“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






They whisper and chant a lovely tune...

...with a hidden sweet scent of Springtime!!


Post shadow - wildflowers in Spring Shadows
Packery Channel Audubon Birding Area
Mustang Island - Texas






CONNECTING TO:



_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


I just finished reading "Mr. Timothy" by Louis Bayard. Pretty darned good. I enjoyed it immensely. It's about a man...a grown man now, from the days of reading about him in my youth---Tiny Tim. Tim Cratchit. Ghostly, surreal and superstitious fiction in a way...yet filled with an exhilarating adventure of a man finding his way; making friends, helping others [especially an orphaned girl he finds in the streets of London] during the Christmas season. Well written, eloquent writing and language so descriptive I was struck into a time and era of long ago [even to the point where I could taste the tea he consumed with his landlady], living his life in words; into a realm of mystery, action and suspense. I think it's a book worth finding and enjoying if you're into this mystery genre.

This week, it's been very quiet around here. Only a couple of days out birding. And that wasn't for long. The heat factor played havoc on enjoying too much time outdoors. I was thrilled to see a few species of birds that I had on my list of those to see/find. Corpus Christi is dubbed the 'birdiest city in the nation'....and it's beginning to hold true to its words. I'm looking forward to it cooling off some, sometime soon. We have marked off many more places to go that are a bit farther from home than just 30 miles or so.

I cleaned house and brought out some patriotic decorations to place around the house...while the temperatures soared outdoors. That is done and the next time that it needs to be done is put on the back burner so to speak. Bud and I had a cribbage best 3 out of 5 games one day...while on another day we played gin rummy. It's like we're bears hibernating in the winter, but for us just to escape the heat.

Saturday morning, we had a nice long soaking rain. It's still overcast and the high will be in the high 80 degree range or low 90s for a change. That, I'll enjoy.

For my large cooking task this week, I made a 13 x 9 inch pan of Cheddar's spasangna. Only mine was meatless. Sometimes we'd much rather eat a little bit lighter meals instead of heavy, fatty entrees. This was delicious. If you've not heard of or have not been to CHEDDARS restaurant, it's very good, family, and not expensive dining. I'm really not sure if it's a Texas only restaurant ---or perhaps it's found only in the South...but great meals at a great price. Anyway, one of my favorite dishes served up there is spasangna. I found a recipe for it on the food network. Close enough...mighty tasty. HERE is the LINK.

Well, like I said, it's been a very quiet week. Not much happenin' at ol' Hooter's Hootin' Anni's. I'm going to post this early, and go through some of my books in my room that have been waiting to be picked up and read....dunno yet which one will strike my fancy.

40 comments :

  1. Lovely flowers and delightful shadows for the day, Anni! I love the colors! Sounds as though you had a good week! Hope your weekend is just as good!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia...hope you had a great weekend too.

      Delete
  2. A lovely flower shot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all about hibernating! I am longing to get out and about to take some photos when the heavy winds and rains finally stop! The cold Winter I can manage! Great little shadows round the flowers! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty wildflowers! The book sounds very good.
    I've never heard of Spasagna, but am checking out the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beach sand offers a stark tan - these wildflowers break up that beach monotony are a beautiful detail!

    This dish seems to be a fine mix of a creamy sauce (alfredo with the sour cream) and Bolognese, an almost perfect blend of comfort food(s). We'll probably try, but in a seaso where you want the additional warmth of the oven :)

    Happy July 4th - we all need to remember people who gave their all to be free of a tyrannical monarchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ralph, and Happy 4th of July to you too.

      Delete
  6. Lovely Spring flowers, it looks so warm cad inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela....thing is, your frosty photos look great about now.

      Delete
  7. I think wildflowers where you don;t expect them are miracles. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shot is lovely today and "Mr. Timothy" sounds fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly....it was quite good, something I didn't expect which made it all the more interesting.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful wildflowers ~ they do brighten up any space!

    Wow, it's hot there! I'd be hibernating too. It has been quite hot here for the past few days, and I'm not fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....I look at it this way, it's better than having to scoop snow and drive on the icy streets with all the 'crazy' drivers. LOL

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good book. Boy, am I glad we decided to retire here! It's one of the few places in the country below 90 degrees. I understand about hibernation against the heat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wishin' we had your temps AND your rain.

      Delete
  11. We have been trying to hibernate against the heat too, but this morning, Dan took me out to get photos for Thursday Theme Song (I think you will really like this next one), and then out to visit an old friend on a farm. It is beastly hot - and tomorrow a cookout for my youngest son's 37th birthday! I think I am getting old! Anyway, hope you stay cool...have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the power holds up and the grid for our section of town continues to whir....the A/C will throw out the coolness we need. Stay cool yourself Linda.

      Delete
  12. I've been so busy with clients. One in hospital another needing a mastectomy.
    But my kids are coming tomorrow, we're going to have a good time.
    Greetings from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to say hello. Hope you had a happy Canada Day.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Glad you liked 'em Denise.

      Delete
  14. These colours are lovely. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are pretty, aren't they? Hope you had a great Sunday too Marleen.

      Delete
  15. Pretty wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd do a little 'preserving' like you did this morning.

      Delete
  16. Even a photo of spring wildflowers soothes my soul!

    Three Shadowy Ants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your shadow this week MMT!!

      Delete
  17. Is it a creeping phlox? Lovely!


    Classic Car Show shadows, come and see.
    Rose, SSS2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...to be honest, I have no idea what the wildflowers are other than pretty. LOL

      Delete
  18. Hi Anni we are hibernating here 3 day of triple digit temps. Worst heat I remember in 63 years....Madi is loving all the shades drawn while sleeping no need to cover her eyes with her sweet little paws.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you too? Our shades are pulled by mid afternoon when the sun comes around to sneak through the window panes.

      Delete
  19. The flowers are beautiful. The recipe sounds really good. I haven't seen a Cheddars up here, but loved going there when I lived in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, their food is great. And not having to do any cooking or Bud having to wash dishes, that's great too. LOL

      Delete
  20. nice post thanks for sharing...blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, giving me a chance to visit with you in return.

      Delete

.