my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



It's not ALWAYS birds!!


As we were strolling atop a fishing pier along Indian Point Park one day this past month, about 100 yards off the pier, floating and bobbing in the bay's currents, I spied something that looked to me like an old World War II depth charge! Or a very large grenade/bomb of some sort. Knowing that many ships sank in and around the Gulf waters, I asked Bud what he thought it was...he too said it looked 'naval and bomb-like'. Of course, when we go walking, one of us straps the binoculars across our shoulders while the other carries the camera. Usually it's me with the camera, and Bud with the binoculars. Well, I continued walking out on the pier to the end and stood and just watched the waves rushing in and pounding against the wooden stanchions, and day dreamed of life on the sea...while Bud had stopped way back to watch the floating object. When he finally caught up with me, he told me what it was...a puffer fish. Now I have been told they're poisonous - a do not touch fish!! I've seen them a few times while walking along the sandy beaches, washed up and decaying. I've never seen one 'live' and in its own habitat; feeding. I snapped a photo of it when we turned around and started heading back to the parking lot. It's not that good of a photo, even after cropping it a little bit...
    There are more than 120 species of puffer fish worldwide. Puffer fish eat mostly invertebrates and algae. Large puffers will even crack open and eat clams, mussels, and shellfish. They are scaleless fish and usually have rough or spiky skin. All have four teeth that are fused together. Most puffers are found in tropical and subtropical ocean waters. They have long, tapered bodies with bulbous heads. Some have wild markings and colors to show off their toxicity, while others have more muted coloring to blend in with their environment. When they 'inflate', their heads are filled with water and air. Now this next segment is the 'scary part' --- Even if a predator gobbles up a puffer before it inflates, it won't enjoy the snack. Most puffer fish contain a toxic substance that makes them foul tasting and potentially deadly to other fish. The toxin is deadly to humans. There is enough poison in one pufferfish to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote.










CONNECTING TO:

Indentation section borrowed from Nat'l Geographic site.





- - -


HODGEPODGE



1. Spring is in the air (at least in my neck of the woods) and the birds are singing...what's your favorite bird? The Cardinal has always been a favorite. We never had them in Colorado, but I was born in Nebraska, they had 'em...and in Tucson, they were there...and down here in Coastal Texas I see 'em a lot. I love them for the color. But...in all honesty, I LOVE BIRDS!! Period. The favorite for their song for me would be the Mockingbird!!! But, from Sparrow to the Ostrich...they're all fascinating in their own way. Oh, and a peacock, both the white and colored are gorgeous too.

2. Speaking of birds...do you tweet? If so tell us your screen name and we'll come flocking to your Twitter site. Even if you don't let's all pretend here that we do-in 140 characters or less, sum up your week so far. Nope...the only social communication on the 'net for me that I use profusely is Blogger!!! That's enough. If I were to tweet my week so far it'd be a lot less than 140 characters...RAIN & Yard Work. [13 characters]

3. Its been reported recently that employers are not only viewing the facebook pages of potential hires but they're also requesting your facebook password to have a look at what you've kept from public view. What say you? Well, they wouldn't get anything from me. I'm a stickler for privacy...and if they wanted that info from me, I'd tell 'em to shove it where the sun don't shine as I was walking out of the interview!!

4. It's April and you know what that means-Major League Baseball is back in action. What's your favorite baseball movie? If that's too hard, what's your favorite sports themed movie? I LOVE BASEBALL....but I really can't say I like any of the movies out there in the past...I can think of one I enjoyed and that was the one with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore [a favorite female actress of mine]....Fever Pitch. But the one that I have watched over and over again is not really a movie per sé ---it's a DVD of the World Series of 2001!!!!! Living in Arizona at the time...and the D'Backs won over the NY Yankees...making the D'Back World Champs for the year!!! That was an amazing 7th game too. Thrilling, even today.

5. Something else this season brings-asparagus. Yes please or no thanks? If it's yes please what's your favorite way to have it prepared? No thanks...it makes your pee stink too!!! Gag city.

