my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Whose woods these are, I think I know....







BOTH IMAGES ARE FROM
Park Trail at Suter Park
the bridge...crosses to the boardwalk
to end at a birding observation deck on Oso Bay's edge
The tree lined path is on the opposite side of park near the
South Padre Island Drive taking you to the islands...

taken: March 2nd, 2012








CONNECTING TO:



- - -



SUNDAY'S SUMMARY



Because it's Spring Break for our area's beaches, and an estimated 100,000 have inhabited the sandy shores on the islands around town...Bud and I stayed close to home. Some of the week has been getting things ready in the yard for the bird population that shows up from Spring to Autumn. Some new, some old. Some painted, some cleaned up....

Bought a small cement, molded, birdbath for the back yard. We already have one, but the grackles seem to have taken possession of that one, the little sparrows have no choice but to just watch the bathing. It took me a couple of days to paint it --there are roses entwined around the base and up to the bowl. Then, I put white stone around the birdbath and filled in the open space with red bark. [before and after images -top, left]. It's within the proximity of the new feeder, which I can see both from the computer room window as I type this post. Next, on my list of jobs of work was to get out again in the back yard, right off the patio - and trim back the purple [I call it magenta but the plant nurseries call it purple] bougainvillea. This isn't bad if you get to it before the new growth becomes mature and the thorns get hard and love to find my arms and fingers even through the working gloves. LOL It didn't take much more than 30 minutes to get it all cut back. I use manual clippers to do this so as to not do too much damage with the electric clippers. Besides, with not much to trim back, it seems a waste of time to get the trimmer all connected and get started...by the time I would do that, I could have the job all done manually. After that, the dreaded, and much put-off job was to replace the old broken macrame plant hanger on the deadly cactus plant that I have hanging off the eave of the house above the patio. Ewwww. 'nother piece of torture. And, there is just no getting around this...I'm always getting the cactus needles stuck in my hands. Out came the ladder, up I go and got the planter down, put it on the picnic table...not too bad so far. Then, I switch from my cotton work gloves to Bud's LEATHER gloves. You'd think that is a smart move on my part, but still...they await the dummy who dares to work with cactus and their spiny needles. Got the old, broken and eroded macrame off, and replaced it with a newer one - rehung the planter and now it's indoors to get out the Elmer's Glue and paste it on my skin. When the glue dries, you pull off the glue and out comes the cactus thorns slick as snot! [That's a trick I learned while living in Tucson Arizona where cactus is part of a lifestyle more or less...it works fabulously!!] Through the week, it was 'chores' like this that kept me busy while Bud worked on the lawn. He's trying to get it back to the lush green that once was. Seems like an eternal job of work right now. Anyway, he went to get some grass seed and lawn food to begin replacing grass in and around the many areas that just up and died last summer during the drought....when he came home he had a 'gift' sitting on the counter. Long ago...many many years...I told him to stop buying me bouquets of flowers as they wilt and die all too quickly - that if he wanted to give me flowers...give me ones I can plant outdoors. So...a beautiful mini-rose was my gift!! I planted it in my rose box just off the patio. Lastly, while out working, I think I saw out of the corner of my eye, the flitting of a hummingbird. Yep, it's that time of year when they return. Out came the ladder again, and up I climbed [again] to get down the feeders and scrub them out good for the season. Yes, before you ask, I DO clean them thoroughly with soapy hot water!! And, with me, there is a concern that I don't get all the detergent residue out when I rinse them. Once they're cleaned with a bottle brush of all the past year's scum that is left over --- I get pet dishes and some planters that are in the house, and run all of the stuff [including the hummingbird feeder pieces] through the rinse cycle of the dishwasher. Put them all back together and filled them with sugar water...Done!! By the way, someone asked in my comments this past week if we are done with the indoor Spring Cleaning...No, not yet. We still have to tear the kitchen apart and clean cupboards, 'fridge, stove, skylight, etc. THEN...we'll be done with that for another year. It's just been a break in the monotonous job that we've spent a lot of time outdoors instead.

  • It is a celebration with me and my sister...we two set aside March 18th, annually, to celebrate and pay tribute to sisterhood, with our own SISTER'S DAY. I rec'd a gift and one of us will call the other...then, at night on the 18th we both synchronize our time [8:00 PM usually] and go outdoors and face each other ---and drink a toast to the two of us.




