my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


A week in review....




along the downtown marina park




CONNECTING TO:






_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

First off, if you're kinda squeamish, and don't like to look at bodily injuries, you may want to skip this part.  This week, outside, Bud and I mowed and edged the lawn.  Of course, the mowing is in Bud's duty book....my job is to edge along the driveway and sidewalks.  And, my edger is electric, not gas powered.  Nor does it have the rotating blade as some, it has the plastic edging strings.  Two coming out around the spool on both sides.  I wear tennis shoes to do my yard work when I'm edging.  I was done!  There's this little gizzy-wich that you wrap the cord around a 'hook' to keep it stable.  Still plugged in, I started to pull that loose, and my hand slipped onto the trigger mechanism.  The strings cut off the top of my tennis shoe...sliced it right off from the laces to the tongue.  And pretty well scraped the top of my foot!!! - - -After I realized what happened and the stinging, burning set in, the grey matter said a few choice words, and I called to Bud, "I just about chopped my foot off." Of course he barely heard me, but he saw the part of the shoe laying on the lawn...he stopped and came over. Asking me, "Does it hurt?" Men!!! Duh, it hurt like the blazes. I cleaned the wound and made a temporary, sanitized wrap with the over-sized bandage and sat down on the bench in the garage for a while letting the pain subside. Telling Bud to finish his work while I watch him. He made the job of work a rush job. When the work was done and the equipment was put away, I showered and cleaned the wound more and then medicated it and Bud wrapped it snugly with the first aid kit stuff. By nightfall it was quite bruised, but the redness surrounding the scrape had disappeared except for the cutting lines. The pain slowly subsided during the rest of the day, and by bedtime, it didn't keep me awake. And it looks much better now than the past few days. I never thought to have him take a picture of the shoe...as he cleaned up everything, he tossed the sneakers in the trash ---it was trash pickup day and the trash bin was at the curb. By the time I figured I shoulda had him take a picture, the city had picked up the trash already.  I can only add my thought....It could have been much worse!!!
Another thing, a bit comical happened to me this week also. When I returned home from the grocery store, as I neared our house and driveway, I clicked on the garage door opener...the door started opening, then stopped half way, came down, closed, then began opening again...over and over. I just sat there, in the car contemplating whether to attempt getting the car in the garage or not. To be crushed or not to be crushed!! I looked down and noticed the little red light on the opener's remote was blinking...off and on, off and on. The button was stuck!!! Realizing what the problem was, I got Bud out and after the door closed I had him use the switch from the garage wall. It stopped acting funky, and got the car in. Unloaded the groceries and high-tailed it to the hardware store to replace the remote opener! Kinda comical there for a while...something out of the Keystone Cop era. Geez.
Still, I'm working diligently on genealogy off and on when I receive an email from someone willing to help me out from other parts of the country working on the same lineage or has access to CD's with history I need....we went birding one day only this week, it's just been too hot.  I took the car in to get new tires, we trimmed one of our crepe myrtles...it was just too top heavy and drooping.  Reading a little bit here and there - Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.  Hardly cooking at all; mostly sandwiches and chips and salads.  Foundering on gallons of lemonade!!! [I started craving it when we were driving home from the islands, we shut off the A/C and made use of the winds through the windows....but once we stop, it was hotter than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.]  And lemonade came to mind...been making a batch each day since.  LOL  Oh, and I need to make a note to myself to get some new tennis shoes.  Bud'll love that   when I tell him!!!!  Also, to conclude the week's activity summary, we cleaned closets of summer clothes we haven't worn since last year, and took them to the donation station at the thrift store, where I found a tea for one Santa set [image posted here...the link should open in a new window] and then perused the antique mall and found a couple more Santas for my collection.


42 comments :

  1. Oh Anni! That is not a good thing. I'm glad it's healing without getting infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the afterthought of the whole ordeal was, I coulda lost a foot. The sting wasn't bad in comparing I suppose. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm glad it's healing without infection, too, Anni! And a great shadow shot for the day! Hope your weekend is going well. Interesting book, Mein Kampf, I started reading it when I lived in Germany, but after visiting some of the old prison of war camp museums, just picking the book up again made me sick at my stomach! A scary time in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sylvia. And in regards to Mein Kampf, I can only image the sweltering, tearing at your heart feelings that would come over anyone who witnesses the museums and reading the history of this man.

      Delete
  3. OMG!! You are so lucky you didn't loose a toe... as for your garage door opener story, what a week you have had, I had a giggle while reading it, certainly was a Keystone Cops moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Angela. Yes, it was quite funny. If you woulda been with me, you woulda been rolling on the floor, seriously. LOL

      Delete
  4. O help! Amazing how you can face some challenging "adventures" just at home! And you had two of them! So glad your foot is healing well! Love how you narrate your weekly adventures! Always sounds like an action-packed week! And lovely shadow from that very yellow "pump"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...what we call a fire hydrant here in the states...yes, it pumps water. Thanks for the visit as always, Gemma.

      Delete
  5. Oh, your foot looks so sore! So sorry this happened and thankful with you that it wasn't worse. Such a freak accident.

