“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Shadows and Summaries

Made me think of the song...Elanor Rigby...I don't know why.
Nuecestown Historical Cemetery







CONNECTING TO:




- - -



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

A few weeks back, I got this [in Dr. Seuss mode] "this wonderful, awful idea".  Wonderful 'cause it's a way of posting and saving all my bird photos online...awful, 'cause it entailed more computer time than I expected.  Still, all in all, it has been a fun, at times frustrating, challenge.  You see, I have so many bird photos on my computer, and copied on disks, that I thought it's more or less a waste to have them and not use them somehow.  I've even been wanting to find a duplicate wall frame with the eight collage sections to put my 'all time' favorite hard copy photos of birds [like the sunset/beach photos of mine] - but have yet to find the very same frame.  I kick myself for not buying two, but the inspiration for doing one of birds didn't come about soon enough.  Oh well...that's life.  In the meantime, I've been slowly working on framing my digital images and then will add them to a new blog I'm going to try and keep up with as time allows....I'D RATHER B BIRDIN'.  I am hoping to add five or more framed images to each post, and do a post, hopefully, once a month.  If you'd like to view my newly designed blog, the link I provided in this post will take you to my first ten photo edition.   And I will use my 'bumper sticker' on my sidebar as a permanent fixture to direct to the birdin' blog of mine. One thing that gave us a bit of anticipation this week was a potted plant outdoors. We've had it for nearly ten years now...and all it's done is 'sit there'. We've babied and coddled it...taking it in during the winter when the nights would drop below 50 degrees [it suffers badly with chilly nights]. Then, this past month I noticed a flower bud!!! TWO in fact [and more small ones coming on as I type]. I have been keeping a vigil on those two buds and recording their progress. Friday night I had to set the alarm clock for 2a.m.!!!! You see the plant blooms only at night!! The plant is an epiphyllum!!  [mine is epiphyllum-guatamalense] I figured by the buds' formation around dinner time Friday, that they'd be open Saturday morning. I got up....loaded the camera....went outdoors....and I was just BLOWN AWAY BY THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL!!! Amazing. Also, this week landscape redesigning along the south side of the house near the foundation...where I put the red bark intermixed with the climbing rose and hibiscus and fairy figurines...we had a nasty, long lasting, rainstorm a week ago at the beginning of the week, and that area flooded...washing out a lot of the bark. So, waiting 'til after it dried out some, we both worked at edging the sides of the air conditioning unit to hold back the bark more. Only time will tell if the idea works. I cleaned out all of the hummingbird feeders. And as soon as I rehung them, they came flocking in like dive-bombers!!! They're so cute. And unafraid it seems. Another day this week, after driving home from the island and beach walk, we stopped at our usual bookstore to see what was on sale....I found the newest George W. Bush's autobiography [Decision Points] that I've been wanting and waiting for it to go for a cheaper price. I bought two...regularly $35 a piece...I got two for $10. Plan on giving one edition to our son next time he comes to town since he teaches government at a university in Houston. Oh, and I gotta share with you my flub of the week!!! I bought some wrought iron poles with the fleur de lis on top - for my climbing passion vines. When I went out to get them steadied in the ground near the vines, I noticed within the hour that the purple one was wilting fast and furious....  I cut the root!! If I'm lucky, I will be able to find another just like it and start over...but, I'm thinking the passion vine season is over at the plant nurseries!!! Maybe, I'll hafta wait 'til next year to replace it. After that fiasco, we edged and mowed lawn. When it rains a lot, the grass'll grow. LOL I'm gonna add the photo recording of the progress of the epiphylum buds to blossom :






















above: certain days recorded in the month of May
below...May 19th...Saturday Morning @ 2 a.m.!!! ...they're HUGE - about the size of a large pie serving saucer








68 comments :

  1. Hi! I like your shadow photo a lot. And you are lucky having a blooming epiphylum. I have red ones that doesn´t flower att the moment. I had big one ten years back that flowered some time now and then though. I think they need to be big before they bloom.
    Thanks for commenting on my blog!
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing this bloom, finally, I'm inclined to want more and different species!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! I have never had one of those...and aside from some carnations I want, I think I have run out of room for any more flowers! Good luck on the new blog...I will check it out, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about 'more room'....but, I figure 100 years from now it won't make a difference, so why not add more. LOL

      Delete
  3. Neat shadow shot! I also love that 2am shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 a.m.........just call me crazy. But, I'm glad I did get up to see it in its glory!!!