6. What drives you? (Don't you love how I sandwiched that one in between asparagus and jugglers???) I love outdoor yard projects. I'm driven to get to working on it, and sticking to it 'til done!!! And believe it or not, while working on ONE project, I am having thoughts of another yet to come.

7. April 18th is International Jugglers Day...can you juggle? If you mean juggling items with my hands...no. But I've been known to juggle life situations, like a budget, a family with ups and downs, job/care taker of my elder parents, moving/retiring at the same time...things like that are juggled within a 24 hour period or a week or a month; depending.

8. Insert your own random thought here.



TODAY IS BUD'S BIRTHDAY!!!

Also, this story had me in tears....By the grace of God, there ARE good people in this world after all!!!! Watch this video / or you don't have to watch...just read the article and you'll love this country and the people who put their best foot forward and help others when needed!!!! You won't be disappointed, but you may need some tissues.

6 yr OLD Raises $10K for His Dad's Cancer Treatments
selling LEMONADE!!!!
[and other students are pitching in with more to donate]








CONNECTING TO:

62 comments :

  1. Wow that's one scary fish...! Just as well you took it for a bomb to begin with, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, scary...and quite ugly too. If you ask me.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your dear Bud. That made me cry too, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise...I'll pass your HB message on to Bud. :o)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to Bud! That puffer fish is one scary thing.
    What a sweet story - and yes, it's a tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let Bud know you sent him a HB wish!! And yes...that was a sweet, sweet story for the media to share.

      Delete
  4. My youngest grandson - 4 years old - caught a puffer fish last year fishing. He was SO proud of it...I am not sure who took it off the hook! My hubby said some people eat the white meat in them. Who knew? Wonder how they manage to do it without dying? Interesting post today. I always enjoy finding out more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't try 'em. They're lethal looking when they've washed ashore with their thorny spiny skin. Who'd want to eat 'em? LOL

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Mr. Bud. I bet Ms. Anni has lots of fun planned to celebrate your day.

    I've never seen a puffer fish in person. That must have been an exciting sighting.

    Off to read the story.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting? No. But something unusual, yes. LOL

      Delete
  6. I think its a pretty good picture! He looks big.

    I love all birds too : ) Happy Birthday to Bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce...I'll pass it on.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, Bud! I see a lot of puffer fish in FL. Your photo is pretty but I think the fish themselves are kinda scary looking.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scary, yes I think so too.

      Delete
  8. He looks a bit prickly. Don't think I would like to find him on the end of my rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true....wouldn't want that at all.

      Delete
  9. I should have included the DVD series of the 2011 World Series as my favorite baseball "movie". To come back 10 1/2 games out of the wild card spot as late as August 25 to barely make the playoffs to coming within 1 strike of losing the World Series - TWICE! You just couldn't make up that kind of drama. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and happy, happy birthday to your Bud!

      Delete
    2. Yep, the 'recaps' of WS's are the best of the best.

      Delete
    3. ...and thanks for the birthday wishes for Bud

      Delete
  10. That is one sweet little boy and an awesome community! There is a boy, Connor, in New York (just turned six a couple months ago) who does paintings with marbles in a cigar box and sells them to raise money for MS because he want's to "help his Mom and everyone with MS get better." It's called marbles4ms. They have a dot com website and I got to know m4ms through Twitter. Kids are just amazing. They have amazing and pure hearts!

    I've never noticed this "stinky pee" phenomenon.

    I totally agree with you about the 2001 World Series. Game 7 wqas fantastic and well, any time the underdog, which anyone facing the Yankees is, wins is huge!

    Happy Birthday to Bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is, I'm a Yankee fan and a D'Backs fan when living in Tucson...so it was a win win situation for me. LOL

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday, Bud! You asked a lot of questions here, but I have to tell you my favorite bird right now is the Pacific Wren. Such a song! And asparagus cooked any old way, or even raw. We don't have cardinals around here, but they are indeed a beautiful and colorful bird. Good post, Anni, thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll tell Bud your wishes....and Pacific Wren...I'll have to go out on Google. You know me.

