my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




ROSE HILL - Memorial Day Scene

Memorial Day is always the last Monday in May...beginning after the Civil War to remember those who died serving their country.  But as I grew up, it was always to go to cemeteries and decorate graves of family members.  To me, it's always been a memorial remembrance of family members who  have left us behind. 
    From Wikipedia: By the early 20th century, Memorial Day was an occasion for more general expressions of memory, as people visited the graves of their deceased relatives in church cemeteries, whether they had served in the military or not.
And for me, Veteran's Day in November each year was memorializing those in the military - past and present.  I still tend to think this way.  Today, this weekend...it's visiting cemeteries---


Bud and I like to visit historical cemeteries as you know if you follow my blog. While walking along the jogger path/bike path between Portland Texas and Corpus Christi recently, we came upon an historical marker [I will publish the marker photo on an upcoming post with other photos of that area] that tells us of the devastating hurricane that swept through Corpus Christi in 1919. On the marker it says that at one time just shortly after the hurricane, there was a mass grave near the spot where the sign stands....only to have the bodies moved after the clean up from the hurricane was complete...the bodies were moved to Rose Hill Cemetery within the city's city limits. Rose Hill Cemetery is one we visited. In search of the mass grave marking...tho, we didn't find it 'cause we weren't sure where it was exactly, and the cemetery is HUGE!! I went online after our walk to see if we could find the exact spot [I will have to call the caretakers], and then return there sometime in the future. Rose Hill was dedicated Feb. 7, 1914. Robert O. Turner says a carpenter who broke his neck in a fatal fall from a scaffold, was the first to be interred there. Since then, there have been 7,400+ interments at Rose Hill. Superintendent C. J. Mauren estimates there is enough space left to accommodate Corpus Christi for another 50 years. Three former mayors of Corpus Christi are buried at Rose Hill. They are Roy Miller, who died in 1946, Clark Pease, 1929, and Dan Reid, 1909. Among other enduring names on monuments there are A. E. Spohn, who died in 1918 and for whom Spohn Hospital is named. Two impressive Italian marble memorials mark the graves of John W. Scott who died in 1867, and Charles George T. Baron de Lovenskiold. The latter was born in Coppenhagen and died in Corpus Christi in 1875. These two graves hold remains originally buried elsewhere (probably at Old Bayview) and later transferred to Rose Hill. One of the most noteworthy memorials in any of the Corpus Christi cemeteries is the Rodriguez monument at Rose Hill. It is dedicated to the memory of Martin Rodriguez, Navy gunner’s mate 3rd class, who died at sea, and Army Private first class Julio B. Rodriguez, who is buried in a foreign country. To their memory was erected the monument on which a jungle scene and a torpedo attack at sea are etched in color. An eight-ton rock of granite at Rose Hill marks the area set aside for unidentified victims of the 1919 hurricane here. There are no individual grave markings and the plot has the appearance of an open lawn. In another small group are former Catholic priests and sisters of the Catholic church. The Navy has a section containing 23 graves of men who died at the Naval Air Station. Most of them are foreigners – from Brazil, Argentina and Chile. In one area known as Babyland are 460 little graves. None of the graves is more than five years old. There are five mausoleums at Rose Hill. Inscribed above the doors are Carver, Jones, Foster, Dunkerley and Dunn. Another is planed by the Donigan Estate as soon as material is available, Mauren said. Anyway, while walking throughout the beautiful cemetery, I was struck with awe of how well kept it is, nothing was in much disrepair....and the monuments are colossal for some, some just plain inspirational!!!! One I came upon made me ache inside, knowing the family's loss...it was the prevalence of what I witnessed that made my heart skip a beat!!!
Someone, a dear departed family member, had missed another birthday!!  And yet, as I walked, the early morning sun filtering through the large live oak trees cast a beautiful and tranquil peace...

