my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Its beauty will fade ....




"Do not watch the petals fall from the rose with sadness, know that, like life, things sometimes must fade, before they can bloom again."
                                                                      author unknown



...shadows in the roses...








CONNECTING TO:





- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

  • Western crap art for hubby and art for the kid in me...for ME!! Bud and I found out that there was a special exhibit at our Art Museum here in town and we decided to go. Of course, as I've stated a few times when I've shared some of the art work from there, cameras are not allowed. There are surveillance cameras situated throughout the museum's three floors; I try to avoid them. I've had Bud stand beside me blocking the museum curators/guards view [whomever manages the security videos] at times. This artist is known for his inclusion of tulips in 95% of his art work. Sometimes the flower is VERY visible, while other times, a little bit of searching is involved with the viewer. Also, in display cases, antique artifacts of what the artist has collected, were available so we could see his use of items in his work. One floor of the museum was dedicated to his art...here, I show you only three of his works:





  • - - -

  • Now, on to the 2nd floor with a special exhibit celebrating 65 years of THE GOLDEN BOOKS. The entire floor was dedicated to these books and the art...many many books and original watercolors ---I didn't want to push my luck, so again---only three photos. I remember these when our kids were young. I still remember that Irene's favorite was POKEY PUPPY [for some reason I can't recall now...if there ever was a reason LOL] So many on display along with the original paintings by various artists --paintings that were original works [the artwork in this section of my post has mouseover captions] - then, incorporated into the children's books...






  • Most of this week it's been continuing with yard improvements. Bud and I went out and took a sledge hammer to our plastic Adirondack Patio Chairs and plastic tables! Finally. They were getting to the point that with the heat and weather; they were dangerous to sit in. I had this fear of it all breaking with the weight of our bodies!!! We've had them for years and years. It was time. Of course, they're all going to be recycled...after breaking them up, we loaded them into our recycle bin for city pick up each week. After that day was done and clean up was complete, the next day we tackled tearing down our combination metal/wood picnic table. This too we've had a very long time...in fact we moved it from Colorado to Arizona and then to Texas. I have plans for our patio. And a picnic table just won't "fit in" to the scheme of things!!! That project turned out to be a two day job!! Seriously. Tons of carriage bolts, washers and nuts that were ALL rusted to the point that we had to stop and soak 'em all with GOOP™ ---that product works wonders 'eating away the rust deposits'...but, it takes at least 12 hours. We saved the thick wood from the table top and benches ---planned use for those pieces in the near future. They're still in great shape...Reusing them will save us tons of money for another upcoming project for the patio. To be continued---

  • I finished the book "Dogs of Babel" the other night before turning off the lights. Pfffft. Kinda an odd book if you ask me. Nothing note-worthy. The plot, tho very detailed, was something that made me question the author's mental stability oftentimes!!! Quirky read. I personally wouldn't really feel good at recommending this. UNLESS!---you're into reading about the psycho, tarot card readers [psychics,] suicidal behavior, and the bizarre. Let me put it another way....I thought there would be MORE about the dog[s]. Not so. Now I began reading "The Strange Death of Napoleon Bonaparte" -a mystery novel, by Jerry Labrolia, M.D. So far, pretty darned good. Has me turning the pages!!

  • With no cable TV any longer, we played catch-up on our three favorite programs...GRIMM, Alcatraz and NCIS. I love the fact that we no longer pay $600 a year for commerical time....watching them all over the computer these days.

  • Only one day this week entailed any walking....just to a local park and watching the birds hoping to see something fantastic. I stopped and watched a beautiful heron cleaning and preening. Also, while working on the patio projects, I stopped to take a break while Bud was inside getting more electric tools...several minutes I watched a male do his mid-air courtin' dance. So tiny...so full of energy!! Since it was so early in the morning [just breaking dawn], these photos are a bit on the dark side and his features aren't all that clear and noticeable...but I'm gonna share 'em anyway. From the power lines to our corner tree, he poses for me---



  • For just a few minutes I stopped all work outdoors, after purchasing a triangle shadow box at Hobby Lobby this past week!!! I finally did something that I've been meaning to do for a couple of decades, and I posted about it on my Friday post this past week...OLD GLORY [link]

  • The 'biggest' meal I made this week was cooking a huge beef roast in a slow cooker...adding carrots, onions, cabbage and potatoes [with onion soup mix for thickener] to make a pot roast! For a couple of days we ate the remaining veggies and beef, and the last of the roast was made into cold beef sandwiches and salad and corn chips. Being that it was such a large piece of meat, it saved me a lot of time in the kitchen after working outdoors a lot this week; eating leftovers!!

