my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




OLD GLORY...a retiree's 'gift'


  • FRIDAY THE 13th... people!! Superstitious are you?

  • First off...I want to thank JEN for passing along the "Versatile Blogger Award" to me and my blog. I feel quite privileged.
      RULES
      1. Nominate 15 fellow bloggers with blogs you enjoy the most. [see below, next to the blog award]
      2. Share seven random facts about yourself.
      3. Thank the blogger who nominated you.
      4. Add the Versatile Blogger Award picture to your blog post.


      I award this to: Linda, Lighthousegal, Madi & Mom, Ginny, Mari, DJan, Betsy, Denise, Ann, April, Kim, Chatty Crone, Marydon, Sherry, and Sharon. All for different reasons, all for being loyal to visit with me weekly -sometimes daily!!! Know I appreciate you. AND if your name is not here, and you wish to have it for your blog, by all means, help yourself. Just click on the award, it'll open and you can save it to your hard drive. If you don't 'do' awards, I understand. And several have been having difficulties grabbing the award. Here is how you can get it: In your browser, find options and disable javascript. THEN you should be able to right click on it and save it. Oh....and don't forget to re-enable your javascript again when done. A 2nd alternative way of saving it: click here


        My random facts: - 1) I'm a morning person! 2) I don't miss TV at all! 3) My favorite bread is GARLIC 4) Mexican food; I crave most often 5) I miss the fragrance of lilacs in the Spring 6) I love teaching myself new template skills 7) I learned a new song yesterday, thanks to Lighthouse Gal ---and I LOVE the title/phrase which I plan on using in my life often!!!! Wanna know what it is? Well, you came here at the right time, 'cause I'm gonna tell you this...."MY GIVE-A-DAMN'S ALL BUSTED"!!
  • It only took me nearly 20 years to get this done like I had in mind!!! A day in October of 1992 [yes, 1992---long ago], Bud retired from the Federal Government. He actually did NOT go to his retirement ceremony because of all the politicking stuff that goes along with it. He was done...he didn't want to go back for any special 'treatment' or recognition. I can't blame him for that stance he took. His job was grueling...both physically and mentally. Some days his day began at 3 a.m. --and long hours. Lots of travel time -sometimes for 6 days out of the week!!! Bud decided to use his accumulated leave time...take that time with pay, use it up, and then.. get the heck out!! But, on the day of his 'official' retirement, as protocol has been for decades, when you retire from the government, the flag flying outside the Federal Building where you are 'headquarted' ...it becomes sole ownership of the retiree. It was given to Bud by one of his co-workers who brought it to our door that day; his official retirement day.

  • That's where I step in. For all the years and paper work that accumulated in the past; my genealogy researching, collecting facts, documents, photos and such - they were all stored in boxes, folders and filing cabinets. That's when I found it...

  • When I set myself down this past year; ready to get the families all in a genealogy, published book [link], as I posted about several times...I came across something that was stored for nearly two decades. The Retirement Flag!!

  • After getting the genealogy work completed, and the book now sits on my desk, I was determined to get the flag in a shadow box and get it out where we could see it daily.

  • Out of the plastic storage bag it came ...

  • ...and into the shadow box it went.

  • As Larry the Cable Guy says "Git 'er done". 20 years this October, I got 'er done!! It only took me 20 minutes to get the job done. Go figure.








  • CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea

    60 comments :

    1. It's about time you got that flag on display--good job!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL....ya, it's about time alright. LOL

        Delete
    2. Sometimes it just takes a while to finish projects. Usually not 20 years, but hey, it's done. lol Love your saying. I might adopt it, especially during working hours. ;)

      Birds always turn their back on me, thus the "moon" shots. But had I seen some woman pulling down her drawers, I would have been sure to gt that shot, too. lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. rofl....seriously tho, I WAS searching for an ol' lady on the porch.

        Delete
    3. Thanks for thinking of me. 20 years and it takes 20 minutes. I was going to ask what is a shadow box, has it got a triangle glass top?