      Delete
  12. What a neat image of the puffer fish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see any greatness in it....LOLOL [sorry, I see ugly]

      Delete
  13. Is this the same as puff fish?

    Escondido is in San Diego, close to the Safari Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha...I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

      Delete
  14. Ooh...stay away Mr. Puffer Fish...not a fan! You are right on the money with asparagus, but it's so YUMMY! What a heartwarming story you shared! That boy and everyone that pitched in has a heart of gold! Happy Birthday to Bud!

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday to Bud! and what a fish...i have never seen a puffer fish before.
    and yes,,companies are asking for facebook passwords... someone told me privacy is so 80's...
    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm living in the dark ages, then, huh? LOL

      Must add, I love your Wordless today.

      Delete
  16. Strange looking fish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fish....I would never have guessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally remember watching that World Series. I lived in Flagstaff at the time and was glued to the TV. I haven't thought about it in a long time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the best Series I've ever seen....and I've watched 'em faithfully for decades. LOL

      Delete
  19. OMG that is poisonous fish. In the Philippines some people eat it but they know how to get out the portion where the poisonous is located (in the fish stomach) but I won't take the risk, lol! Thanks for linking!

    Watery World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that people would actually EAT it. Period.

      Delete
  20. I have never seen a puffer fish and after what you wrote I don't think I would like to
    Happy Birthday to Bud also.
    I am a big Yankee fan have been since I was 10.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sharon, I'm a big BIG HUGE Yankee fan too. [but at the time, I lived in AZ so had to be on both sides of this World Series....it was one of the BEST I've ever seen too]

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday to Bud!!!! Is a Puffer Fish the same thing as a Blowfish? I know they are very poisonous and are a delicacy, but if they are not prepared and cooked right, they will kill you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the puffer/blow fish similarities Ginny. And like the mushrooms I posted the other day...there'd be no way in H E double L I'd eat either. LOL

      Delete
  22. Yes, these puffer fish are ugly nasty customers, Anni. However, you did get a great picture of it!
    Hope Bud enjoyed his special day and all the best wishes for many more happy birthdays int he future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick....Bud has rec'd your message.

      Delete
  23. What a cool capture. I didn't know any of that stuff about the puffer fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before living in the Gulf area, I knew nothing about them either.

      Delete
  24. Happy Birthday to Bud!
    Cool capture!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amber is scared to death of puffer fish! We were in Hawaii and she was snorkeling and a group of them surrounded her and then they.....puffed! She freaked out and came out that water flippers flapping like crazy. She still loves the water, though, and has a dried puffer fish hanging in her beach themed bathroom!

    You have the most interesting posts! I agree - you have a GREAT life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd be paddling like crazy too if that happened to me!! My goodness.

      Delete
  26. PS...she was 13 years old at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I can understand...she was young.

      Delete
  27. Happy birthday Bud. I love asparagus. And in the movies puffer fish look so harmless - at least in Disney cartoons. lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...C C....did I ever like your post ...the paths of life. Excellent.

      Delete
  28. Hi Anni, Happy Birthday to Bud.. I hope you spoiled him rotten today!!!!!!

    Those Puffers are definitely not my favorite fish for sure...

    My favorite bird? WOW--that's hard. I guess right now I'll say an Eastern Bluebird since they are nesting in my backyard.

    I do not tweet.. AND--I wouldn't give out my Facebook info to anyone I didn't want to...

    What drives me???? Hmmmmmmm---guess it is hiking and searching for waterfalls (you knew that, didn't you?)... BUT-- I also love gardening and I love watching my backyard birds...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love to find waterfalls...but in this area...nada. LOL Oh and bluebirds...they're so pretty!!!

      Delete
  29. That's a puffer fish or fugu. I just did a post not too long agao.

    Happy Birthday to Bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann....I'll tell Bud for you. He'll appreciate it all.

      Delete
  30. Some of your answers would have been the same as mine...didn't have time to play yesterday....
    What a gift to see the Puffer Fish....
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope I never meet a puffer fish! As for the employers, any smart person doesn't tell everything they know or post every opinion on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday to Bud. A late visit for RT2.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete

.