“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






'nother bird image? Why not?

To begin...did y'all get outdoors in the last 24 hours? Why? you ask...well, I'll tellya---today [if you're visiting Saturday night]...if you're here on Sunday, yesterday--it was National Get Outdoors Day. We went and spent about 3 hours at Padre Island National Seashore about 30 miles from home. And it was beautiful. We went early enough that hardly a soul was out walking the shore...all but a few fishermen. Yet, I haven't had much time to get out and search for any interesting shadows this past week. So, I found one image that had such a great shadow in my birding folders that I thought I'd use it for today....




This Great Blue Heron was not afraid of Bud and me! In fact he followed us for quite a distance. Taken along the beach of Port Aransas, Texas.






CONNECTING TO:




_ _ _



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

For most of the week, it's just been too hot and muggy outdoors to do much of anything. We did go walking a few days tho. But not for long. After the sun gets fully in the sky, the humidity builds up and the horizon becomes hazy. That's why they call it hazy, lazy, days of Summer I guess. And it's not quite Summer yet. You wouldn't know it here tho. It's coming in with a vengeance. A couple of weeks ago, I posted about the epiphyllum that finally bloomed after nearly a decade. Well, I've been keeping my eye on three other buds that sat on shortly after the night blossoms from a couple of weeks ago faded away. I forgot to set the alarm to go out at night this past Wednesday, but I did notice the one blossom still open from its night blooming when I opened the Venetian blinds for the day and rushed out to photograph it as it was beginning to close.[this blossom in the photo to the left is the top of the two buds] I then got sidetracked, even from blogging and visiting one day, this week. I received an email from a genealogical volunteer in Missouri this week sending me a photo [three photos actually] attachments of a headstone of one of my brother in law's descendants. And the write up from the cemetery records gave a most rewarding piece of info...including his wife's name. I then used that bit of info to do some more lengthy research and found HER parent's names. I can't ask him or my sister much 'cause I want this to be an unknown to them gift...I think he may be a bit surprised when I add all this to his side of the family for my Christmas gift book!!! I was told he didn't really get a chance to 'know' his father because he died before Al became a teenager. Bud and I did take some time out from searching for vital records to mow and edge the lawn in the back yard. We are now down to doing one yard a week instead of both on the same day. It's just too hot!! Having a lawn that is ankle deep is better than laying in the hospital from heat stroke.  While out doing the backyard work, I noticed all kinds of LARGE ants in both of the hummingbird feeders.  Quite a while ago, as I walked by the dining room windows, I noticed a golden fronted woodpecker  feeding from one of the feeders, and I'm sure that is where the ants came from....so, I had to dump the remaining sugar water out of both and scrub them out and refill them.  The ants....they were creepy huge...about the size of my pinkie's fingernail.  And the sink was loaded with them --- good thing they were already drowned!!!  Ewwww. Oh, and one more thing...I finished the book "World Without End". I am now hoping that in the near future, I am viewing this as a mini-series with my online connection!!! A most wonderful read. The female main character has such a strong influence throughout the book's entire 930 pages!!!! I love strong female characters. It gives us gals hope that all's not so leaving us in the dark ages. Y'know? Yet, still today when I read about how women are not paid equally for the same job a man works, it just irks me. LOL Anyway, back to the book. The sequel to Pillars of the Earth, this one, as I stated before in another blog post is far more appealing to me than the first book. As with Pillars of the Earth, it centers around a village in Old England...Kingsbridge. And the priory, and the builders and commoners of the medieval period. From love stories and family, to corruption in politicking, to nunneries and hidden secrets of royalty...all woven into one very intriguing, much to keep me wanting to read late into the night; turning pages to find out what will happen next!! I highly recommend this one!! You really don't even have to read the first book, the second one is a great story all on its own. I am now within reading a few chapters of my 'new' novel of choice...about New England and the era of witchcraft...but it all begins with a grandmother's home just outside a small New England town of Salem Massachusetts!! The book is entitled "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" written by Katherine Howe [which by the way, on the author inside flap of the book's dustcover, tells us readers she is a descendant of Elizabeth Howe ---one who did NOT survive the Salem Witch Trials of the late 1600s.] From what I've read of it so far, this is gonna be a thriller. Ever since Bud and I replaced the kitchen floor tiles, I've been wanting to redo the master bedroom bath tiles. The bathroom had the same tiles we tore out of the kitchen....and a whole box of leftover tiles...so, Bud and I started doing that and finished within a day's time. Easy peasy job 'cause it is a small room. And to end my summary for the week, as you see above with the two flower buds, there was a third one, on the opposite side of the flower pot...again, I forgot to get up at night to see the full beauty of it, but after the sprinkler system shut off in the back I walked out and got the last of the blossoms with water droplets on the petals. Busy week, a lot got done that we've been wanting to get done. The two of us went to a park within the city one day...very wooded, and I was hoping to see some bird activity. Saw a Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal, lots of Grackles, a few doves and sparrows...along with one of the above mentioned woodpeckers. The only photos they allowed were a few photos before they all scurried from one tree to the next. I got some more great shadow photos within the park, so I can almost guarantee that that is what I'll have for next week's shadows........





