my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



...this land is your land & a bit of 'trashy talk'...

No MP3 playing today. Couldn't find it...but I'm sure y'all know this song made famous by Bert Parks and the Miss America Pageants throughout history. Today, there is a 'twist' to the themesong, instead of promoting women and beauty, Miss America is represented by our country and the freedoms we have even tho there is a shared discontent with what's going on in Congress these days...and I can't really explain it, but with all the hoopla and mess that the GOP/Dems in Congress fighting for themselves because it's an election year instead of working FOR the people who supposedly govern the country...I've just been more patriotic than usual. Yep, can't explain it...but it's there, inside me....


There she is, Miss America
There she is, your ideal
The dream of a million girls who are more than pretty can come true
in New York Atlantic City
For she may turn out to be the Queen of femininity

There she is, Miss America
There she is, your ideal
With so many beauties she took the town by storm
With her all-American face and form

And there she is
Walking on air, she is
Fairest of the fair, she is
There she is ...
- Miss America


photo credits:  statue of liberty [from google search, my scanned photo of my own turned out nasty!], The Republic of Texas flag alongside Old Glory in Calallen Texas [huge...both of them 5 feet by 8 feet!], and the White House [also a google search 'cause my scanned photo turned out greenish].  I am thinking I need a new scanner.  Two images are not mine ---I just didn't have time to work on any photos so I borrowed this week.





CONNECTING TO:








_ _ _

It's been a while since I've actually partaken in my Thursday Trash Talk!!! Tho, I'm busy with this Norwegian so called genealogy [I say that 'cause every one of the ancestors are either a 'sen' [son] or datter [daughter]....confusing as all get out!!! I'm starting to see sens and datters everywhere!!! LOL Okay, I need to take a break from all this and make someone smile a bit. Hope this one I choose today is as good for you as it was for me!----

Val P. said his life motto was "Anything for a laugh." And after the 59-year-old died of throat cancer last week, he owned up to a few humorous events from his life. Patterson's obituary in The Salt Lake Tribune begins like many others, with a loving tribute to his wife, Mary Jane, and recollections of a life lived in full. But then things get more interesting, as Patterson notes, "Now that I have gone to my reward, I have confessions and things I should now say." First up, the former engineer admits he never earned the advanced degree from the University of Utah that gained him entrance to his chosen professional career:

"What happened was that the day I went to pay off my college student loan at the U of U, the girl working there put my receipt into the wrong stack, and two weeks later, a PhD diploma came in the mail. I didn't even graduate, I only had about 3 years of college credit. In fact, I never did even learn what the letters 'PhD' even stood for..."

...the article goes on and on with Val's self-written obit, and trust me, it's a pretty darned good read. You wouldn't believe me if I told you more. You're just gonna hafta read it in its whole form [HERE]. But with what I shared, you can tell the man left this earth with a great sense of humor, and confessed things you can't fathom regarding Old Faithful being plugged and more; I'm sure it was all a hoax, but in any case a fun read.


As usual tho, the comments after the articles are a hoot!!!


sonic posted: HA! just got a PhD sent to him!!! What am i doing!? wasting 4 years getting my degree when i just have to wink at the right girl...HA!

Kris posted:
And the truth will set...you free!

Casey posted: Dear Foley's: It was me. I knocked over your mannequin while playing hide and seek with my sister in 1987.

Design Guy posted: Dear 5&10 in my town, i stole 7 tootsie rolls when i was 10, my grandparents found out and told me to give them back, i only gave back 5. Sorry

Abrondon Jones posted: If everybody did this, the obituaries would be front page news and newspapers would make a raging comeback!

SOG posted: He stole, vandalized and caused many public disturbances....he will truly be missed

ROJO posted: I confess it was me who pushed over the outhouse on Halloween. I just didn't know grandpa was in it. I promise.

doug posted:
i am the guy who faked his own death for the insurance............

Pairadocs posted: Oh crap, i'm 66 tomorrow and never did any funny stuff to admit to after I die..I've got to get busy!



....and last one for the day, of course, you'd know it'd come from a dude named  Sigmund, right?

Sigmund posted:
His wife is hot.



article in full viewed with above link provided...no infringement intended

22 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by Denise.

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten all about the Miss America song, haven't heard it in years.

    That was a great obituary and funny as could be. I couldn't help but wonder if he had really done all those things or just made some of them up for laughs. Guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....me too. But going through a lot of photos this week, I saw the Statue of Liberty and said "This is really THE Ms. America" and then I got this idea. LOL

      Delete
  3. I had heard about that obit - just wonder if it was true! I haven't watched Miss America for many years, so had completely forgotten about the song. This was a PERFECT choice today! Loved the idea of honoring our country instead of the fleeting beauty of the girls. I think these dark days are making those of us who love our country feel more patriotic and protective. I am frequently moved to tears when I hear our National Anthem, or see something that makes me remember how lucky we are to live in this great land. I only hope we can continue to be so fortunate - I guess the elections will tell the tale! Thanks, Anni, for hosting this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you've done with that song. Seeing those pictures makes me feel much more patriotic than listening to all the fighting in Washington.
    I heard about that obit - funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you and me both, I get so sick and tired of all this mess and bickering.

      Delete
  5. Nobody sings that song like Bert Parks..My mom and I always watched Miss America together when I was a child. Nice memories
    I love your pictures they are perfect
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I wish I'd had the time to work on my own photos for this, but it just didn't happen.

      Delete
  6. I read that obituary in the news earlier. It was indeed very funny to think that he had the last laugh and that it was something he made into his life's work. He sure wasn't very old. I love the comments, Anni. Thanks for sharing them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the comments, most times, are much more rewarding than the articles. LOL

      Delete
  7. I hadn't watched Miss America for several years, but last year Miss Kentucky was from here and a high school friend was her pageant coach and in the audience, (He was actually shown at one point in the pageant), so I watched.
    I like your spin on the song. I would love to visit Lady Liberty, I think it would be truly amazing to see with my own eyes!
    The "Trash Talk" obit is hilarious, I bet that gentleman lived a very happy life and was a hoot to be around. The comments are always great on theses articles and many times better than the article itself.
    Thanks again for hosting this meme, I enjoy being a part of it so much! Happy Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for participating each week.

      Delete
  8. Loved the obit. He was probably a great guy. You always find such interesting things to post, Anni, and this is no exception.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Santa tea pot - we're celebrating Christmas in July on Sunday - will post some piccies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...cool. I love anything Christmas.

      Delete
  10. Sorry - posted in the wrong place :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry Anni, for not blogging and visiting. Legs firmly back in New Zealand and need to catch up on my sleep.

    Your Statue of liberty was one of my many reunion stories. Met up with 2 guys who drove from Canada to New York. Our high light was climbing the steps up th statue of Liberty. Will talk about it until the day I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh I bet!! What a thrill, and I am sure you're exhausted, but happy to be back home again.

      Delete

.