      Delete
  4. a photographer never sleeps...is that what you are saying anni. great shadow shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I guess that DOES sum it up alright, Robin. LOL

      Delete
  5. Amazing! Your epiphylum is absolutely gorgeous....you were so patient babying that flower, you deserve such a show Annie! Thanks for the "show" we enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked viewing the gorgeous flower. There are more buds setting on...I can't wait. LOL

      Delete
  6. that is an amazing flower, and so big. I love flowers, they are my thing, like birds are yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a flower fetish....but since we've moved here, the birds are incredible too.

      Delete
  7. Now THAT flower is worth getting up in the middle of the night for! I'll go over and visit your new bird blog, that's a great idea, even if a bit time consuming. Do those night blooms have a smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know...I was never wide awake enough to think of smelling the blossoms. So, I don't know. Will have to remember to take a 'whiff' when the buds that are setting on...blooms.

      Delete
  8. Wow! fantastic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the song Eleanor Rigby is haunting as is the photo
    beautifully so
    I like the texture of the tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too...I thought the texture of the bark was pretty cool.

      Delete
  10. Bin ganz begeistert über diese wundervollen Blumen, aber auch das Licht und Schattenspiel vom Kreuz gefällt mir sehr.
    Ganz wundervolle Bilder!!

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blossom and its beauty just blew me away too, thanks Tilda.

      Delete
  11. Love the4 shadowy cross and the beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting song choice to go along with the shadow - McCartney is a great songwriter, but this one, even if full of metaphor, is a bit depressing of a solitary life lived...perhaps if I lived along the gulf coast, marshes and inland waterways, I would be birding a lot more - there has to be the amazing waterfall like herons to watch! Lovely and unique (to this northerner) flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herons are one of my favorites around this part of the country...I see a lot, and never tire of them.

      Delete
  13. Love your Old Rugged Cross and for some reason it makes me pause and just think. In a good way, too.

    Night flowers are so neat and this is a lovely variety. I bet they smell wonderful, too, in order to attract moths. I've grown Moonflowers before and they smell heavenly! Wish I'd planted some this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. attracting moths...I never thought of that...first thing I thought of was bats. But, I'm not even sure there are bats around our neighborhood. Good thinking Kelly.

      Delete
  14. Hi Anni, I love your new bird blog. My birds here are so different than seeing all of the shore birds.. SO--I really enjoy seeing your collection.

    I thought you would say something about Ducky on NCIS... I'm glad to hear that he signed a new contract... Those cliffhangers on most of the shows are just that: cliffhangers!!!!!! Hopefully, Palmer will save Ducky....

    Happy Sunday.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never crossed my mind that Palmer may save him...I kept thinking someone is bound to be walking the beach...but it looked so desolated!!! You're probably right!!!

      Delete
  15. What a pretty flower.
    Thanks for stopping by..come again soon.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJ!!! I'm sure glad you found time to stop by and gimme a good ol' Texas Howdy from your part of the 'woods'!!!!

      Delete
  16. That reminds me that I have to do my hummer feeders as it got so warm here..this is a lovely post...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so far, we haven't had the heavy influx of the 'hummers this season. But a few are showing up here and there.