    Sweet that you also found humor this week with the garage door. Hope next week is a really uneventful one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all I can say is: It could've been a lot worse.

      Delete
  6. Annie are so sorry to read about the freakish accident you had. Thank goodness for sturdy shoes. I just cringe when I see folks doing yard work in sandals or flip flops
    Hugs
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh ya, scary and senseless indeed.

      Delete
  7. Well, the disclaimer about the blood was paid attention to by me, and we are met with an injury that is rather unattractive. I suppose that a usually hackneyed statement like "it doesn't look so bad" is what you might hear from the uninitiated...I grew up as one of seven kids and all sorts of mishaps occurred. So many people have a greater chance of injury, so in our household, scrapes, abrasions, cuts and breaks were occurring very frequently...I hope that the abrasions and strawberry red color disappears from your foot ASAP...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're so right. Larger families and raising kids never cease to have 'accidents'.

      Delete
  8. Well, my dear, I think you know which photo I prefer. :)

    Shadows Lit with Gold

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't get a chance to see your photo hunt this week. “Ouch” the lawn thing sure sound painful.
    We don't have a garage door opener simple because the door swing instead of going up and down. Plus the roof angle was put on wrong. I won't say anymore but it gives me something to blog about.
    As for cooking I been barbecuing but I bet it hotter there then here.
    I work on my genealogy wish I had more time. For me I found out ancestry dot com and googling things in been my best bet. Well I babal on enough so hope all is well...coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's too hot to even go outdoors and BBQ when the temps reach high 90s and the heat index is over 100!!!

      Delete
  10. Oh Anni - that looks like it hurts - I am so sorry. Hope you will feel better in a couple days. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it did for only a day, then....no problem. Thanks for the concern.

      Delete
  11. There isn't much to be said that hasn't already been said! Ouch! Lucky it wasn't worse...and all that stuff! Glad you are okay now...those things hurt like the dickens! I used to own a landscaping company, and I remember all too well - which is why I refuse to use one anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that I didn't know....about your landscaping company!!! Alas, you're retired now....was gonna hire you. [insert wink]

      Delete
  12. Ouch, sorry sweety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm okay Denise. The song goes, I will survive.

      Delete
  13. Geez oh pete Annie, you were about to be one less foot! I am so glad it is healing properly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, Thank goodness that your foot wasn't any worse. It looks like it would be very painful. Yes, men just don't get it sometimes. LOL

    We had to get new brakes for the van again, but now we have most of the preventative work done. Just need two front tires. We bought some a couple of months ago for the front, but want to get two more and put those ones on the back. I always like the van to be roadworthy.

    So nice catching up with you slowly but surely. The boys have been helping out a lot this summer. They are really good workers for their age. Both are a blessing.

    Take care and keep an eye on your foot for good measure.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I know about the car maintenance -------and the high cost of it all!!!! Glad your grandsons are helping you two out some.

      Delete
  15. Oh that looks so sore :( Do hope it heals quickly! We're off to our Christmas in July now, enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing your foot remind me of the time Bud was power washing our back deck and I put my hand in from if the water shooting out. Man, was that painful. It took flesh and my hand was a bloody mess. I am still scared of those things and do not want to be near one. Typical male comment....does it hurt? Happy Sunday. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the force behind one of those...and to have it actually take the hide right off your hand...that just makes me cringe!!!

      Delete
  17. Oh my, Anni ... I can't believe those string things cut through your shoe and did that much damage ... I wouldn't have thought that they were capable of doing that kind of damage. Hope your foot heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either....but it most certainly does. I've had those things shoot gravel clear across the street when I edge along the bank of the street side of our yard.

      Delete
  18. Hmm....should have unplugged the thing first, eh?
    You'll be out of commission for yard work for a bit...it looks very painful.
    We've been having lots of sandwiches, also, since we've plenty of tomatoes...Butterbeans and Okra are on the menu today, though, along with some meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
    I've been lost in books and cross stitch with not much time to blog.
    I still have to get your little package to the post office.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly, like slapping me on the head and stating "Duh, it shoulda been unplugged, dummy!!"

      Delete
  19. Ahhh that looks painful!

    Diamond shape shadows.
    Have a blessed Sunday.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was for just a day...then, the pain subsided and the healing began.

      Delete
  20. Oh my, that does look nasty. They say most accidents happen at home, and I've found that to be true. Most of injuries have been working around the house. Glad it didn't hurt so much you couldn't sleep. As you requested, letting you know the sunflowers are posted. Hope you enjoy.
    Rubbish by Roan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, I trust the message at the top of your blog is aimed at me. I had an issue but I believe it is cleared up now. Please let me know if it is not ccfarch@live.com.

    That foot looks absolutely painful and must hurt to walk on. I hope you take care of it and get up and around again soon! Love the yellow fire hydrant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry about your foot. I do the weed eating at our place and have worried about something like this happening to me. I don't wear tennis shoes - just study plastic sandals I have had for over 20 years and are on their last year - or two.
    Hope you are feeling better and - as always - your post brings a smile to our faces!

    ReplyDelete

.