“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






It's all sour grapes to me!! Stingers!

WARNING: Weekend Funnies' content is adult language, beware of who's reading...





For Camera Critters prompt, I show you this creepy stuff...Up in the rooftop rafters of a bird observation deck, I spied this nest [no tasty honey from this bunch...but, scroll down for a taste treat]...




_ _ _




Here's what I've read [text below, copied...not mine] after seeing this 'tree' along Shoreline Drive the other day while out walkin'.  I was curious if in fact the 'grape' was edible, for the Saturday Photo Hunters' challenge, "taste"....

seagrape bush
    Known as Uva de Playa in Spanish (Uva meaning grape and Playa meaning beach, it is literally "grape of the sea." They are very hardy, can get quite tall and make great shade. You may not recognize it, however. It is a sprawling bush or small tree that is found near sea beaches throughout tropical America and the Caribbean, including southern Florida. It reaches a maximum height of 8 meters (24 feet), but most specimens are little more than 2 meters tall. It has large, round, leathery leaves with a primary vein that has a red color extending from the base, and the entire leaf turns red as it gets ready to drop from the tree. The bark is smooth and light colored. In late summer it bears purplish fruit, about 2 cm in diameter, in large grape-like clusters. The fruit itself is grape like although a bit tougher than the ordinary grape and it has one large seed as opposed to several small ones. They remain green and hard for a long time but eventually one by one they change to their mature deep purple color. They hang in bunches, each one with a single seed, and are about the size of regular grapes. When fully mature, they become soft and have a sweet-sour taste making them great for use in jams and jellies. It is possible to make an alcoholic beverage made from the grapes, similar to wine. Sea grape is highly tolerant of salt spray and salty soils as well as strong sun and wind. It is often planted as a windbreak near beaches and as a hedge or barrier around shopping centers and parking lots. Sea grape makes a fine shade tree - we have it planted in the center of Mayan Beach Garden and it supplies a great shady spot. You won't see too many of these unless you live in a tropical area because the tree is unable to survive frost. However, it is moderately tolerant of shade, and highly tolerant of salt, so it is often planted to stabilize beach edges and prevent erosion; it is also planted as an ornamental shrub. It attracts fruit loving birds.








CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters
June Photo Hunt Categories:
2nd ~ Taste
9th ~ Clean
16th ~ Ripple
23rd ~ Hot
30th ~ Flash



_ _ _


WEEKEND FUNNIES

Just a couple of observations this time 'round!! First off, with the June's list of prompts for the Photo Hunt [see above]....I have a question. The 23rd it has "HOT" and the very following week, the 30th, it is "FLASH"....what does that tell you? I see hot flash in the future.

Okay, then on with my 2nd 'observation' this week. My son, Erik, sent me this in my email and it goes like this:

From a teacher -- short and to the point:
    In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

42 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by....twofold...1] just to know you visited and 2] I had a chance to read your most recent post on convictions.

      Delete
  2. Interesting about the Sea Grapes! The capitalization thing is funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....or lol....depending on who's reading. Glad you enjoyed your time spent here today.

      Delete
  3. I just about fell off my chair laughing at the capitalization

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me make sure I use the correct capitalization here.....pick yourself up girl.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about the Sea Grapes. Even though I live on the waterfront I have never seen them so am guessing we are too far south.

    Loved the capital letters funny. Pinching it for my facebook.

    My dogs loved the taste I gave them this week.
    http://hindmarsh-island.com/?p=683

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwww, cute, cute, CUTE doggie treats.

      Delete
  5. Always learn something new over here with you, Annie. You do bring chuckles.

    How's that tea cup ... busy?
    Have a beautiful weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi....oh, trust me, the tea cup has been used. And the raspberry tea biscuits were gone the very day they arrived. hehehhehe

      Delete
  6. the purple ones must be beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine so, but to be honest I've never seen them at their ripened stage.

      Delete
  7. OMG! This is funny...and I LOVE that sea grape - I wanted to bring one back from Florida but I know it wouldn't live here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No....I've heard even around there they freeze quite quickly with a deep drop in temps.

      Delete
  8. i don't mind hornets' nests - if they're very high up and away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like 'em at all...at all. LOL

      Delete
  9. Wonderful sea grapes, but aj aj aj, I'm scared of hornests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am scared too....it was so far up from me, when I photographed it, that I didn't see the activity until I got home and uploaded the photo to the computer.

      Delete
  10. Yikes, wouldn't want to try to get honey from that hive! Ick! I'd never heard of Sea Grapes...seeeee, told ya I learn something from you every day! lol That is so interesting, they really do look like grapes. It always amazes me the variety of plants and such that only grow in certain areas.

    From now on I'll always make sure I use capital letters when needed! ROFL xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better remember!!! LOLOLOL

      Delete
  11. A house a couple of blocks from me has champagne grapes growing on his fence - I should go look to see if they're photo-ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, I bet that is a pretty sight.

      Delete
  12. Oh boy a hornets nest run Forest run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot but my camera critters is on my Tickle Berry Moon Blog
    http://tickleberrymoon.blogspot.com/2012/06/taking-summer-day-by-day-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saun....glad you stopped by so I could go over and visit with you, and read about your life and view your great photos.

      Delete
  14. Those are critters I don't want to be around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, Pat....me either.

      Delete
  15. At one time there where some birds that used to come in and build a nest in our chimney. The worst thing actual was the bird dropping down the side of our home.
    Here in North Idaho not many grapes are grown...Mine is up and the coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not grapes, but I've seen a LOT of hops growing in Idaho.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for clearing up the confusion on capital letters...that was hilarious and wise!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The hive looks scary. I've never heard of sea grapes, thanks for the info. Cute funnies this week, Anni! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great Sunday too Eileen.

      Delete
  18. Great photos and please note we are carefully capitalizing!

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I never know just how to do 'lol'....but guess it makes no difference on my part for that.

      Delete
  19. I think I've seen that kind of grape vine where I came from, it's familiar.

    Visiting a little late from Camera Critters, here's my entry, hope you can still take a peek, your comment will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  20. awww! oh where are the bees could be? beautiful shots too :-) Dropping by from Camera Critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed having you visit with me Jessica

      Delete

.