    PS...if you use your Google Reader...I just screwed up and posted a couple of images that I was getting ready to have published for Camera Critters NEXT week. So, if you see a link to my newest post and find nothing...that's the reason. Sorry 'bout that.
  • 61 comments :

    1. I can hardly wait for the hummers to return ...
      Happy St. Paddy's day t'ya!
      Have a beautiful day ~
      TTNFN ~
      Marydon

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. They ARE fun to watch, and oh so territorial.

        Delete
    2. I love, love that second shot! There's just something about the tree that is the focal point.

      Your purple/magenta Bougainvillea is lovely - almost the same color as one of my azaleas that is blooming right now.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. there is a PURPLE azalea?!!! Oh, be still my heart. I've got to go to a plant nursery now. AGAIN

        Delete
    3. Lovely place to go for a walk! Nice job on the birdbath--hope you have lots of birds make use of it this summer. I can't imagine having that many "wild and crazy " people on Spring Break that close by. Stay inside till they go home!!!!!! Have a nice week. Mickie :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, that's just what we've been doing. I read online for our local newspaper that daily....the city crews have TONS of trash to pick up and get rid of before dawn...to get ready for the next influx of party-ers!!

        Delete
    4. Happy St. Patricks Day, dear friend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...and the same to you sweet BJ.

        Delete
    5. I love walking in the park, and the woods.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Very nice photos.
      I especially like the second one.

      Regards and best wishes

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I always appreciate what you leave in the comments....such a pleasure!!

        Delete
    7. so lush and green
      wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pretty much green like this year 'round!!!

        Delete
    8. Such a beautiful place to stroll and your shadow shots are terrific, Anni! It looks SO summery and I am SO eager for an end to the rain! Hope your weekend is going well!

      Sylvia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is a great place to walk....flowers, water, trees, birds. Even tho it's close to a busy street you'd never know.

        Delete
    9. love the looks of that place in your first shots. Looks really peaceful

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is...a very relaxing place to take a stroll.

        Delete
    10. Where do I start??? I loved the photos...your description of what you go through to get everything ready for spring made me tired! You are a busy lady! I love the sister's day thing...I think I will steal that idea to share with my sister. You are always a breath of fresh air and a joy to visit! Have a wonderful day! BTW, Bud is a sweetheart, I suspect, much like my Danny! We are lucky ladies, are we not?

      ReplyDelete
    11. Sorry about the little birds - I like grackles, but they can be obnoxious! I wish they'd share better...your trimming is great, manual or electric! Happily for us viewers, you avoided the spring break to show us your activities at home at break time...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You couldn't pay me enough to get close to the beach during Spring Break. LOL

        Delete
    12. Love your new birdbath, with the birds coming back to your house it certainly is showing signs of Spring.. For us it is tidy up time, clearing away the leaves that are now falling and getting ready for Winter.

      Love the day that you have with your sister, what a great idea.
      Have a great week.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Actually, Bud and I did our math yesterday...and this year it'll be 20 years that my sister and I celebrate sisterhood.

        Delete
    13. From your introductory line, I was looking for snow!
      However, I'm not disappointed - your shadowy woods are beautiful!
      Thanks for the reminder to get ready for the Hummingbirds. First sighting last year was April 3.
      Happy gardening!
      Lea

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank goodness we don't get snow hardly ever. Once since we've lived here...seven years ago. LOL [You remember when the hummingbirds showed up last year? Whoa...I'm totally impressed!]

        Delete
    14. Tonight we went out to a friend’s for a St’ Patrick’s Day dinner, and we probably spent an hour watching a live cam on the internet sending out picture of a mother hummingbird sitting on her 2 eggs in the tiny little nest. Bud and I adore all of our birds, but the hummers are out favorites. We spoil them with lots of sugar water and they are all named Hector. I cannot imagine that many students on the beaches around you all. That is way toooooo many. Loved seeing the hanging baskets. It won’t be long before our will go up. Hope you had a happy St. Patty’s Day. genie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, I can only imagine how interesting that was to watch the video.

        Delete
    15. I love the bird bath!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks...glad you like it.

        Delete
    16. I like the shadowed path shot, such a pretty scene.

      My daughter, though not on spring break (Teacher in service days), has gone to the beach. She and some friends took off to Panama Thursday and will be home late tomorrow.

      Sounds like you have been quite busy getting your yard summer ready. I have been trying to get rid of those pesky grackles here. They were taking over my feeders. I changed the kind of seed I was using and took the bigger feeders down. I put up small ones that the grackles can't perch on. I also raked up the seeds that had fallen under the feeders. This seems to be helping but hasn't gotten rid of the grackles all together.

