my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Comments, Blond moment, and blinking



  • I learned how to make blinking text in ALL Browsers this week! I realize that for some it's annoying and distracting. But, I choose to use it for just a short time to 'catch your eye' on my Birding Photo Blog Link on my sidebar. What makes it exciting for me, I don't have to use javascript or use the <*blink> tag that works only in Firefox. I've tested it on Internet Explorer and FF so far, and it works.  It doesn't take much to make me happy. LOL
  • I read a comment left for me this past week. Once again, regarding my use of a watermark with my name. The comment was, and I'm quoting: "If you have to have your name on the photo, I would prefer to see it at the bottom of the picture, not running through the middle of the flower. It is so distracting! " I try very hard to be hospitable to those who pay me a visit. But after reading this comment, I thought of something I read long ago, and had to go to Google for a search: Hospitality is making your guests feel at home, even if you wish they were....that's how I felt for a fleeting moment, reading this comment. And all I can say in reply is: Having a name at the bottom, inconspicuously...they can all too easily be cropped off. I'm sorry, but I have found a way to discourage those who like to take advantage of others online by stealing photos and images from someone else's blog/websites, passing them off as theirs, or without credit to the owner.  Which has happened with mine in the past.  I'm not gonna stop using my watermark inside my image.
  • A SERIOUS BLOND MOMENT here!!! This past week, I was trying to adjust my bird photo blog for width of only the main column --the part where the blog post goes [not the sidebar]. I worked and worked at it for at least a couple of hours, exhausting all my know-how. And nothing worked!!! Neither in customizing, OR editing html!!! Then, it dawned on me....I had the template set at three columns and was trying to adjust for two columns. DUH!!! After taking out the 3rd column tag, a miracle on Anni's street!!! ---the main column is now wider without moving the sidebar out of the template margins!!!
  • ADDED after Ginny asked a question: -- Ginny asked me how I know my images and art [paintings and sketches] have been stolen. Well, for some time now I've been using a similar device on my computer, but if anyone wants to check to see if their work is being copied...here is a LINK to assist you in finding out ---ART THEFT And, here is a Firefox Add-on that will search for images and where they're being used throughout the internet....Add-On


  • For instance - doing a search for one of my pieces of art from my blog menu: Get any image on your blog [or from any image folder on your computer with use of the ART THEFT only], right click on it ---and use this add-on...it will search for any and ALL of the same image and tell you WHERE the image is located online/site:















    CONNECTING TO:

    Mommy's Idea

    32 comments :

    1. When I see your watermarks, I always think that you have probably had your pictures stolen. That's why most people use them, they have had them stolen before. How do you even find out someone stole it? Gosh, you know WAY more about the technical part of blogging than I do!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I've been doing something quite similar to this...here is a tutorial on how to search your images/art work---

        http://www.artpromotivate.com/2011/12/art-copied-stolen-google-image-search.html

        Delete
    2. The thing about watermarks for me is, once I know they are there, I don't even notice them anymore. Yours has never been a distraction! As for the blinking thing...I guess I am not easily annoyed...haven't had time to get over there yet, but am going to try today, after this next round of doctor visits!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. More appointments? Is this for your dear man, Dan? Hope all goes well and everything today gives you both good news.

        Delete
    3. You do know a lot about the technical side of blogging, I have no clue how to widen the text portion of my blog, though there have been times I wanted to do so.

      When I google for an image, I do give credit for the site where I found the image - - - of course, if THEY used it from some other site then I haven't given full credit, but I don't know how to track down the ORIGINAL.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks....BTW, happy anniversary you two!

        Delete
    4. Glad to know that technique - will have to check out whether any of my photos are elsewhere...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's what I call a 'come in handy'. LOL

        Thanks for stopping by Heather.

        Delete
    5. Thanks for all the information, Anni. I am not bothered by your watermarks, but blinking? I'll skip that one. I am pretty sure some of my stuff has been stolen by others, but as long as they aren't making money off of it, I don't mind. I also put all my images up in low resolution, so they aren't worth much. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, I'm not too keen on the blinking text either. But just want to use it for a week or two to 'advertise'. LOL

        Delete
    6. Okay, now I've gotta go see if anyone has used my photos. Thanks for the tips.

      Happy Friday!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Have a great Memorial Day weekend Diane.

