my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


This Bud's for YOU

April Photo Hunter subjects:

7th ~ Awesome
14th ~ Sturdy
21st ~ Reflect
28th ~ Texture

May Photo Hunter Subjects
5th * Zap
12th * Scoop
19th * Magical
26th * Creative



Most consider reflect as in something mirrored. Quite a while ago, through a subscription, a small decal came through the mail to 'protect' birds from flying into a window. You don't know how many times, when we lived in Tucson AZ, doves would fly into our patio door because all the trees [and sky], in the yard, would reflect off the glass, confusing the birds. Many died, some were just stunned. Still, it was sad. Then, I put up some streamers to sway gently in the breeze. That seemed to help. Anyway, when I received this in the mail, I made use of it on the front door glass. A human being, when walking up to it, barely notices it. But, from what I read with the little pamphlet that came with the decal, birds can see it from a great distance, keeping them from flying into the glass and what reflects off of it... ---





*

Here is another 'take' on the challenge:

re·flect
verb
to think, ponder, or meditate:

Also, when you use the term reflect in another sense, it could be that you're actually sharing [as in mirroring] what you have seen before as in: re·flect - to give back or show an image of". Hence my reflections from my viewfinder!! ----


This week, the challenge for photo hunters is 'reflect'....I'm taking a whole different alley here...I'm reflecting on days of yore. In fact the days when we were still working and had family of our own; still at home. About 60 miles or so from where we lived, way North, almost to the Wyoming's southern border along Interstate 25, there is a brewery. A brewery for Anhauser Busch...Budweiser Beer. Of course we made a trip up there a few times to tour the brewery and meander in and out of the stables for the Clydesdale horses that are so famed for this product. At one time when we were up there visiting friends in a neighboring town just south of the brewery, the beer company had their mascots on display along with the famous red carriage and all the beautiful silver tack. I posted an image from that day before...there is 'reflection' in the silver tack....of the sun shining. The images of the stables from our tour of long ago and the 'parade' of Clydesdales post is HERE [link will open in a new page]. Of course those horses were Colorado's own....this past week, I had a chance to reflect and remember them...this time tho, the ones visiting South Texas were from Missouri...all the way from Saint Louis!!! We watched them prepare for a parade.






PRINCE


CHARLIE & NEIGHBOR


CURLY


FIRE

...and the one laying down on the job


BUD!!! ...of course.
[the horses' names were above their stall: actual names!!]




CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters



- - -


WEEKEND FUNNIES


Disclaimer: I am not one to condone heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages...
but I can still remain with an open mind, and laugh at these.
I just copy and paste....none is my work.
No offense taken please.



24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
--Stephen Wright

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in
beer.
--Dave Barry

* Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser.



BEER ANECDOTES:

It was the accepted practice in Babylonia 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" - or what we know today as the "honeymoon".

Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold, and the yeast wouldn't grow. Too hot, and the yeast would die. This thumb in the beer is where we get the phrase "rule of thumb".

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's".

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. when they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle", is the phrase inspired by this practice.

- - -

Due to increasing products liability litigation, American beer brewers have accepted the FDA's suggestion that the following warning labels be placed immediately on all beer containers:



WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at 4 in the morning.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell the same boring story over and over again until your friends want to smash your head in.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause you to thay things like thish.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell the boss what you REALLY THINK while photocopying your butt at the office Christmas party.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell ever happened to your pants (panties) anyway.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause you to roll over in the morning and see something really scary (whose species and/or name you can't remember).

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burn on the forehead.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, more handsome, and smarter than some really, really, really big biker guy named "Big Al."

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with other members of the opposite sex without spitting.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe you are invisible.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause an influx in the time-space continuum, whereby small (and sometimes large) gaps of time may seem to literally disappear.

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may actually CAUSE pregnancy

- - -

After so many beers you've consumed, next thing to do is pray...

A prayer

Our lager,
Which art in barrels,
Hallowed be thy drink.
Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk),
At home as it is in the pub.
Give us this day our foamy head,
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill against us.
And lead us not to incarceration,
But deliver us from hangovers.
For thine is the beer, The bitter, The lager.
Barmen.


Today's source: Beer Jokes

64 comments :

  1. Great post and nice look back, Anni! I love the Clydesdale horses. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...they're such a 'regal' breed.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a fun post and great shots, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your day is treating you well dear Mar!!

      Delete
  3. What fun! I was laughing out loud at the funnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to laugh...better than carrying a grudge all day long....laughing is good. Glad it was 'fun' for you today Linda.

      Delete
  4. Very funny! I like a beer now and then but at one time I was quite addicted to the bubbly. I laughed out loud at some of these warning labels. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they a hoot? I think the one warning I like best out of the bunch, was the fact that consuming alcohol often CAUSES pregnancy. LOL

      Delete
  5. You always make me smile, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here to make you smile...any time.

      Delete
  6. Anni what an excellent post on reflect. I was able to reflect on the day years ago when the magnificent Clydesdales came through Raleigh.
    Love the beer funnies
    Happy saturday
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you two enjoyed the post. Clydesdale Horses are magnificent. I think.

      Delete
  7. You are a Hoot Anni!
    Thanks for playing at The Saturday PhotoHunt.
    ~Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting Sandie!!

