my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...on a collision course?








CONNECTING TO:


USE MOUSEOVER over the image to read what you're seeing...





_ _ _


HODGEPODGE



1. In what way are you your own worst enemy? I used to be a self critic in almost everything I did. Like in projects, be they with the home decor, or crafting, or painting for framing...or sketching...things like that. Oh, and correcting someone that speaks/writes IMPROPER English and spelling...it still irks me when someone says "Him and I" went to the park. When it should be He and I went to the park [I'd say to correct someone---"HE went to the park....not HIM went to the park-it's a simple concept on pronouns. Just drop one and use the other to know exactly which one to use properly".]... or even punctuation like "its nothing" when it should be it's with an apostrophe...or "your just fine" when the use of the contraction of 'you are' should be used...YOU'RE. I guess, at times, I'm still too critical of myself. As I've aged tho, I try not to be; letting flub-ups of craft projects or not inspecting a freshly painted wall for the 20th time for 'thin spots' fall off my shoulders and try to say "100 years from now, Anni, it won't make a difference." I still tend to be too critical of others with our language... which can, at times, be my worst enemy.

2. Jacques Cousteau's birthday was Monday, June 11th...ever been scuba diving? Is that something you'd like to try? What's your favorite 'under the sea' creature? To answer this in sections, the first and second question would be NO to both!! The third, favorite 'under the sea' creature would probably be a dolphin....but I like even the creepy jelly fish and all the beauty you could find beneath the water's surface....a coral is an animal too, tho some would consider it a plant.

3. On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in and around the water? (1=not at all, 10=very) Do you know how to swim and if so how and when did you learn? Let's just say I fear water that goes above my head...or at least where I cannot stand erect and still be above the surface, in water!!! No, I cannot swim....but the comfort being around and in water would be a 5 probably...being depth that would be taken into consideration. I LOVE being on the shore and watching the surf best of all, either while walking and wading ---or on my beach chair just enjoying the sounds and actions around me. Or walking along a riverbank and coming upon a beautiful waterfall...the water cascading and crashing to earth...it's beautiful!!!

4. What's something you do to motivate yourself to tick an item off your to-do list? Just knowing it needs to be done, and no one else around to do it!! In other words...."Gitter done"!!!!

5. What makes a good neighbor? Are you a good neighbor? Being friendly...quiet...respectful of others....help if needed, always make time for a neighbor....am I a good neighbor? I try.

6. Who loads the dishwasher at your house? Is there a right way and a wrong way? I cook....Bud does the dishes.  He does both hand washing and loading dishwasher. If I ask him, he'd probably say "The Right Way is Bud's Way".

7. [fill in the blank] You know it's summer when it gets too hot to do much of anything outdoors.

8. Insert your own random thought here. It's a sad situation in Northern Colorado on the front range of the Rocky Mountains. Reportedly the largest 'forest' fire ever recorded for Larimer County. [will post photos some friends of ours sent us on an upcoming day...for Friday Fragments].
    From Denver News:  "Hundreds of firefighters, aided by air tankers and helicopters, battled the fast-moving fire as it raced across the Colorado Rockies, about 15 miles west of Fort Collins. Flames leaping 15 to 30 feet in the air. The fire is being fueled by dry brush, timber and grasses, officials said. It is growing by 20- to 40 feet a minute and covered some 40,000 acres by Monday night, KUSA-TV, Denver, reported".
I grew up in the foothills of Colorado north of Denver, and raised our family there....I can empathize with the tragedy of this, knowing all too well the hazards of drought and timber...a lethal combination.

PS....I didn't get a chance to visit with those who came my way yesterday...Bud and I were busy measuring, cutting, sanding and staining quarter-round to go along the new floor tiles in the bathroom...when that was done, I brought out the caulking gun and caulked around the bathtub and toilet.  It's done.  So, I'll catch up with everyone today.







CONNECTING TO:

50 comments :

  1. I love your description of a good neighbor, and I bet you really are one!! We don not even have a dishwasher, I can't afford the cabinet space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have one in Colorado either...as you say, more need of cupboard space.

      Delete
  2. Great post! Nice images of the cargo ships.

    I have a friend who lives in the area of the fires. Apart from her house smelling terribly "like a bonfire", she is safe. Not quite close enough to be evacuated but many of here friends have been and have lost their homes. It's a terrible situation. Reminds me of the fires back in my home town a few years back. It was touch and go whether my parents would be evacuated but thankfully after over a week of the fire travelling towards them, the wind turned and they were safe. Disasters like that are tragic. We are more at risk of floods where I live now... especially after the most damaging and widespread floods ever in our state in January 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to see all the devastation.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of the forest fires here in the UK, I guess I should start reading more American news sites as it's a horrid thing to happen and everyone should know.

