my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


HOT in pursuit?

Okie dokie....for the last two posts I've created a bit of suspense with mention of the reptilian creature.  Did you follow my lead?  Did you try and guess what kind it was?  Let me explain what we were doing and where we were at the time of our encounter.  I can't even recall what day of the week it was now, I'm thinking since the images are titled June 15th...well, that was the day. LOL What with all I've been doing with my genealogy research, I do know it was close to a couple of weeks ago.  It was hot and steamy, and we leave early to drive to the island in hopes of seeing a new bird here and there.  We stopped at Paradise Pond in Port Aransas on Mustang Island and walked around on the raised board walk and observation decks only to find nothing worth mentioning.  The town of Port Aransas has drained the pond while they work at getting rid of a very invasive tree...a non-native Brazilian Pepper Tree, and replacing them with tree saplings.  But, with the lack of a full pond, the birds that we do chance to see are very few.  There are two small springs that feeds just a trickling of water for the birds and other four legged creatures.  That particular day, only a youngster of a raccoon was seen at one of the natural springs.  And no sooner had I aimed my camera it scurried back off into the greenery to not be seen again. It was a cute booger that I'll give you. It didn't make a sound as it stopped to quench its thirst and then...move on. So....nothing there. We loaded our camera and binoculars back in the car and drove through the street in town that comes off the ferry and along the channel and drove to the beach to walk some along the shore. It was getting crowded and people were staking their camping areas by the time we left to go to the birding refuge....Leonabelle Birding Refuge. Now here, you have to park and then walk back into the natural reed pond a city block maybe in distance. Once through the parkway, and turning toward the water, you come upon another raised above water boardwalk. With cattail reed high on both sides of you. You walk through this for a short distance to come out in the open area where the birders are lined up with cameras, binoculars and their printed guides looking for the special bird they haven't marked off their 'to see' list. Of course once out in the open area, to the left there are some perches that are constructed in the water for the waterfowl. I have yet to go there when the cormorants are NOT there. That day it was no different. But, very few to be seen tho. As we leaned against the wooden bannisters to watch them for a while, I happened to see from the corner of my eye a dark object below me --------just a foot below my own feet!!!!!! From the boardwalk to the water's surface is about six to eight inches. Of course, I had to see what I was seeing, and looked down to my left....I whispered to Bud...."Look down, look down"!!! There, just inches away from us was this humongous alligator. I'm talking huge!!! My estimation would be about 10 to 12 feet from snout to tail tip. It was just taking its time slinking and slithering out in the more open part, away from the reed...heading toward the cormorants. And the cormorants were keeping their protective vigil on the progress of said alligator! The alligator, [there are two in the swamp here, and the city has named them...Boots and Bags as in alligator boots and alligator bag I'm assuming], made its way away from us ----headed not toward the cormorants in hot pursuit, but fled straight to another reed alcove that is shaded for that particular hour in the day to cool off I bet. We have stopped in this area for a couple of years off and on now that we have become interested in birding, and have never seen the alligators. Tho we knew there were there all the time, and once up on the observation deck about 20 feet above water you can see traces of their moving around in the muddy waters because of the 'trail' just below the water's surface. After that excitement and taking several photos....I walked ahead of Bud and tried to find some bird that I needed to cross off my list of birds to see. I found only ONE, and took more photos for my bird blog for a future post. But, I can't just leave y'all hanging here without seeing our close encounter of the natural kind.....


just inches away from me exposed feet [I wear sandals]









Enlarge 'em to get better acquainted...






before I knew it, it was no longer in the hot sun...but making its way to a cooler retreat





CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters
June Photo Hunt Categories:
2nd ~ Taste
9th ~ Clean
16th ~ Ripple
23rd ~ Hot
30th ~ Flash

53 comments :

  1. Wow, great story, Anni! I am not so sure about seeing the gator. But as long as it wasn't too close. Great shots and I love the shot with the cormorants. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I got over the shock and got back home, I realized just HOW close it was to me.

