my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


After the rain...

On any given 'regular' day of the year, the Texas Sage Bush is only the silvery, velvet textured dusty green [year 'round!]...but after a rain, the bush blooms, bell-shaped, lavender blossoms profusely!!! And the honey bees love it. I don't know what it is that attracts bees to this particular blossom - all I can say is it really isn't a delightful odor. In fact, to me, it comes real close, up close and personal, to a strong urine scent. No, you can't smell the odor in the yard so to speak, it's just when you're dumb enough curious about the beauty of the flower and walk up to take a whiff!!! I learned my lesson quickly! I sit back and enjoy the colors. That's all. Some think it's a sweet smell....but that's THEIR opinion. LOL It's called Texas Sage, but it's really not anything close to 'sage'. It's a native plant to the deserts of Texas, New Mexico and Northern Old Mexico. If left alone, and kept fairly dry, it will grow healthy and strong. Too much water and there will be root rot!!! I planted and trained a Don Juan Climbing Rose to 'intermingle' with the large sage bush so it will 'climb' in and around the sage branches for support [in the 'fuller view' of the bush, you can see the rose bush---the sage surrounds the entire rose jutting up farther - out of the photo view]. It's really quite pretty when both rose and sage are blooming at the same time from Spring to Autumn.








CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone




_ _ _




MONDAY MORSELS

I took Mother's Day off from being online. It was rather pleasant to be honest. A nice quiet day. Early, just as the sun was rising, you would have found us in the car heading to the beach. I love going there very early. And being that it WAS Mother's Day, Bud and I figured the beaches would be filled with heavy vehicle/foot traffic. We parked on the new Packery Channel parking lot and walked along the channel [there were a lot of fishermen out and about at that early hour!!]. When we pulled off the highway, and into the parking lot, there was something going on at the boat ramp...police vans and a tow truck and a muddied SUV being pulled out of the water. We wondered if it was stolen, and ditched in the channel...or perhaps someone committed 'sideways' suicide. You never know these days. I couldn't find anything online about it this morning. It's just kinda eerie to see something like that happening in such a beautiful area on the island tho. We walked about two hours along the channel and then out over the shoreline of the Gulf....by the time we turned around to begin heading back to the car for a jaunt down the highway to go out for breakfast, the beach was getting filled with party goers and the BBQs and canvas gazebos were coming off the pickup trucks, loaded with young families that were to spend the day with their mom. Then, in the afternoon, while keeping tabs on the NYY game and the Astros game, I played around with something that Erik sent me for Mother's Day...all for fun. He texted me a Family Guy video from Youtube [found above at the beginning or my morsels] with Stewie [the boy in the family] that had Mom...mom....mommy, mommy a dozen times or more...finally mom yells "What"? And Stewie says "Hi" and giggles as he runs out of the room. I converted the video to MP3 and then went into my ringtone software and edited it for a 'shorter version'...then, uploaded it to my phone and set it as Erik's ringtone. Can't wait to have him call me. LOL Getting it up on my ringtones successfully was a highlight of my day ---I thought it was perfect for his incoming calls. Just a lazy Sunday morning and afternoon.

54 comments :

  1. The Texas Sage is really something...it must not be related to regular sage. I hope you eventually find out what had happened at the beach, probably in the paper if you subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess there were no reporters out and about at that time of day.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful flower - even if it is a stinky one! Glad you had a good day - it was noisy here in the afternoon with all the kids and family here - but the boys cooked for me and it was wonderful! I have a "hoops & yoyo" ringtone for my son who calls me every day...it is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...yep, it's truly 'stinky'.

      Delete
  3. Wow that sage is beautiful!!
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS very pretty after it rains.

      Delete
  4. The sage is really beautiful! Crazy about the vehicle you saw pulled out of the water. I hate when I see something like that and then can't find out what happened.
    Glad you had such a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, I must say - I enjoyed your last entry on your blog today when I paid you a visit.

      Delete
  5. WOW what beautiful photos... Loved them!
    Happy Mother's Day♥
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everybody needs a day or two off from blogging. Once it begins to be a chore, we don't enjoy it as much, and for me a little break makes it more fun to return. And I think you're a pretty savvy mom to play with ringtones like that! LOL indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seems my blogging enthusiasm is wearing thin these days.

      Delete
  7. wow, that sage is gorgeous when in full bloom, even if the blooms are stinky. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color on that "sage". You had a good day yesterday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the color is gorgeous, almost an 'icy lavender'.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful flower! Fortunately, I can't smell a thing through my monitor, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. y'all really can't smell the potency 'til you're right up on it.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful flowers - we are still getting the rain here. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have some more rains here too. The weatherbug says 50/50 chance today....but really, isn't it ALWAYS that way....either rain or not --fifty/fifty.

      Delete
  11. Hi There, I'm trying to begin catching up -after being gone for a week. I enjoyed reading about your 'beach' trip also!!!!!

    Love the Texas Sage... I've seen it before --but never knew the name... Gorgeous!!!!

    I used to be a huge Astros fan when I lived near Houston for 12 yrs. That was in the days of Biggio/Bagwell... Great team!!!! Not so much these days those.

    Hope you are well.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the 3 beeeeees! I remember those days too.

      Delete
  12. pretty flowers! a mellow yellow monday visit here. http://www.heartscontentofamama.com/2012/05/mommys-main-squeeze.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sage is lovely!!!
    I LOL when you wrote of smelling it. :)

    Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
    I too think time away from the computer is nice once in awhile. I find I just can't stay gone too long though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's coming up with something new for subjects that tend to keep me from blogging daily, these days.

      Delete
  14. That's lovely!

    Mellow Yellow at my page, please come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are lovely! Have a fabulous week.

    Liz @ MLC
    Liz @ YACB

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have one of those here at the rental and I'm planning to have one at our new home (we're closing this week). I want to wildscape using native plants and trees in addition to a few other things. :-) The first picture is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty when they bloom, and I like the silvery foliage.

      Delete
  17. The lavender flowers are gorgeous!
    I Amos glad you had a good day yesterday. Very odd you could not find anything about the SUV
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, never did find anything in the news or on the newscasts.

      Delete
  18. so pretty love your macros!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So lovely, my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dear friend are my inspiration.

      Delete
  20. Your Texas Sage is a beautiful bloom n it does looks gorgeous with your roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mixture of the deep velvety reds along with the purple hues is very pretty...even when the sage isn't blooming the contrast of the dark greens along with the silvery green of the sage...

      Delete
  21. The Texas Sage sure is pretty but if I come across any I'll take your word for it and not stick my nose in for a sniff....lol
    It is nice to get away from the computer now and then. I've been having quite a few days lately where I don't even want to turn it on.
    That video is perfect for a ringtone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...it's gonna be fun when Erik calls....hey, it takes not much to get me giggling.

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous blooms and purple my favorite color for flowers. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sage blooms are amazing ! Cool ringtone !

    ReplyDelete
  24. The red dots on the flower so interesting. Really great flower's pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're easy to grow and take hardly any 'babying'.

      Delete
  25. Anni, your photos are gorgeous!! Love the Texas Sage blossoms and also the way you have the rose bush intertwined. I haven't had time to do anything in the gardens yet. I miss all the plants I had at the old house. It was the wrong time of year to bring anything.

    Take care. I'm wondering how you and Bud are doing.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing fine Mary...hope you two are well.

      Delete
  26. These are delightful captures of a beautiful flowering bush, Anni!

    ReplyDelete

.