Memorial Day is a time to remember and celebrate family that has left us behind. Remembering those that shaped our lives, and keeping them in our hearts and mind!! As we walked, I was astounded and dazzled by many...and heart broken with some because of just the feeling I get walking through these sections of land set aside for memorials/graves...thinking of what their lives were. Also, I found one with the name ODEM [which there is a small town of Odem, Texas between here and Houston, Texas]. I took photos. Come, walk with me ---


The stone etching reads:
HERE GOD'S ANGELS HOVER NEAR EACH LITTLE FORM GUARDING THEM LOVINGLY SAFE FROM ALL HARM: HERE MOTHER EARTH TENDERLY TAKES TO HER BREAST OUR BABIES...ASLEEP AND AT PEACE AND AT REST




ETCHED ON THE HEADSTONE:
THE PRAYER OF SAINT FRANCIS
Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace where there is hatred.
Let me sow love where there is doubt.
Faith where there is despair.
Hope where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy.



cemetery history borrowed from this site
no infringement intended

34 comments :

  1. Happy Memorial Day my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie~
    I too took a stroll through a nearby Cemetery this afternoon.
    The day was windy, gray and seemed to threaten rain.
    My intentions were to visit the military section, to get photos of the flags marking the graves and simply to pay my respects, which I did..
    On my way to my Mother in laws grave, I was struck by the tranquility of the scene among towering trees,many heirloom roses and Peonys..
    I did manage a bit of time to photograph some of the remarkable statues and grave stones...
    Today was a day of rememberance for those departed..
    Many families were picnicng at the grave sites,,..
    i simply headed home, my memories fresh in my mind!
    warmest hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for visiting...and thanks for sharing your memorial day.

      Delete
  3. Very poignant post today - sometimes, walking through the graveyards is so painful as I think about the losses depicted there. Remembering the loss today of my Father, brother and son...as well as the grandparents and uncles I have lost. Hope you have a wonderful day, Anni! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you had lost a son....that would be too painful for me I think.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for ending with that prayer. It is so uplifting, reminding me of the important things. Blessings to you, Anni, on Memorial Day. Remembering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your day is blessed sweet DJan.

      Delete
  5. Happy Memorial Day. Let's never forget those men and women who gave their lives for us and for our freedom.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness and friendship throughout my blogging experience Betsy.

      Delete
  6. Anni this is a beautiful post. As always your pictures are amazing.
    Happy Memorial Day to you and Mr. B
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M....hope you had a peaceful and safe holiday.

      Delete
  7. Happy Memorial Day. Here, we celebrate every November 30th.
    Great shots, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Veteran's Day in November....to me that is the time to remember and memorialize those who protect our country by giving so much...both those from the past and those who serve today.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post. We, too, like to explore historical cemeteries. It is so important to remember those who have gone before us, especially those who have helped us to keep our freedom. Fortunately, we have plenty of like-minded people both military and civilian alive today to continue that fight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Liz...hope your week is fabulous.

      Delete
  10. Happy Memorial Day!Wonderful post & pics!I do love to visit old grave yards , there is history there .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your weekend on the beach was a bit of 'heaven' with your granddaughter.

      Delete
  11. We enjoy visiting old city cemeteries when we travel. It is interesting to see the tombstones and read the inscription...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's all part of our history.

      Delete
  12. it looks like a beautiful cemetery. I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you did....what with your pool pal. He's such a doll face!!!!

      Delete
  13. What an amazing sight at that cemetary! It looks like it was a beautiful day and you got some great pictures. I love that quote on the headstone. Hope you and Bud have a safe Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuck....hope your holiday was a good one too.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful shots, the birthday celebration is touching...Thank you for remembering and honoring veterans today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt mixed emotions with all the balloons...sad, yet it is still wonderful that the family has and takes time to remember.

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous captures Anni.

    My Yellow post, please come and see when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank's for sharing.. Great shots!

    Visiting for MYM- hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/05/feel-beautiful-and-young-with-eclosbeauty.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did visit with you...good luck to those who are participating in your giveaway.

      Delete

.