Poetry and Footprints [x2]


Oftentimes when I'm combing the beach for shells and/or drift seeds; maybe glass shards---Bud is intently studying footprints. I guess it's his Boy Scout upbringing or something....maybe the great white hunter instinct, I really can't say. Anyway, while walking along the banks of the packery channel on Mustang Island, off the raised walkway, Bud called me over to see some prints. Both he and I haven't a clue as to what kind of creature it is from, but we DID agree they were small!! And through all of this, I ask, are they really footprints? I placed my index finger nearby to show just how tiny they were. But, the sand, and the footprints of humans, birds, and either domesticated or wild animals, it always reminds me of something I carry with me...in mind and in the car...I actually have two favorite works of poetry/prose. But this one I'll first write about is one I carry around with me in the car...clipped to the sun visor [a small card about the size of a credit card] -- It's FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND. For years, the author of this wonderful piece of work was never credited properly. Decades, there was always "Author Anonymous" at the end. But, in light of forensic science, and a handwritten original that was authenticated in 1995; the original was found in a trunk in 1984 [dated 1936]...the author's name was finally revealed...Mary Stevenson.  For me it's one of the best ever written.  The last few words are as follows:

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."



FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND Homepage Link 
no copyright infringement intended


Also:

There is a poem I read months ago that is copyrighted© and I'd be infringing upon the author's rights to post the complete poem here. But when I read the challenge this week for Tina's Picstory, "The Best of", assuming our hostess was referring to our own blogging work/posts...but, in this case, I immediately thought of the piece of work because it tells me just what I have always thought of when someone asks me "What is your best work"?  I always want to respond "The best is yet to come".   For I really can't choose my 'best work' because it's not been accomplished yet...there is still MORE to come from me. I will refrain from posting anything about ME and MY work then. For this next piece of poetry, I understand the whole realm of authors' wishes and copyrighted material. Unless permission is granted, I have no legal right to take something off the 'net and use it; even if it's only sharing.  I try my best to work with the owners if possible, and abide by their rights, but I could find no email for the author on the page where the poem is located to ask for a chance to post his work on my blog. I hope I'm not doing any injustice by posting this small part of the author's work. I'll just add the link here to the entire poem because it's so very poignant and holds so many, many, truths, and if you care to read it, life doesn't end at one point or after one lengthy battle...you win, you lose, but---....you won't be disappointed, I'm sure. Composed by a Native American, Thunder Wolf...I add the last two lines, then, link up for you to read the entire poem --

"...Brace yourself for a new and glorious day
For the best is yet to come"

In its entirety...READ IT HERE

and if I AM infringing, please forgive me, it's just too beautiful to not share.  At least part of it...
If the author wishes for me to take the part I shared down, I will do so immediately.
THE USE OF NATIVE AMERICAN CLIPART used with permission from HERE.









CONNECTING TO:


next week's prompt for Picstory is *F*

46 comments :

  1. The first poem I knew well, but not the second one. It is really beautiful, and written by a Native American! The first picture, maybe I can't focus right, but the footprints actually look like little objects to me, they appear to be raised up and have three black things inside, I can't quite figure it out, but it sure is mysterious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're strange...I've never seen anything like it before on the beaches.

      Delete
  2. The footprints look like they could be coming to the surface from some type of crab..very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is "They're an oddity".

      Delete
  3. I have always loved the poem footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem and post, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Footprints has always been a favorite of mine - I had it on a wall hanging for many years - not sure what happened to it during one of my many moves! As for the other one - I doubt anyone would be offended - that is a wonderful way to think of your life! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I bought that wallet card...so I can carry it with me wherever I go.

      Delete
  6. Those are some tiny footprints! I really like the poems you included today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if they really ARE footprints....

      Delete
  7. this is the poem that saved my insanity when my baby was dying.

    Those prints in your photo, are they crab holes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what they are Ann.

      Delete
  8. Footprints is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing the second poem, which I have never heard. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty....glad you enjoyed my post today.

      Delete
  9. Itty bitty teeny footprints. Did you happen to see the creature?