      Delete
  2. Photos are great and this was a wonderful read. Thanks Anni. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading of our 'gator excursion Denise.

      Delete
  3. I'd be keeping my feet away from that critter!

    Great shots for this week's theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. realizing just how close it was, my toes still curl back when I think about it.

      Delete
  4. Too close for me! Glad your toes survived this. :)
    I really like the shot of the alligator and the cormorants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....kinda too late to run after the fact tho....but the thought crossed my mind.

      Delete
  5. wow that was some experience! lovely images!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks....there were many emotions I felt...thrill, fear, excitement, wonderment, trying to believe its size...stuff like that.

      Delete
  6. I love your photos! Seeing that gator reminds me of our visit to the Everglades National Park back in March. We were right there with the gators ... at the time, I wasn't too concerned ... it was later that evening that I realize just how close we were! :-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you should sell all your belongings and your home and buy an RV...retire and travel all rolled into one.

      Delete
  7. I have seen alligators move, and I can tell you, they move fast when motivated! I am glad you weren't any closer to him! I prefer seeing them from the safety of a moving boat - a LARGE one! Or, inside an enclosure, like the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine...nice and safe! This was an amazing opportunity though...great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had a fleeting thought of reaching down and touching it....but I like my hand too much and thought better.

      Delete
  8. Great story and wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! And you were wearing sandals? Still got two legs? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me check...yep, two legs and I counted 'em....ten toes. Still intact.

      Delete
  10. all i can say is... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, great story, ann, i thoroughly enjoyed it:)

    i love your photos, they are always worth the look!

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by today....and, have a great weekend yourself.

      Delete
  12. really amazing! beautiful but treacherous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and scary, don't forget scary. LOL

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness!!! BOOTS for you from now on, when you go there!! I love your photos, especially of him slithering away because it shows the long tail so well!! And the whole body. Now why are those birds NOT flying away?? Maybe they are used to him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are...used to having it around.

      Delete
  14. Wow what a thrilling story! I am so glad we have no alligators around here so I can still wear sandales when I go for a walk....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I could probably have 3" thick boots and that would not stop this creature from biting my foot off.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed reading...if not just for the entertainment of me getting a bit jittery being so close to this 'monster'. LOL

      Delete
  16. Oh my! That looks like a pretty big alligator you had a close encounter with, Anni! :O

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, I don't think I could get near a gator lol. Beautiful shots Anni.

    Our Dog BOLT, please come and see. Your comment will mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to BE that close...but 'it' happens.

      Oh and by the way....BOLT is a sweet one!

      Delete
  18. that was kind of a close encounter :) great photo opportunity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed...some great photo ops.

      Delete
  19. Great story and photos, they made me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading 'bout our encounter.

      Delete
  20. Great story. Scary encounter. Glad we don't have them where I live, though we do have snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like snakes either!!!

      Delete
  21. YIKES!!! I would have been freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. run for the border, eh Ann?

      Delete
  22. Taking pictures of birds or any wild life sure isn't all that easy. I find it luck and willing to just sit and wait for that right shot.
    We sure don't have alligator here or much in the reptile line, nothing big.
    Our big animals here is a moose and grizzly bear.
    Well Thanks for stopping by and remember the coffee is always on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was chased by a mama brown bear once...now THAT was scary.

      Delete
  23. What a story and what a huge alligator! I'll keep the lizards in our garden :) Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lizards...ya, more my speed too.

      Delete
  24. I enlarged the photos, but really don't want to get better acquainted. Scary! Rubbish by Roan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, even enlarging them as photos just sends a bit of a chill down the spine, doesn't it?

      Delete
  25. Very nice post excellent content. Keep up the good work.
    HVAC Contracto Cocoplum

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's Hotter than I would care to be!
    I don't think I'd need to get any better acquainted either.
    Now we get to 'Flash' next weekend.
    Happy Hunting ~
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....but it wasn't until I got home that I got kinda jittery just thinking how easily I could have been snapped up by those jaws. LOL

      Delete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

.