  • 56 comments :

    1. I love your 'Summary' post! I missed the project from Friday so I will run back and catch it. Those outdoor jobs can sure take a long time! Better to get 'em done NOW than when it is 100+ degrees out there!

      I hope you have a great week!
      Linda C

      PS......that rose pic is award winning beautiful!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Linda....you all remain in my thoughts....glad to hear you're back home and getting a chance to relax.

        Delete
    2. A wonderful post...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Andrew, you're always very kind!!!!

        Delete
    3. I really like the art with the tulips! I like your heron shots too.
      I'm thinking it's time to make a pot roast. Yours looks yummy~!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It really, really hit the spot...it's been way too long since I've had a pot roast...and Bud was nearly foundering, he enjoyed it that much. LOL

        Delete
    4. MOL Ms. Anni
      Let us know if you need bail money. You are such a rebel.
      Love all the pictures.
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Is kitty money good in jail? Let's try it next time I'm in the slammer for taking photos I'm not supposed to take.

        "She's a rebel and she'll never be.....any good".

        Delete
    5. Beautiful flower, lovely colors, wonderful shadow shot for the day, Anni! Lovely shots of the birds and the pot roast looks delicious! Hope your weekend is going well! Enjoy!

      Sylvia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Sylvia...coming from you, I am grateful beyond words.

        Delete
    6. As usual, feel like I have just had a chat with you over a cup of coffee...or drink of our choice! Love the rose...have a great rest-of-the-weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I always enjoy your company Linda.
        And your fox squirrel was the bomb...never saw one before.

        Delete
    7. Liebe Anni,

      mir gefällt auch eine verwelkte Rose. Wunderschön ist sie.
      Einen Braten möchte ich heute auch noch machen, aber es wird ein Schweinebraten.
      Wünsche dir einen schönen Sonntag und liebe Grüße

      Mathilda

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, I love pork roast too....in a slow cooker, with PARSNIPS!!!

        Sounds yummy Mathilda.

        Delete
    8. Sounds like you had a busy week outdoors. I can't wait to see what you're going to do with your patio ... I hope you'll share pictures of the finished project. ;-)

      I used the slow cooker/crock pot this week, too. I made an Italian beef ... usually it will last 3-4 days at least, so that means 3-4 days with minimal cooking. The Italian beef only lasted 2 days this time! It'd been so long since we had one that I guess we were both mighty hungry for it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I remembered to take a 'before' picture of the patio so I can share when it's done.

        Delete
    9. Wow, that sky is SO BLUE behind the birds. I was having a great time with your walk and your art visits, and then you reminded me that dinner is right around the corner. Good thing I have a hubby who likes to cook! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    10. Yes indeed we have seen your sturdy now. What a great photo op.
      I just love shore birds. Miss Organized uou got in a Saturday and a Sunday post
      Hugs Madi and MOm

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. by the way...congrats on the 1000th post at M&Ms!!

        Delete
    11. I love your Golden Book photos! I would love an exhibit like that. Your shadows in the roses are gorgeous, too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kelly!!!! Loved your gumball shadow!

        Delete
    12. Good post. That roast, looks, and sounds very delicious.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was delicious. I love the potatoes and carrots cooked this way.

        Delete
    13. Love the artwork with the tulips especially the first one.
      I remember the golden books, first my own collection and then all the ones I bought for my kids.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do know I'm gonna go looking for a 1st edition of ANY the golden books now.

