“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...a package arrives!!

I can't believe it is Friday already. Where did the past week go y'wonder? Once again, I'm fragmenting thoughts going through my brain matter...

1] My son sent me a link to a very profound article this week. In partiality the commentor is stating what I and Bud have said for decades. Yet, I remember long ago reading what Socrates thought of the youth in his work with Plato, [and his lifespan was 469–399 B.C.E.] A quote by Socrates [or at least he has been given credit for these words] --
    "Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."
Things never change in this regard. But, I find it ironic that as a youth, I laughed at this. As I grew older, trying to raise my own children to respect and submit to good mannerisms, I find the youth today abhorrent in a lot of cases...disrespectful, mostly. I can understand the rebellious nature, heck...I was the same way, and at times I refuse to be dictated to by what we call superiors [especially government officials] even today. I've fractured a law or two...like driving above the speed limit for one. I guess you could say, at times, my rebellion would not be something to follow. I am no role model these days. Does this mean as I age, I digress back to my youthful ways?

2] Sometimes I put all the blame on society. Too often society butts in where they shouldn't tread. i.e., interfering with family upbringing; perhaps some common road laws, i.e., seat belts ---I still think that if you find yourself a good lawyer, you could fight that law being that it's against your civil rights....the motorcycle helmet law was fought and won in some states. That too is against your civil rights. Sorry...I will quit now before I put my foot in my keyboard and go too far---

3] A snippet of the article I mentioned above goes like this:
    I couldn’t have been more than 8, 9 or 10 years old when one time, on the way home from school, my cousin and I were having a stone fight with some other youngsters. An elderly black lady walked up to my cousin and me and asked, "Does your mother know you’re out here throwing stones?" We replied, "No, ma’am," praying that the matter rested there. Today an adult doing the same thing risks being cursed and possibly assaulted. Fearing retaliation, adults sit in silence as young people use vile language to one another on public conveyances, in school corridors and on the streets. Yesteryear there was little tolerance for the kinds of crude behavior and language that are accepted today. To see a man sitting on a bus or trolley car while a woman is standing used to be unthinkable. Children didn’t address adults by their first name....
The article in its entirety HERE

4] Now on a 'fun happy note' for this week....I received in the mail a package. And what a surprise it was!! I never in my day could imagine what the 'small something for you' meant when I opened an email telling me a gift was on its way soon...

5] ...the package was delivered --


6] Halloween!!!! I love Halloween. Mama Bear couldn't have made this more perfect!! And, what I cherish most besides her friendship, is the fact that she thought of me and made that extra special effort to send me this wonderful, adorable, hand cross-stitched Halloween Kitty Pillow!!! She certainly made my day.  And not only do I send along my thanks to you, I appreciate everything you've done for me!!!

7] Speaking of Halloween...the stores are adding Fall and Halloween stuff on their shelves. Ohhhhhhh, be still my heart. I'll soon be on a witch hunt!! Did I say 'soon'....well, as a matter of fact, I'm hunting already. Gotta get out to hunt early before the best is sold. I was talking to a clerk at Tuesday Morning the other day, and she was showing me some witches ---I bought three---while she was taking them down from a very high shelf, she was telling me about the really cute ones she put out the day before I arrived...witch, black cat....on a bicycle. She searched ---couldn't find them and said "They must of sold out already, we had 6!!" See? Gotta get the best before it's too late. LOLOLOL

8] I'm sure some will comment on how it's so early for Fall decor and Halloween...well, in case you didn't know....I figured secretly you did want to know, so I'll state this: "Tuesday Morning has Christmas stuff too. As does Hobby Lobby and Kirklands". In fact Hobby Lobby was stocking shelves last month!!! And besides for those who shop from their home via computer/laptop ---you can buy holiday year 'round!!!!






CONNECTING TO:

Mommy's Idea

28 comments :

  1. Another sleepless time - went to bed at 7:30, exhausted, then up at 12:30. So, as for the rude behavior, I don't even want to get started! Dan was in the bank last week where a young woman on a cell phone was using all kinds of foul language. Customers asked her to stop and she ignored them, so someone asked the bank receptionist to do something. The woman was told she would have to stop or leave the bank. She finally hung up, went to the window and started her crying act. She then proceeded to file a complaint about the person who asked her to stop! Said she had been humiliated by her! The language was not enough, I guess! Oh well...takes all kinds! Glad you got a nice surprise in the mail - those kinds of things just make our day, don't they? Have a good day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...get some more rest Linda!!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful package, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your are lucky to have a special friend, that's a lovely gift. from where I am, it's water everywhere with the torrential rain. I hope we all have a better weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've been reading about all your flooding. Soon, I hope it will begin to dry up for you and your people.