      Happy Sunday!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I try to keep busy. Y'know those grackles are over populated, I do love to hear their song...but they are quite invasive at times.

        Delete
    17. what a lovely place to go walking...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's one of our favorites close by.

        Delete
    18. I truly would enjoy taking, a slow stroll through that area. You always have such interesting things to share.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Why, thank you. I love compliments like this you've left for me...that keeps me blogging. :o)

        Delete
    19. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
      Looks like you and Bud have been VERY busy bees. Working non stop to get things all ready for Spring. I know you are making the birds happy. I love what you did with the bird bath. What a treasure of color. I love it, and the birds will too.

      I have had my hummingbird feeders out for some time. They are everywhere buzzing and clicking. I love it. They are in love with the hibiscus, geraniums and the snapdragons of late. I love watching them busy about.

      Hang in there a little bit longer, the guests will all be gone from the beaches and you and Bud can get back to normal walks once again.

      Great mings think alike. I love you bunnies. Please pop by and see mine. LOL...We truly were sisters in another life.

      Many hugs sweetie and SO much love, Sherry

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hellllllloooo Sweet Sherry!!! It's always a great day when I see that you paid me a visit.

        Delete
    20. great shadow shots and I love reading what you ave been up to!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Kathy...I'm always glad to read that my visitors and friends enjoy their time here at Hootin' Anni's.

        Delete
    21. Anni, Sounds and looks like you've been busy as a beaver. Everything looks great. If you want, you can come up and help me spring clean when you are through at your house. LOL

      I love the tradition between you and your sister. I am not close to mine. A real shame, but it's been that way for over 50 years, so guess it won't change now.

      Take care and if you get time, drop over to the Writing Nook and see where we took the boys last Tuesday.

      Hugs to you and Bud.
      Mary

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, this time of year we do get ourselves busy, as you know, before the extreme heat comes in a month or two.

        Delete
    22. Ah, getting ready for Spring! How fun. :)))

      ReplyDelete
    23. Beautiful post Anni.
      I also clean my humming bird feeders exactly like you do.
      I hung mine last week. I think this is the earliest I've ever put it out. Oh on another subject. As you know I was forced to switch over to Google Chrome and the new blogger interface in Feb. On the old interface my word verification was off. As I was look around on the dashboard today I noticed the new interface had it on. I apologize for having that nasty nuisances on.

      Happy Sister hood day to you and your sister.
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nope...just commented at your blog Madi, no word verification for me.

        Delete
    24. Beautifully captured. Thank you for your beautiful contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

      Finding Beauty in a shadow. Have a blessed Sunday.

      Rose

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Rose, and thanks for co-hosting.

        Delete
    25. I bet there are some snakes and some geocaches in your woods.

      I can't imagine what spring break is like at the beach.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I haven't really connected with geocaches...but there may very well be!!

        Delete
    26. You did a FABULOUS job with the new birdbath!!! Your painting job is very talented, and I love those stones and the red bark.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Ginny....I have plans of having these little 'circular caches' all along our fencing someday soon.

        Delete
    27. Wonderful post, Anni. I wish my sister and I could get along like that. She has some very strange ideas about me, and is convinced they're true, and there's nothing I can do about it.
      Congratulations on surviving both bougainvillea and cactus. We had some cacti (they do grow in this area) but they died when we had a particularly harsh (-40 is where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet) winter, and I don't particularly mourn them. I like Dick bringing me photos of them in bloom in the coulee nearby.
      My parents used to spend their winters in Baja. I was only there for one Spring Break and the beaches were wild. Entirely too wild for me, and I was only 30ish. LOL
      K

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's not a fun time of year for the two of us....I'm spoiled by being able to go to the beach and have it nearly deserted.

        Delete
    28. We need to be doing that outside work, too. Honey Bear has most of the garden in...We just finished with the Bradford Pear pollen and now we have Pine Tree Pollen...it never ends.
      Thanks for explaining...I wondered why I couldn't find the bird picture.
      Mama Bear

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, I tried to 'catch it'...before it published but I didn't.

        Delete
    29. I feel quite exhausted after reading about all your cleaning projects! Amazing what work can be done around the home! But just scrolled back to the first 2 photos to remind myself of what I wanted to say! The trail seems to lead through a wonderland of low and tall shadowy greens! A beautiful part of the outdoor world!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm always hoping for bird activity. This particular day, it was just no luck...but the water was busy with fowl.

        Delete
    30. If there's a winding, shadowy path, I'll take it!


      Cactus Shadows

      ReplyDelete

    .