        Delete
    14. I do not know about what constitutes Western art, what it means. Although that stagecoach going off the cliff with the horse flailing is eerie. However, the pistol in front of the blackboard with a clothespin for the hammer is almost whimsical. That roast in the crockpot is beautiful, and i hadn't considered the onion soup as an ingredient - what we can learn in the world of blogging!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Actually, I've used many different dried soups [with beef flavor] in a pot roast. Makes great tasting gravy.

        Delete
    15. I'm amazed you can get such good pictures in the museum.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...it's not easy. LOL Too many security cameras.

        Delete
    16. Very nice of your husband to help you sneak those photos! :)
      My husband loves GOOP!
      Have a wonderful week ahead.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Goop is what we call around here...a "come in handy"

        Delete
    17. Beautiful roses you have and with interesting shadows too.

      I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that sneaks photos in places where photography is not allowed. Sometimes half the fun of taking them is to see if you can do it without being caught. I bet the Golden Book displays were really neat to see. I think everyone can remember Little Golden Books.

      When I worked retail, we used tons of Goop cleaning things. I liked "Goof Off" better, but it was quite strong and several complained about headaches after breathing it for awhile, so they stopped letting us use it. I had a bottle of it hidden and would use it for those really tough jobs.

      You and Bud stay quite busy between all the cleaning and yard work that you do, not to mention the projects.

      Your bird shots are nice. I like the one that shows how long his little beak is.

      One of my favorite meals is pot roast. I love it and enjoy the left overs too. My hubby does not like left overs at all. He seldom will eat them at all. I was raised cooking to have left overs. I was shocked the first time that my husband cooked for me and threw out the remaining food. It seems like such a waste to me. As a kid I loved it when we would have warm up what's in the fridge nights.

      Happy Sunday!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That makes us two rebels then when it comes to our camera shooting!!!

        Ya, we both try to keep busy.

        Delete
    18. Perfect shadow shot-that rose is! And what a scrumptious pot roast! My mom made the best. I don't make them because my husband doesn't like meat cooked that way (I do).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. at our house, if hubby doesn't like what I cook, there is always peanut butter. LOL

        Delete
    19. I remember those Golden Books very well, and I HAD the Pokey Puppy!!! Back then there were not near as many children's books, and they were about all there was. These first pictures in the museum look more like they are in shadow boxes rather than paintings. Love the sweet bird pictures!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You and I love to watch birds!!!

        Delete
    20. Your wonderful summary entry reminds me of my favourite condiment: ketchup, because it's helped me to do just that! (Catch up, get it? LOL!) And Oo, Oo, Oo! I would give anything to be able to experience the Golden Book exhibit first hand. You lucky dog, you! I'm happy for you!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know your blogging style, so I'm not sure to take this seriously or laugh. Well....heck, seriously, I'm LAUGHING.

        Delete
    21. your rose petals reminds me of smelling roses when you can.

      I prefer my steak medium rare, and don't cook any roast. how long or how many meals did you get out of such a big piece of meat?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. With just two of us...a large roast like this can last us 5 meals.

        And you know what? I'd prefer steak too.

        Delete
    22. What a great post! Love all the pics and, boy, do I ever remember those beloved Golden Books with fondness. May even still have a few favorites for future grandkids.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You still have some of the books? Wow...lucky you.

        Delete
    23. Let me tell you first off that I LOVE coming here, because you have none of that nasty Blogger word verification!!!!!!!

      The rose embracing the shadow is enchanting!

      “More Dead Than Alive”

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Why, thank you kindly MMT!!! I too deplore the word verification.

        Delete
    24. I love catching up with all your projects and adventures! Have a great week!

      ReplyDelete
    25. the rose is lovely...but the roast has caught my attention...i can even smell it!!!

      ReplyDelete
    26. I love your flower shot with the shadow! sandie

      ReplyDelete
    27. I want that Rose, Anii lol. Clever shot!

      Shadow Delight is one of my entries. Have a great week ahead!

      ReplyDelete
    28. Love the rose and its dark shadow!

      ReplyDelete

    .