58 comments :

  1. That shadow shot is awesome! Crisp and clear, a perfect replica of the bird!
    Love your night blooming flower too. Glad you caught it opened up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW....I sent your image share on global warming to family. They really got a good laugh. All thanks to you.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read the sequel to Pillars of the Earth! But you are tempting me to do so very soon! And adore the blue heron and his artistic shadow! Quite regal! As always, a fascinating post! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now that you mention it....the heron is very regal in its stance.

      Delete
  3. Love that shadow shot! And that bloom - amazing! You are one busy lady...I have a bathroom floor that is tiled in those little tiny hateful tiles - a small 3/4 bath - needs to be taken up and redone. I have the tiles already - have had them for over 3 years - and somehow, just can't seem to get it done! I think I am going to hire my son when we go out of town in July...maybe he can do it while we are gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't trust my son to work in any bathroom....especially while I was gone from home....I'd come home to a flooded room, and who knows what else.

      Delete
  4. The tame Blue Heron is gorgeous! How cool that he is so tame. :))) Yes, we got out doors all right. We have been on the road all day and enjoyed stopping and enjoying short walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Florida is a good place to get out of doors too!!!

      Delete
  5. Great Shadow Shot!
    Lovely Night Blooming Cactus, too!
    I really loved "Pillars of the Earth," then I read "World Without End." It was good, but I didn't think it was as good as the first one. Just to check to make sure, I read "Pillars of the Earth" again! Both are very satisfying reading. I highly recommend them both.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I liked the 2nd part better because it wasn't always building of the cathedral every other chapter.

      Delete
  6. I read both of those books and loved them. I didn't feel one was better than the other, though. LOVE your blossom shots, and the shadow shot was totally awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he handsome? Or she pretty?

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful Blue Heron! And how delightful that he's so tame! That doesn't happen too often! Great post for the day as always, Anni! I love the Night Blooming Cactus! Gorgeous! Hope your weekend is going well! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, dear Sylvia. Your words of encouragement are always welcomed here.

      Delete
  8. I must say that is full post of activity! The picture of the blue heron is fantastic! Your blooms are great. I guess these are all good trade offs for it being to hot to handle the yard work! I'm with you on that one. Have a great weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy what's rest of the weekend too, Chuck!!! [not being a Dork about it right now at least.]

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the blue heron at the beach. And I didn't know there gold woodpeckers too. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick around....I have all kinds of 'good stuff' up my sleeve just waiting to be posted [kidding!!]

      Delete
  10. We saw a Blue Heron in our pond last night while we were fishing. He was fishing, too. Not a welcome sight. :(

    Your bloom is gorgeous!!! Oh...and now I'm ready to read that book know that it doesn't really matter that it was years ago I read the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as far as I'm concerned you really don't have to wait to re-read the first....World Without End is a book in itself.