        Delete
    7. I wouldn't say it's a blond moment - you know way more than me about it!
      I never knew about the ways to see if someone was using your photos. I'm going to check it out - thanks!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, it's good protection...especially posting family pictures. Y'never know these days.

        Delete
    8. There is a man who married a Japanese lady and they live in Japan. He is White, American and teaches English in Japan. His wife is Japanese and she works in schools in Japan. His photography is the best I have ever seen period; and I have seen a lot and taken a lot of photos. He doesn't have any copyright info on his photos. Invited you to have a look. http://regex.info/blog/

      I used to worry a lot about my stuff on the blog and tried to protect it with copyright © information and even bought copyright licenses. But the license is only applicable in America, and does not stop people from copying, selling, trading or using. A friend reminded me that more damage can be done on places like Flickr than on Blogger or Wordpress. And I have to agree. And then I remembered, nobody in their right mind would steal a blog photo, take a copyright notice off — for what? The maximum number of pixels that any program will display on any blog or home page is 72 for PCs and 96 for Macs. That is their resolution. The same is required for reproduction in newspapers. And magazines require 300 dpi. So let them steal. They can't do much with it at 71 dpi.

      I wouldn't worry about it or lose any sleep over it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, I'm not losing sleep over this. But it does irk me that other bloggers tell me how to add my watermark to my image [I never tell anyone how to do their images; it's not my right]...the way I do it helps with theft a lot better than adding my name at the bottom. And I realize that there are people who take what isn't theirs...that's the reason I do what I do with my watermark!!!

        Delete
    9. thanks for all the info, anni. i shall be sure to check out whether any of my photos are elsewhere.
      thanks so much for the link.

      have a great weekend!

      ReplyDelete
    10. We found that people were using our photos ---so we started using watermarks. Even though ours are at the bottom and can be cropped out easily, we think that even that watermark will deter people somewhat. Even watermarks like yours can be taken out these days easily. IF someone wants the picture, they'll find a way to steal it. It's just not something I'm going to worry about. It can happen --no matter what we do. Putting anything on the internet is a risk I choose to take... Some things I worry about and some things I don't...I guess we all just do the best we can...

      Have a great Memorial Day weekend--and stay cool (going to be almost 90 here).. Yipes!!!
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...the thing I dislike the most tho, about this part of my post is other bloggers blatantly telling me HOW to do my watermark!!! I would never dream of posting a comment on how to do anything...it's my blog, as it is THEIR blog...I have no right to leave a comment telling them how...so, I think in turn, with common courtesy...they should do the same.

        Delete
    11. OH MY WORD Anni....after all it is Y O U R blog and Y O U R S to do with as you please. I'm speechless.

      I would like to know how to make a water mark...is there a site to which you can direct me?

      Happy Memorial Weekend,
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Some people are so disrespectful, inconsiderate, mean, scornful, selfish, thoughtless, unfeeling, when it comes to leaving comments...it's like they're the only person in the world and we bloggers who have their own style should abide by THEIR wishes. Not so here. I'm just going to start deleting those who leave opinions on how I should do my images.

        Delete
    12. Very interesting post today. I don't worry if someone wants to take something off my blog...nothing is all that good anyways.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You'd be surprised. I've always enjoyed your blog posts. And you DO have good things!!!

        Delete
    13. The comment about the watermark really gets me. I don't always care for the way a blogger does something BUT it's their blog and I'm certainly not going to complain about it. It would be like going to a friends house and telling them they need to paint a different color because I don't like the color.
      Thanks for those links to find out if your pictures are being used. Very useful. I'm going to check them out

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ann....exactly my own reaction to her comment.

        Delete
    14. I would love your email address. sandie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...I sent you an email Sandie!!

        Delete
    15. I have no problem with you using watermarks my friend.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I spent a significant amount of time today to get the poppy photo that I wanted. I found many that had been used without proper credit and continued searching when I saw those, as I know it's wrong to use other people's work without giving them credit. The photo I used today is copyrighted, but the photographer agreed to let me use it. It did not let me download it, so I easily copied it using PrintScreen on my computer. I felt the watermark was necessary, because it's such a gorgeous shot, and I didn't want to make it simple for someone else to steal it and NOT give credit. Thanks for the excellent resource, Anni.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad I posted something of value for you.

        Delete

    .