      My Dad was given a special walking stick, he migrated to Australia and didn't take it with him. Whilst there, a relative was sick, and came to borrow a stick from my sis. My sis didn't think and gave them Dad's precious stick. The relative die, and "took" the stick with him. Dad was furious when he went back.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome. I'm sure your father was upset with the outcome of it all.

        Delete
    4. I can relate to the whole procrastination thing - - - I started an afghan MORE than 20 years ago, and finally threw away all the squares I'd completed so I'd stop feeling guilty every time I SAW them.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, with the afghan project of yours?=======I can relate to that also. Been there, done that.

        Delete
    5. Good job! Better late than never, eh? And now it can be displayed, very nice! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Unbelieveable...actually, I had forgotten about it for many years.

        Delete
    6. Better late than never, right? ;-)

      Thanks for stopping by ... I've been checking in here every day ... just lurking most of the time. I've been so busy since we got back from Florida that I don't have as much online time as I used to. Things should slow down in a couple of weeks ... but then it will be time to head to Hilton Head. ooops!

      Have a fabulous Friday!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's good to know that you're keeping busy....this time of year is always a hectic one for some reason.

        Delete
    7. Yay for getting it done! I have the same project to do. Andy brought home a flag that was flown behind a helicoptor over a war zone in Afghanistan and I need to get a case for it, just like the one you got. Yours looks nice!
      Thanks for the award. I really appreciate it, but I don't pass them on anymore after a bad experience with that. (Someone had hurt feelings because I didn't pass it to them.) However - I really appreciate that you thought of me! And congrats to you - you truly are versatile!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Like I said in my post....I can understand the reasoning behind passing the awards to someone.

        Delete
    8. Congrats on finally getting the project done! Looks great! Glad you are enjoying your retirement to the most! God bless!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Karin!!! Did you have a good Easter?

        Delete
    9. G'morn sweet Anni ~ What a beautiful display for the flag. Thank you for the award, my friend. Yes, we actually had a beautiful snow shower ... crazy weather here in MD this year; now the heat wave is encrouching once again.

      Have a beautiful weekend.
      TTFN ~
      Hugs,
      Marydon

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Spring weather is always so unpredictable, isn't it?

        Delete
    10. OMG - didn't even realize it was Friday the 13th... guess I can't worry about something I don't even remember ...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, it's almost over. Soon to be Saturday the 14th. LOL

        Delete
    11. Hi Anni....you are so good at completing tasks you start...lots of folks would have just forgotten. The flag looks beautiful displayed in the shadow box!! Well done.

      Mom and I thank you very much for the Versatile Blogger Award...it is our pleasure to accept it and to know you. We do so enjoy all of your posts and we have learned so much from you too!!
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really am quite embarrassed to say the least. Taking me that long to get it framed.

        Delete
    12. Anni when I click on the award I get it and the two pictures of the flag as a series of pictures but I cannot save it.??
      C

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. These browsers and they're new-fangled viewers....okay, I added a direct link...hope that helps.

        Delete
    13. Anni I want to thank you for the award and thinking of me.
      I really love the flag and what you did.
      I thought Bud's story was so interesting.
      have a great weekend

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad you enjoyed the award. If you have problems getting it off my blog, let me know...or re-read the post above, I put a direct link to the image itself.

        Delete
    14. You did a wonderful job with the flag! Thank you so much for the award!!! I have one to do this weekend, then I will do yours, what fun!! Awards just make life a little happier! You would love the big lilac bush outside our kitchen door, it smells divine!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, I really miss lilacs. Wishing they would grow here.

        Delete
    15. Oops, I don't think I can accept the award, I can't get it to copy!! It won't do anything by right clicking, even when I double click! Well, thanks anyway!! If you figure out something, let me know!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I posted how to get it...hope that helps. I apologize for this mess-up.

        Delete
    16. Nice flag. Many years ago I put a smaller flag that I was not using in a shadow box (rectangle) and pinned my father's WWII medals on it. It's a good remembrance of him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, it's huge if unfolded, but I'm not gonna do that. And, it looks like storing it in the bag helped preserve its quality too.