      Delete
  17. Enjoyed the excellent photos of your epiphyllum. Years ago I had the epiphyllum phyllantus - but I didn't have to get up at night to watch it bloom. It was absolutely stunning. It was only open at the tip one day - large as a breakfast plate in circumference - and then closed up again. Mine finally bloomed when it was root-bound, not before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that before that it needs to have crowded roots!!! It was very nice to have you visit with me today Karin.

      Delete
  18. New look here, flower power!
    That shadow shot is great...dark but not hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flower power indeed...it was huge!!

      Delete
  19. Lovely shadow shot. That flower is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous flower! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ms. Anni oh we are so late for the 'party'!! Bad Mom is all I have to say about our tardiness. Anyway we enjoyed your magical post and your Sunday Summary and pictures. It sounds like you have a pack of hummers. We always have our faithful pair to return each year. They usually have at least one baby. We are thankful for the thrilling pack though. Yesterday will eating lunch the male Rubythroated came right up to the dining room window to say hi to mom she nearly choked on her iced tea.
    Hugs Madi.
    PS we are getting lots of very nice comments on our new header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear all the positive remarks you two are getting. It's been kinda quiet around here this year too, with hummingbirds. Dunno why either.

      Delete
  22. If you have to have your name on the photo, I would prefer to see it at the bottom of the picture, not running through the middle of the flower. It is so distracting! Otherwise, it is a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, Margaret, I'm not blogging for YOU...it's my blog. And my preference is to have my watermark in the MIDDLE of my image to discourage theft.

      Delete
  23. Nice Shadow Shot - I like the way you framed it.
    Love your Night-Blooming Cactus, too! Beautiful!
    My cactus blooms in October - I didn't know that some bloom in the Spring. (If you would like to see my cactus in bloom, click on my label - Night Blooming Cactus)
    Thanks for your visit and comment on my Shadow Shot blog post - Cantaloupes.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the invitation to view your flowering cactus!! It is gorgeous. I'm wondering tho, is your plant in the ground or potted?

      Delete
    2. Since our winters can be quite cold here in northern Mississippi, the cactus is in a large/extra large flower pot. We drag it indoors soon after it blooms in October, and then tote it back outside around Easter. We put it in a shady spot on our porch that gets sun only in the early morning. There it stays quite happily all summer until it blooms in the autumn. Then back into the house it goes.
      Happy gardening!
      Lea
      Lea's Menagerie

      Delete
    3. Gotcha...for a while, while viewing your images of yours, I thought perhaps you had it in the ground!!!

      Delete
  24. I love those blooms!


    Thanks for constibuting to Shadow Shot Sunday!
    Light Shining through petals, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post was very nice too Rose. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  25. Sorry I'm so late getting around, but I do love your shadow shot for the day and what beautiful, HUGE flowers, Anni! Hope you had a good weekend and a great week ahead!!

    sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia....thanks for the special effort to come visit with me!!! It means a lot!!!

      Delete
  26. I love your shot of the cross, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that first shot and the flower is gorgeous. I'll have to check out your other blog as soon as I get myself caught up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and Duke playing...now that's all worth it.

      Delete
  28. Wow, you are starting a bird blog...how cool!!!! We are bird watchers and I always so much enjoy your birds...Texas has more than any state, plus they all migrate through there. It is Bird Heaven! Your flower does not look like a night bloomer, I never would have guessed. It is stunning!!! Did you know that some flowers bloom at night so the night flying moths can pollinate them? I am off to check out your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought was bats...but you ladies who thought of moths, that is so correct. Probably more so than bats.

      Delete
  29. I love the blooms, they're perfect!
    Elanor Rigby seems to be the most fitting song for your cross pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us thinking of Elanor Rigby.

      Delete
  30. Magical flower shots...sobering cross shot...life in its ups and downs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by MMT!!

      Delete
  31. Wonderful gathering of light, shadow and texture! Extraordinary sense of drama in the stillness! Beautiful! And so love your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. shadows are Ok, but I loved the gorgeosu flower you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete

.