    Love your definition of a good neighbour too, I try to be there for mine if I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's all you can do...try to be a good neighbor.

      Delete
  4. Grossartige Fotos!!!

    LG Mathilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ship photo! Sometimes they really do seem to be so close!
    Interesting hodgepodge today...I too am a real stickler when it comes to the English language. I used to be a proof-reader and auditor (strange combination, I know), which makes me so much more aware of mistakes. Sometimes, I swear, they leap off the page at me! Thanks for continuing to support WW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. proof reader and auditor...interesting combination.

      Delete
  6. Nice ship shot! I like the good neighbor definition. I try too!
    Sounds like you have quite a project going on - can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh it's just a tiny room, no big deal, so probably no pictures either. LOL

      Delete
  7. By the look, it seems there was a collision. ^_^

    I think I am in my worst enemy on my looks, hehehe! I love sea creatures do not have favorites, do not know how to swim and haven't tried scuba diving ^_^. Thanks for joiningWater World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here with swimming answer. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a huge fear of drowning. LOL

      Delete
  9. The forest fires are so incredibly bad this year.
    I'm the same way with misspellings and bad grammar...especially when a teacher does it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us...on the fires and the English language.

      Delete
  10. Grammaticasters of the world unite! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote a couple blog posts about my "inner stickler" that gets all het up over bad language usage. But as I've gotten older, I don't get nearly as tetchy. Love your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the reason it's my own enemy sometimes, I've caught myself with grammatical errors on my own blogging.

      Delete
  12. Great answers! And a hubby who loads the dishwasher? That's awesome! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he can't cook unless it's on the grill outdoors, so he has to earn his keep somehow. LOL

      Delete
  13. I like your water question. I have to say I'm a ten there - I love being on he water and I am extremely comfortable there. Figures, huh!

    Dishwasher? That's me. There are many right ways to load it. The person who will do it certainly does it the right way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice WW shots....add, keep my outside surroundings pleasing to the eye! to the good neighbor question...this is where my neighbor has failed and I have to look at junk piled up in their driveway! Drives me crazy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have thought about the 'eye candy' for a yard, but you're so right.

      Delete
  15. Such a sad situation with the wildfires. We went to Colorado a few years ago and I absolutely fell in love with it! I'd venture to say it was one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty state, but I think all states have their glory somewhere.

      Delete
  16. Great pictures and title!!
    #1 and #3 I can relate too.
    I cannot believe how often bring and take are misused...i.e. I hear "bring this to so and so all the time". Bring means to fetch, not humanly possible to fetch something to someone, take means seize or obtain. Therefore you have something so you , "take this to someone".
    #3 I was a fish as a child but as I've aged I no longer like to submerge my head either and I am not fond of putting my feet in water if I cannot see what is under the water. LOL
    Madi completely avoids water except what is in her fountain.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't mind water that is over my head, I'm a really good, strong swimmer. What I hate and fear is deep water that I cannot see what's beneath me. I have to know what's under me or I am NOT going in. I do like the way jelly fish look under water too! They are so graceful- of course I know this thanks to the Discovery Channel- not because I care to swim with them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...and the jellyfish colors are super too.

      Delete
  18. they kissed and said goodbye.:p
    wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...like a song in the night.

      Delete
  19. How lovely to live by the sea. I always enjoy your photos Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm surprised! I figured you would be a fish, just because you live by the sea, so that's a stereotype I need to correct in myself.
    Love your photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah....fish are stinky. LOLOLOL

      Delete
  21. Amen on the Grammar Police comments! Those things drive me nuts too! And folks using "I" so much instead of "me". ("He gave it to my wife and I.") I've actually heard people say "my husband and I's house". Arggh!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...someone deserves a head slap with that faux pas

      Delete
  22. I'm a bit of a grammar cop : ) Those fires are so sad... My dad was from Colorado, closer to Denver. I hate to think of all that beauty destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I grew up just outside Denver to the north a bit, and it IS pretty country.

      Delete
  23. I'm a little picky with the grammar thing myself. I fear I'm also a little guilty of making grammatical errors but I do make every effort to avoid them. And when it comes to spelling all I can say is that's why we have a spell checker people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spell checker is good except for flair/flare you're/your and so on.

      Delete
  24. Those fires sound scary! Two years ago, my sixth graders and I read a story about the fires that hit the West back in the late 80's/early 90's (can't remember which year exactly). Now, every time I hear about more wildfires, I think about that story. I'm so sorry for what all of you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos of the ship channel, Anni... That is a gorgeous sky...

    I used to get upset about someone's English---but I just let it go now, since I have quite a few blog friends who struggle with proper English... The one which runs through me the most is "I seen..."

    Those fires in Colorado are horrible. I got a prayer request from a lady who has a good friend who lives in that area --and has had to evacuate... So Sad.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

.