        Delete
    17. Replies
      1. Yep, now I can settle down and have me a 'cool one'. For a job well done. LOLOLOL

        Delete
    18. First, thank you SO much for the recognition! My visits to your blog are always fun and entertaining, so for you to acknowledge me is a true honor! As for the flag project, I can so relate. I have projects started for so long now, I don't even know where the pieces are! Sometimes I even forget what I was going to do with them! I say I am just too busy...but sometimes I just get bored with something long before I get it done. That is why I now only do things that can be finished quickly! Have to think about this award now...thanks again!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome...and as far as I'm concerned, very much deserving of the award also!!!

        Delete
    19. Thank you so much for passing your award on to me. I love your new phrase too, I might have to use that one :)
      Isn't it funny how those quick jobs sometimes take us the longest to get around to doing?

      ReplyDelete
    20. Congratulations Hootin Anni! I feel close to you already :)

      ReplyDelete
    21. Not superstitious in the least. Nope.

      I didn't realize Bud had been retired that long! What a nice thing he now has - to remind me of a job he hated!!??

      Believe it or not - two posts in just under a week!!

      I will be posting about a special lilac bush next time.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep....he bought out his retirement long ago. Couldn't take the stress of the job any longer than necessary. I'm glad he did.

        Delete
    22. I want to thank you for the award. Do you ever give out your email to others - I love love love to write to people - comment back and forth - to become friends. Mine is skcz at comcast dot net sandie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I usually don't give out my email...'cause I have no time to do so, other than my blogging and commenting, that's about all the time I have online these days.

        Delete
    23. Yes, I did click on it and got it to open on a new page,but I can't can't copy it from there either. I wonder if it's this new slide show format that blogger does with the pictures now.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It certainly may be the new slideshow format....who knows?

        Delete
    24. Success at last! I clicked on Jen's link and copied it from there. Thanks for the help, you are much more tech savvy than I am!!

      ReplyDelete
    25. HI Anni, Thanks for the nice award... You are sweet --even though I don't participate anymore in awards or giveaways... I used to do that ---but it just got to be too much for me... Thanks anyway... I appreciate it.

      I do love your work on templates. I don't have enough time (or interest) to do too much more to mine than I have. I guess I'm just not creative enough in this area...

      I learn something else about you every day... We are both into genealogy... I have taken my Family History back several generations --and have found out so much, especially Mom's side of the family. I get stuck on Daddy's side ---but love working on it... Need many more hours in my day!!!!! I get addicted to this when I get started on it.

      I'm NOT a morning person---but go to bed at nights much earlier than I did when I was younger... I do love early mornings when we are somewhere where we can see the sunrise.....That makes getting up early all worth it ---along with a cup of coffee... ha

      Love your flag shadowbox... Glad you got it done --even though it was such a long, hard, tedious job... ha ha ha

      Have a good weekend.
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Betsy...that's okay about the award....I completely understand.

        Delete
    26. What a nice memento to take with you as you retire--glad you got it displayed in the shadowbox. Why is it we put things off for so long that take such a few minutes to do???? I am SO guilty of that. Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, I think I took the procrastination a bit further than most. LOL

        Delete
    27. Congrats on the award, well deserved. I love you, and your blog. Thanks for sharing the award with me, appreciate you my friend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're a very kind and gentle lady Denise.

        Delete
    28. Thank you so much for the award. I am truly honored! I have always enjoyed blogging, and reading others blogs.
      I love the shadow box with the flag in it. Twenty years to get that done, I must say I am surprised, you seem to me to always be on the ball with things. It is funny how we put things off sometimes. But, you have it done now and can enjoy it daily.
      I am glad that you enjoyed my song choice this week. It is quite the catchy song title and can be a very useful phrase at times. I have Jo Dee Messina's album with this song on it and from the first time I heard it have loved it.
      Thanks Again for the Award!! Hope your weekend is a great one!

      ReplyDelete
    29. ohhh yes in that random!! mexican food one of my all time favs. I love the shadow box! God bless America!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am happy to see that you paid me a visit Starla.

        Delete
    30. The flag looks great!!! A 20yr project is still a completed project, right?? Woohoo on your Versatile Blogger Award!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad you stopped by and thanks for the congrats.

        Delete

    .