      Delete
  11. I have never heard of or seen a golden fronted woodpecker, I would love to see a picture. The heron is so impressive by itself, but the great shadow is a big bonus!! I had thought they are so shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a picture of it from when we spotted it in the park....it will be added eventually to my birdin' blog.

      Delete
  12. I didn't realize it was National get outdoors day but I did manage to get some time in outside. I celebrated without even knowing it :) Love the picture of the heron, great shadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....celebrating without even knowing it. I bet Duke knew it was Get Outdoors Day.

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni, Great picture of the Heron.. As I've said recently to someone (maybe you???? ha)---I didn't realize that there are Great Blue Herons all over the country... That is neat!!!! The one I saw in South Carolina was not very friendly!!!! ha

    We've been lucky so far in that we haven't had any extremely hot weather yet. I'm sure we'll get it sometime soon --but so far, so good.

    We have trouble with ants in our hummingbird feeders --but ours are the tiny ones.. I have to spray the poles where the feeders are to keep them off...Even that doesn't work all of the time.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wish I could spray around the area, but Bud would have a conniption fit...he's very much against pesticides.

      Delete
  14. She shrunk in the shadow!

    Shadow Shots post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yep, it sure did. Funny. I like your keen sense of humor.

      Delete
  15. Lovely heron and great shadow shot! And gorgeous flowers on your cactus. I wish you a good sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the wish comes from me to you too.

      Delete
  16. epiphyllum t you described is the one my parents planted. miss the bloom and you wait another decade. Unlike the one my bro in Australia has. lots and lots of blooms and doesn't just bloom at mid night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your parents planted it...in the ground? I'm afraid to here, 'cause it does freeze occasionally.

      Delete
  17. An absolutely awesome captured with the handsome Great blue heron.

    Thumbs Up from Stockholm.

    HAppy SSS2.
    /CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy receiving a 'thumbs up' from you!!!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful shot of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajesh....I always appreciate what you have to post in your comments left for me!!

      Delete
  19. This is perfect picture, two birds in one shot!
    Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet friend....I want you to know I really enjoyed your posting of the art work today too.

      Delete
  20. beautiful shot of the heron - lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Catherine.

      Delete
  21. Wonderful photo of the heron. Reminds me of when I was walking along the beach when we were in Hilton Head last month ... there was a heron who was trying to snack on the fisherman's bait. It was funny to see the heron trying to sneak up to snag a fish or two out of the fisherman's bucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the beach, nothing is ever the very same minute after minute. That's what I like about it.

      Delete
  22. This is such an excellent shadow shot...just perfect for SSS2.
    Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a beautiful Sunday also, bj!!

      Delete
  23. the blue heron is lovely!!! great shot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin...and thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  24. That bud has bloomed into something that looks akin to a sunburst - the flowery one has got to be cooler down there that the humidity enhancer in the sky...I've been to the Gulf around LA and MS with 86 degree water and even warmer skies, that is oppressive (we have humidity up here in CT, but down there you get a veritable steambath 24/7 :)

    Shore birds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right Ralph...it IS a steam bath. But then, on the other hand, I'd prefer this to shoveling snow and driving on icy roads in the winter.

      Delete
  25. ooh, I love your shadow shot this week. that's one of my favorite birds. from reading your summary I've discovered that though we are on opposite ends of the country, we're doing similar yard work. I just finished edging my lawn too - all the sidewalks, driveway, etc. It hadn't been done since I moved here 5 years ago, so there was a whole lot of sod to get rid of. what a job, but one good thing - it was in the 50's and 60's when I was doing it. Today - 90 degrees and very humid. We're getting the gulf air. And it's terribly dry here to. Hoping for some rain tomorrow when it's supposed to cool off. happy week to you Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heron is quickly becoming a favorite of mine too...that one, and the cormorant. Glad you enjoyed my shadow today Becky.

      Delete
  26. This is such a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marleen...glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  27. Gorgeous shot of the heron and its shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now that is not only a cool shadow shot, but a spectacular one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....Paula, thanks so much for the positive feedback.

      Delete

.