      Delete
  4. How nice to get a surprise package and how cute were the contents.
    How are you, it has been as while...will take me some time to catch up.
    I have posted some pictures of one of the Painted churches of Texas, please come visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for stopping by Barbara.

      Delete
  5. Anni, I hope the pillow fluffed out well after it was taken out of the box. It looks wrinkled in the photo...didn't have a bigger box so had to squash it in.
    Have a blessed day,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, it 'fluffed out swell'!!!

      Delete
  6. I think you are so lucky to have friends who send you pretty surprises like that. And color ME surprised when you mentioned Halloween is right around the corner, as is that other holiday whose name will not be mentioned around here before August is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...what aren't you going to mention....could it begin with a "C" and end in "S"?

      Delete
  7. Hi Anni we love your fragmented Fridays boy do I agree with the lack of respect in today's youth and no don't you dare correct a child who is not yours unless you have bail money. When I was growing up all the adults had permission to correct all the children in my neighborhood.

    I love your Halloween surprise. Oh my I saw the cutest Halloween candle in the Yankee Candle shop when walking today. Of course we were too early to shop but I'll go back to add it to my daughter's b-day package. She loves Halloween too.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....like your 1st daughter....I'll soon be counting the days for H-day.

      Delete
  8. What a cool surprise to have delivered! I'm right in front clapping at your rant about disrespect and incivility. I don't find that it is only children, either.

    Of course you only need to watch a little TV to see how "sass" is the order of the day. Not just cartoons or the comedies, just in the way people respond to one another. Of course, civility IS admired. Look at the Downton Abbey following. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooooooooo glad we have no more TV to watch, no 'sass' as you say, no commercials, no sports, no campaign BS....nada, zilch...and I say to that, yippee!!!

      Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  9. You know that if you have friends or family overseas, or a spouse or child deployed, it will take longer to get gifts to them. Plus if you are crafting you need to buy for the season soon enough to g4t projects done!

    As much as I love summer and I love being warm, mid-August is about the time I start anticipating Pumpkin Spice Season! And all those big bags of candies to choose what ones I'll use to make candy bags for, based on last year, 157 kids! I LOVE seeing all the costumes and giving out the larger bags of candy that we can because we aren't spending the money raising kids of our own. Things to wear and decorate with for Halloween are big here and never too soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...I agree to everything Nani.

      Delete
  10. Yep - - - you're right about all the Christmas decor already appearing.

    Here's what I wonder though - - - since fall doesn't officially by calendar and sun begin until Sept. 22, and since bloggers and others begin celebrating fall mid summer, and winter mid fall, and spring mid winter, and summer mid spring - - - should we ignore the sun and redo our calendars?

    Oh no - - - that won't work either 'cause we'd STILL celebrate spring mid winter and . . .

    I'm digging my heels in.

    I'm going to celebrate seasons as they are truly happening and HOPE that slows down the speed with which I appear to be hurtling toward oblivion.

    Doubt if it works - - - my I'm going to give it the good old college try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just 'cause we BUY before the season, doesn't me we celebrate early.

      Delete
  11. So I guess no matter when you grew up it follows that you will find the younger generation more rude and disrespectful than yours was. I remember getting yelled at by my dad when I called an adult neighbor by their first name. I never did it again (or at least not so that I could be heard)
    Nice package you got there. I have already seen Christmas stuff in the store. It drives me nuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely. Oh, on the other hand, I like having holiday stuff come out early in the year 'cause I can get much more BEFORE the season arrives.

      Delete
  12. I agree with all your youthful assessment! And I love the Halloween time...for quite a few my friend and I used to put on spectacular Halloween parties...ahhh good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me and you....Halloween is awesome.

      Delete
  13. I love getting a surprise in the mail!

    I'm not a fan of the early stocking of holiday items ... but that's just me. I guess I ought to get used to it because, as you mentioned, if we wait until closer to the holiday, all the good stuff has been sold. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I was like you...never thought of even buying things 'til a few weeks before the holidays...then, when I'd go back to buy, all the nifty, cool things were long sold out. I learned quickly to get 'em while they're fresh on the shelves.

      Delete

.