my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Mom always said 'Sturdy is as sturdy does'...

PHOTO HUNT and CAMERA CRITTERS combined today


April Photo Hunter subjects:

7th ~ Awesome
14th ~ Sturdy
21st ~ Reflect
28th ~ Texture

For "Sturdy" I'm going with the sturdy yet spindly legs of herons. This one was perched on a power pole around Paradise Ponds in Port "A" Texas. [watermark also on bird's back] Hundreds of times I've seen all kinds of the waterfowl standing like this, on one leg....does anyone know the reason behind this gesture? Is there something I missed in Science class/Biology? Or maybe there was a research grant done by some group? Perhaps a whole program on PBS Earth series telling us 'why'? Inquiring minds wanna know! I bet it's just to rest the other leg?!!! But seriously, have you ever seen a heron fly in and land with such grace on those 'sturdy' skinny legs of theirs? If it were ME, I'd be tumbling head over heels with them as legs...they MUST be sturdy.






CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters






- - -

WEEKEND FUNNIES
[eclectic style this week]




CHICKEN SOUP for the SOUL book reject: Kitchen Sopu for the Dyslexic Soul
*
GOGOEL - Search engine for dyslexics.
*
Now, I'm gonna teach you a bit of Chin-ese. Please, no offense intended here...just copied from Our Funny List. Ready?

Lin Ching [In English this translates into: unauthorized execution]

Chin Tu Fat [In English this translates into: in need of a facelift]

Ai No Pei [In English this translates into: It was free!]

Hung Chow [In English this translates into: in need of an enema]

after that above, we need to clarify a bit----

Hu Flung Dung
[In English this translates into: bathroom stinks!]
*
QUESTION FOR THE DAY: How do I set a laser printer to stun?




52 comments :

  1. Funny, would never have thought of herons' spindly legs as sturdy but you're right! Re the Chinese... ummm, what kind of Chinese is that? Mandarin/Putonghua perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: the language lesson....actually, your guess is as good as mine {{{snort}}} - it's all just for humor.

      Delete
  2. It always amazes me that herons can be supported on those legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sturdy and spindly - if we could all be so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loved your crows today. And ya, to be so lucky and agile. AND I might add....a bit graceful too, even if they look dangerously lopsided, they are extremely graceful.

      Delete
  4. Usually what you see is what you get, but sometimes what you get is a whole lot more than what you see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your triceratops today!!!

      Delete
  5. One leg standing hmmpp this bird has a good balance and pretty sturdy too.

    Sturdy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good balance AND sturdy...can't get any better than that.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing to me those spindly legs can hold up a heron. They look so top heavy!
    Loved the 'Chinese' lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect description Carletta...top heavy. That they are.

      Delete
  7. That is a scrawny leg, for being so sturdy.
    I am so glad you are back playing the photohunt with us... I look forward to seeing what you come up with every weekend!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for continuing the traditional hunt theme.

      Delete
  8. What a great take on the theme. At first glance I wouldn't say a crane leg was so sturdy, yet it makes perfect sense when you talk about it.

    Has it really been so long since TnChick threw in the towel? Then think how long we've known one another. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we've been bloggers for some time now...yes?

      Delete
  9. Sturdy legs indeed. I can't do that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do that either. Well, at least not for but a second or two.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Your sibling kitties, would love this heron....right? LOL

      Delete
  11. By your picture of the heron regardless if there standing on one leg or not. But I've seen Canadian geese stand on one leg also. But I don't recall robins stand on one leg....Thanks for stopping in and the coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could take the time from your day to visit.

      Delete
  12. I adore herons and this shot is fantastic, Anni. I'm sure you can google the question that's nagging you. As for me, I'm feeling far too lazy today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing i never seen a bird stand on one leg.hahaha i wish i can do that! lovely shot.

    btw thank you so much for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine...thanks for paying me a visit today.

      Delete
  14. Strike a pose. Interesting perspective. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you stopped by Margy.

      Delete
  15. Never thought of that! Humm.. lots of birds stand on one leg.. now you got me wondering..LOL I love your pic of the heron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up going out on google for a 'one leg stance' search. LOL

      Delete
  16. Funny shot of the Heron! They are able to stay well balanced on one leg. But, what happened to its head. Have a great weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the head? It's a mystery to me! LOL

      Delete
  17. Hard to believe how sturdy those scrawny little legs are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it? So many birds, especially wading birds, do this.

      Delete
  18. Not only sturdy, but steady on just one leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by the way Lew...I forgot to comment on your cherry blossom image on another blog of yours.

      Delete
  19. I'd call that deceptively sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I prefer chicken legs myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl....ya, I bet you do...as in Fancy Feast!!

      Delete
  21. Welcome back to the photo hunt - I have missed both your sense of humour and your beautiful photos!

    You're right, that bird is very sturdy to stand up on one leg - i'd topple right over!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never would have thought about a heron's leg as sturdy, but you do have a point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, weight-wise, it takes a sturdy leg to hold us the massive body. right?

      Delete
  23. I agree with the comments, I never would have thought of a heron's leg for the theme but you are right!! beautiful shot too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most definitely. Not that I'm right, it's that the legs are sturdy.

      Delete
  24. He is doing some Yoga lessons I think..... what a funny shot!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not only a sturdy leg but a sturdy pole, too. Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right!!! No one else mentioned that, and I never 'saw' it!!! WTG.

      Delete

.