    Ms. Anni you are such an inspiration to us we love how you write and think. Hugs
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope saw nothing but the prints in the sand....and thanks M&M

      Delete
  10. I love the things you find on the beach (and your beautiful fingernail!) And your beautiful thoughts today. I certainly live with hope that the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *feeling a bit light headed here*....{{{Dawn}}}...what a pleasant surprise. Yep, I just KNOW the best is yet to come. For all of us.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you put your own finger into that picture or it would have been impossible to see how small those objects are. Very curious. I've always enjoyed the footprints poem. Now I'll head over to read the other one. Thanks, Anni. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely miniscule....'cause my hand is quite small too.

      Delete
  12. It could be some animal digging in and down? sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right...it could be!!!!

      Delete
  13. The smallest beings and critters we are so often unaware of. However, on the smooth sand we see unfamiliar prints but only by seeing the ruby fingernail pointing it out. Now we know...we all should have that drive, that innate sense that there is more to accomplish. Using our powers of thinking we can do as much limited by our fears. The day is long, seize all the opportunities we see, and begin now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great words of wisdom shared, Ralph!!

      Delete
  14. Yes, VERY tiny footprints! I have no clue what they are, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That make us part of the majority here.

      Delete
  15. They certainly look like very, very tiny footprints. Sure wish we knew what they were.

    I love both those poems ... thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful post anni! the best is yet to come - so i hope to see it at picstory :) you have always wonderful ideas and i´m so glad to have you on board! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina....in fact, I couldn't, honestly, come up with something I'd consider 'best'.

      Delete
  17. Hi Anni, I'm new to your blog this month. Love your beautiful lavender pansies on your blog background. Your mentioning the poem, "Footprints in the Sand" brought back bittersweet memories and tears to me. When my Dad was in the hospice in Sacramento in 1982 I brought him a beautiful picture of footprints in the sand. "And when you don't see the footprints it means God has been carrying you." (Not exact words, correct me please). This beautiful poem picture brought tears to his eyes and peace in his heart during the last few weeks of his life. My mother kept it and now my sister has this frame. You are absolutely correct in your political soapbox statement that the United States is a Republic, not a democracy. This should be taught in the educational system in America, not the "Saul Alinsky" marxist propaganda in the universities. Thanks for your political statement and lesson in history. Have a great day!
    Nanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanette!!!! I'm so glad you stopped by...now I can visit with you too and become your newest follower.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful!

    My Ruby Tuesday post, come and visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, don't faint, it's really me! lol It feels so good to be back to blogging and visiting, I've so missed you all. I've always loved "Footprints in the Sand" and like you, have a small credit sized card with the poem written on it...I keep mine in my wallet:-) My goodness, look at those teeny footprints! I do hope you can find out what made them!!

    I'd never read that second poem but after reading it, I can see why you wanted to share it with us, it's beautiful. I really like the thought that the best is yet to come:-)

    I do hope all has been well with you and that you've been enjoying some beautiful weather. Summer has finally arrived here!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PEA???!!!! Is that really you? You're alive and well? By golly, you need to come here to help pick me up off the floor. Glad you're back, and loved having you visit. You've been missed.

      Delete
  20. Such tiny prints...unsolved mysteries are so fun! I'm just glad nothing emerged from under the sand and grabbed your finger...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Unsolved Mysteries"....I like that....they should have a TV program like that. [kidding]

      Delete
  21. Great post!! I think my best work - or at least ONE of my best works - is my daughter, Amber. I stand in awe at her faith and courage.

    Wonder what those 'prints' were? Have you ever seen them before?

    By the way - your nails are gorgeous!
    I am 74 and my Mother is 86 and HER hands look SO much younger than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK, I have to say you sure have some pretty nails :) Wonder what those footprints are from.
    Love both the poems you shared

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful polished nail!

    Red Roses for RT.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Strange footprints --or whatever they are!!!!! You do have a puzzlement there, don't you?

    I would hope that my best work is not done yet.... I know I did a great job (even if I say so myself) in my career ---but that is over and I'm on to new endeavors. These days, I try to take the best photographs I can --even though I am FAR from professional. But---I do enjoy taking photos and try my best... Maybe I'll never have a 'best' work--but if it's as good as I can do, then that is okay...

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

.