my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


little yellow post-it & book review


I can't believe how quickly I read through the entire book, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katerine Howe. It's again the kind I like...an historical novel, based on fact. [Deliverance Dane was actually a 'witch' during the trials of Salem - and the author, which I noted in a previous post regarding the book...the author is related to Elizabeth Howe, also accused back in 1692.]  The book carries you away back to late 17th century, the era of the great witch panic in Salem Massachusetts. Connie, alive in the 1990s, the main character, a PhD candidate for American History, stumbles into a realm of mystery, witchery, and suspense by traveling to her Grandmother's house, crumbling and decaying...hidden from most in a town near Salem. The main character, Connie, goes on a search for answers and a certain book, that holds and perhaps will answer a 300 year mystery. It's a very good read; but with faults. At least in my estimation. The New England dialogue was hard to decipher at times, which made me realize this was a book I was reading...keeping me from truly dipping down and becoming one with the story. Also, I found several highfaluting words that I've never seen before in my six decades of life!! Words that were for a rocket scientist. This too made me stumble. I can't understand authors sometimes...with usage of undecipherable words that a common, ordinary person, would not know the meaning....they want their book to become a national bestseller...so, why the lack of common everyday language?!! I read it with pleasurable satisfaction. The historical detailing was immense, and worthy of learning more than I already knew. Altho fiction, it was very well researched and  'held its own' with an expected intensity of a good, but most certainly a tumultuous. adventure back in time. There also was an object that Connie found in her Grandmother's bible from the early 1700s...a key...which you see on the hardback dustcover of the book ---Ms. Howe never did explain the meaning of it clearly. Yet, I'd recommend this to those interested in witchcraft and/or history of this era of the 17th century New England. I am now currently reading a comedy novel, published in 2002 by Dave Barry...remember Dave Barry's satirical comedy columns in the newspaper decades ago? The book is "TRICKY BUSINESS" with a 'cast' of characters from senior citizens to the mafia. All taking place in Florida. Crime, gambling, humor, suspense [and terribly foul language...which I dislike]...wrapped into a pretty darned good book so far. My favorite characters are the old farts from the nursing home...Arnie and Phil...they are absolutely hilarious!!!! Arnold and Phil, two refugees from the Beaux Arts Senior Center aboard a gambling ship during a tropical storm off the coast of Florida's peninsula.



...and as I leave you my book review, I'd like to add this note....


I ADDED NEW BIRD PHOTOS to " I'd Rather B Birdin' " on Sunday afternoon!!  A black chinned hummingbird, a rare Eurasian Dove, Mama & Ducklings, A Great Blue Heron [preening], a Curlew, and a Northern Shoveler. [link found on my sidebar]  When I return, I will post  here about our experience while birding and a reptile of hugeness!!!!  Stay tuned.

NOTICE: my thursday theme song meme still goes...if you wish to participate and leave a link.  I'll visit with you if you leave a link on the meme's homepage.  When I return, I will catch up with those who stop by in my absence.  I need time to concentrate on a genealogy project and some 'duck hunting' ---that's what Bud and I now call our birdin' treks.  See you soon.

30 comments :

  1. I hope you are feeling well are taking a break for fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine...just working on genealogy...again.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely going to have to find that book now! Very good review! Hope you enjoy your blogging break - I will be taking one before too long. "See" you on Thursday! Have a successful duck hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your themesong this week Linda. Yep, very good book.

      Delete
  3. The Physick book is sitting on my coffee table right now. Heather just bought it this weekend. Now I'll have to read it too!
    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me what you both think of it when you've read it!!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your time off, Anni, and I'll see you when you get back. Have a good blogging break! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on my genealogy stuff that I came across this past week...it's a long drug out and boring job. But if I find something I'll be very pleased.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your break ... see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'll be online sporadically until I get through all the names. LOL

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy reading....
    Enjoy the break.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. S --- hope you're having a good week.

      Delete
  7. sounds like a good book. Hope you enjoy your break

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann....yes, it was quite a good book.

      Delete
  8. Anni have a well deserved break and happy duck hunting! We hope you take lots of gorgeous pictures to share
    Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a few photos, but it was mostly sitting at the computer doing genealogy research.

      Delete
  9. I too cannot understand sometimes the use of big words in the author's work so I just get the dictionary and look for the word :D

    Enjoy your vacation Ms Anni. God bless you ♪( ´θ`)ノ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It boggles the mind...the atrocious words that make us commoners have to stop and reach for a dictionary...it spoils the book in my opinion. LOL

      Not really on vacation, just doing some research for genealogy.

      Delete
  10. thanks for the review and recommendation. historical fiction is my favorite!!!
    enjoy your break!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it then, if that is the genre you like best.

      Delete
  11. Oh no! Books are my weakness and now I have another one I want to read! LOL Seriously, it sounds like a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was very good....hope you can find it and read it soon.

      Delete
  12. Will miss you, praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise....it's just a long drug out affair doing research online. That's all.

      Delete
  13. Happy ducking!!!!
    Greetings from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I enjoyed catching up with your adventures today too.

      Delete
  14. Hearing about the books you read reminds me of my Mother. She loved reading books and could read one in no time at all. Her favorite author was Stephen King, though she read a variety of books.
    Happy Duck Hunting! I hope you find many and I look forward to seeing pictures of what you find. We all need a break from our routines every now and then. Hope you enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...we did take a few hours off this week to go duck hunting. LOL

      And I've tried to read some Stephen King novels, the only one I really liked was Cujo...the others I've read all ended terribly for me. LOL Not what I was expecting....y'know?

      Delete
  15. I had to come back after reading the last comment you left on my blog. Oh my gosh you have me in stitches.

    ReplyDelete

.