      Delete
  8. I love those horses too. They are so gigantic and just plain good looking. It is so much fun to see them in person. You beer warnings are the very best. You had me in stitches. No wonder I like to drink. I didn't know there were that many good reasons. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...an icy cold beer [Coors actually] is always good on a hot, humid, day.

      Delete
  9. *opens comment box with a chorus-y outburst of Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move"*

    I think the world would be a much better place if everyone could experience a Clydesdale's thunder-feet hoofing by! I love those big guys who get to wear shaggy bunny boots all the live-long day. I wish I liked beer. It smells sooooo good! I've tried, but alas... I love Clydesdales, though. That's gotta count for something, dudn't it? LOL Here's hoping the weekend's wonderful to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know I luvya Sparkle Fartle...whoa....I mean Sparkle FARKLE.

      Delete
  10. The window decal is a fantastic idea. We've had a few bird versus window accidents and they're never good. I've seen solid decals, but never a semi-transparent one like yours. And those Clydesdales are fantastic horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the decal is working wonders.

      Delete
  11. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    What a fun share today. I love seeing your little bird decal. I have one on my patio as well. I believe mine came from Birds and Bloom magazine. I love it because like you said, the birds are always hitting the patio doors, doves and hummers especially. Some stun, some die. I haven't had that problem since I put up my decal. I love it. Thanks for sharing with folks today.

    Love seeing the Clydsdale horses. They are simply gorgeous, and such a proud breed are they not? I love seeing Bud. LOL...

    I so enjoyed reading the beer anecdotes. I did not know where the Ps & Qs came from, and what fun is the Wet your Whistle. I had no idea. You always tickle me with so many fun facts. Even Tony was laughing this morning on some of these. I before E except in Budweiser. Ha! Ha! Ha!

    Oh Annie sweetie. Have a glorious weekend. You sure made mine. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a treasure Sherry!!!

      Delete
  12. Draft horses must be gentle giants. Lucky you to see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE magnificent animals.

      Delete
  13. our lager... oy! :)

    the clydesdales sure get some mileage on them... and hope that decal helps w/ your birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pampered like no others...the Budweiser ones for sure. Heck, they live better than some humans, I'm sure.

      Delete
  14. interesting post, beautiful horses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could stop by today.

      Delete
  15. Love the Clyesdales and the funnies had me falling off my chair. However I do have to agree 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case - not a coincidence. :) Thanks for making my day. Have a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, beer is only good when it's an extremely hot day.

      Delete
  16. Great post Anni - cheers and bottoms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil, for popping over.

      Delete
  17. My girls would have loved to see these beautiful horses!

    Thanks for stopping by today :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to visit you, and have you stop by here.

      Delete
  18. My kids are into riding horses, unfortunately we don't have one lol. Beautiful photos!

    Birds of the same Feather..., have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a horse...Lucky...but y'know when you think about it, having horses is a lot of work, and a huge expense.

      Delete
  19. We saw them in Florida. They are magnificent aren't they? Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog, I so appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to stop by and see what you've shared. Thank YOU for coming by to say hello.

      Delete
  20. Bud is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl....y'know me well enough to know that I truly pointed that OUT to my own Bud. Laying down on the job...indeed.

      Delete
  21. Great post. Love the photos of the horses. We have quite a few of them here in Florida at Busch Gardens. They are so big and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your 'giveaway' I spotted the answer...boobies.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful, Anni! Love the Clydesdales! Such powerful and handsome horses!

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's always so sad when a bird flies into a window. good idea with the decal.
    Those Clydesdale's are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary to you two.

      Delete
  24. that horse is really goodlooking. Should be fun to try to ride it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There'd be no way I could ride one...my legs wouldn't even support me around their girth. They're HUGE.

      Delete
  25. A fun post to read, loved the Clydesdales and was very interested in the decal. I worry about the birds banging into our windows. I have a stained glass there right now and hope it will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bird images shows me that you really need those decals at your windows. You have so many varieties in your yard.

      Delete
  26. Love the bird decal idea. I have a sunroom window that gets hit quite often.
    I've only seen the Clydesdales once - Busch Gardens in Virginia. Such beautiful horses!
    Hope you're having a great weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd be able to find something that will 'scare 'em' away.

      Delete
  27. The bird decal is great. I have a window that the little birds have problems with, I think I look for one.

    The warnings are a hoot! I'm not much of a beer drinker but I sure like the Clydesdales. I saw them once long ago and have loved them ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the decal is working so far. No tragic happenings with birds this year.

      Delete
  28. I so miss joining photohunt! awww...I read this "bird's" for you and saw that hummingbird!(or is it a dove?) :D Lovely horse there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a humming bird...and a dove in that post a few days back.

      Delete
  29. They are beautiful horses. We visited the Budwiser brewery in St Louis several years back. Their barn was immaculate - they were definitely treated like royalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree...they ARE treated like royalty.

      Delete
  30. Those horses are beautiful! I love the idea of the decal to keep the birds safe. Of course, I don't wash my windows, and that seems to work also. :-) Your first alcohol warning really made me laugh because it's well known that you don't answer the phone when my nephew is calling after 8 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh, I love the Clydesdales. Since Anheuser Busch is headquartered in St. Louis (their offices are less than 30 minutes from my house) and since they used to own my Cardinals, I have a special place in my heart for the Clydesdales. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

.