote thick, healthy bushes and still never fail to bloom. We had them in our yard in Tucson, and when we were getting ready to lock up the house there that we sold, I took the liberty of picking off a seed pod from one of the plants and then, that very next Spring in Texas, I planted the seed along the foundation of the house we bought here. The first year, it sprouted but didn't bloom. Then...by next Spring it was shooting up...and bloomed. But very little. This year, finally it's done pretty well, and produced some nice healthy seed pods so I can cultivate more. They're strong, do well in drought [desert like conditions] and create a landscape attraction for backyard birds!!

Easy to grow
Little water needed
Can be trimmed & trained
Will tolerate light freezing, but should be protected for long cold spells.

We had some of them in Arizona in our front yard that grew to 5 feet or more...while in our back yard, along a walkway, we kept them trimmed to around a foot high....both heights bloomed profusely!!





CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone




_ _ _


MONDAY MORSELS


After reading a blogger's post the other day regarding Ebay, I was just astounded!!! I had to go out online and find for myself that it's actually a fact!!! As of August 30th of this year, on September 1st, Ebay will ban the sale of anything having to do with witchcraft, tarot, potions, etc. ONE ARTICLE I read. I assume they have contracts 'written up' with the sellers from the onset of their site, Ebay...but I still think it's all kinds of wrong to dictate in such a manner...maybe not. For instance, banning the sale of guns is NOT going to stop people from acquiring a gun. But, what do I know?!! I continue to shake my head in disbelief. What is this world coming to I wonder, in regards to beliefs? Are we digressing back to the days of the the 17th century? The Salem Witch Trials? What happened to our freedoms....for instance, for those that believe...their religious freedoms? I, for one, don't condone, nor do I condemn, the act of witchcraft...in my mind and what I've read in history [historical facts mind you, are not necessarily truths...because I am certain history is just ONE MAN'S opinion, and could be strewn far from the real deal....let me put it this way, FACTS from our history books have been proven to be falsehoods in some cases]; witchcraft is associated with rituals of Satan...but I ask what about Christians? I'm not saying I know, I'm just saying that there is evil found in Christianity also. Are we going to start again...the hanging of these buyers/sellers?

From Ebay's site: [in part]
    Category eliminations - ...the following items are also being added to the prohibited items list: advice; spells; curses; hexing; conjuring; magic; prayers; blessing services; magic potions; healing sessions...


Now, for me....looking through my crystal ball, I see in the future, another kind of trial....a Civil Rights Trial Perhaps. Who knows....but I do know that even the Prohibition Days of the good and evils of liquor didn't stop the buying and selling...right?  Or another 'act' that is illegal....prostitution---ummmm, open your eyes and ears people....think:  Our Congressmen!!  Or look at it this way...are they going to tell store owners now that they can't sell over the counter medications?  Heck, think about it in a really broad sense...for instance, toilet paper?  [that could be considered a danger to pets and small children....choking/chewing it?]  Actually, I think Ebay should take a longer look at the crookedness of the seller's postage rates....that's a ripoff.  I don't buy often, I believe in buying locally to keep the city's economy strong...and again, I loathe the seller's postage and handling on Ebay 99% of the time.  Ban that!!!  LOL


On a baseball note: Houston Astros finally....finally fired Brad Mills!!! They should have never hired him in the first place. Astros have broken the all time baseball record [the whole history of baseball] of game losses!!! And another player that they got 'rid of' was Carlos Lee....Carlos was good....but long ago, he needed to go in my opinion.


witch animation borrowed with permission from GLITTER GRAPHICS

39 comments :

  1. Totally agree with you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's insane, the way people think these days. They think banning is the cure all for everything; it disgusts me sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flower, fantastic colours. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by, and thanks for the positive feedback.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the flowers are a beauty! Plenty of them here in my country and they bloom all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jama. I plan to plant more sometime soon.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flower, so many wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers are beautiful ... too bad we can't grow them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that they are, they're very pretty...and the blooming season lasts most of the summer.

      Delete
  6. I love that flower! Wish is was something we could grow around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Happy 31st anniversary today Mari and hubby.

      Delete
  7. Pretty flowers! I don't think they would do well in the Pacific Northwest, the anti-drought part of the country. Banning witchcraft? Blessing services and healing sessions? Since when are those considered to be witchcraft? And I agree with you that it's a slippery slope indeed, banning these things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC
    Liz @ YACB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Liz...you too have a super week.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful plant/flower, Anni. I love the colors.... Not sure they will grow here--but I'd love to have one.

    I totally agree with you when it comes to our FREEDOM. We are gradually losing it. Seems that when ONE person complains about something offending them, things are changed to make that one person happy. It doesn't matter that ALL of the REST of us are not offended by that... The ACLU has done tons of damage ---and everything these days seems to be about pleasing the minority rather than looking at ALL of the people.

    I worry so much about what is happening in our country. We have a Government that wants to control our every move. We are so far in debt that who knows what will happen in the future. I could go on and on and on---but things surely are in a mess. My opinion: IF Obama gets 4 more years, our country will be GREECE... OR--we'll be like a communist country --with NO freedom left at all. Scary...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red bird of Paradise is absolutely gorgeous...I love brilliant colors like this...
    Don't faint but I've never been on eBay!! LOL
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see just what they're selling...you'd be amazed at all the overpriced things people continue to bid on.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. ...thanks Emily....I can't get into your blog posts from Google because of your 'circles'.

      Delete
  12. Your blog looks so fresh and has a calming effect with the new template you have! It's pretty.

    It's a great move for ebay to ban items associated to witchcraft and did not really bother that their sales will be affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for your concise thoughts today.

      Delete
  13. That is beautiful. I wish it would grow here that is a color I like to add in my flower garden. ^_^ I bet bees do love it too! ^_^


    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya know, I've never seen any bees on the blossoms...but now that you mention it I will pay closer attention.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful flowers
    I had no idea you could buy hexes and spells on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I guess you won't be able to by next month. LOL

      Delete
  16. The flower is sooooooooooooooooo pretty. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  17. i used to see those flowers when I was in Philippines. beautiful! hope you could visit my mellow yellow monday here: http://www.jollytoes.com/2012/08/05/the-yellow-cabs-in-new-york-city-and-sephora-building/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I bet they were just a pretty there as here!

      Delete
  18. Simply beautiful!

    A late visit from Mellow Yellow Monday. Would love for you to come by and comment on my my YELLOW post. Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely flowers.

    My understanding of the eBay policy is that they are not banning "things" to do with witchcraft or any particular belief/non-belief - notice that prayers and blessings are also on the prohibited list. It's more about the intangibility of the "item." If you are the purchaser, how do you know you got the prayer? If it didn't work out the way you want? Then if you're the seller, how do you prove you did pray for the buyer? Same for hexes, magic potions, etc.

    So, while I am completely for freedom in these areas, I can understand why eBay would implement such a policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're correct, but my point is people will 'buy' somehow.

      Delete

.