“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Mars Attacks!!!




WHITE PELICANS
Oso Bay
March 2012




ENLARGE the bottom left image...It's like there is a 'confab' going on between two in the middle! Therefore, this added caption:--"Did you hear 'bout Maude? She is pregnant by José, her immigrant lover. She thinks her chilluns'll be eligible for Mediclutch. But with "O" in office, she'll just get a goose egg - '0', zero, nada."


CONNECTING TO:




- - -

HODGEPODGE


1. Did March come in like a lion or was it something less ferocious in your neck of the woods? Ummm, that was a week ago, I can't remember the weather on the first day of March. But, I do remember and do NOT look forward to: "Beware of the Hides of March" coming up next week and into the following week. I'll explain this play on Shakespearean quote in a moment... As for the lion vs. lamb on the first day -- I am just not sure what the day was like. Of course, March around here is beginning to feel a bit like Summer on some days, but can change in a heart beat back to early Spring with chilling rains. Still...quite temperate and tropical. Now on to the "HIDES" of March. It seems like every college student from all around comes here for Spring Break to hit the beaches -bumper to bumper cars on the freeway to the island for days & butt to butt bikinis and speedos [a great exhibit of "hides" -human flesh] plus booze and drugs. [previous posts about traffic and breakers with pictures of the 'messes' HERE and HERE] And March usually goes out like a LION too...by this comment I mean - Spring Break is over and there are always several 'rape charges'--- courtrooms are filled with 'em...all from students. You can see by that that March, around town and on the beach during the two week break, is not one of my fondest memories of the month. So, that kinda tells you what March is like here; mostly roaring.

2. Speaking of lions, which one's your film favorite...The Cowardly Lion (Wizard of Oz), Mufasa (The Lion King), Elsa (Born Free), or Alex (Madagascar)? You may notice I left Aslan off the list. Including him would have made this question way too easy for many of you. First off, who's Aslan [had to go Google---ahhhh, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe; Narnia Style. LOL --didn't really remember [if you would have said Liam Neeson, I would've known] his name. Actually, I did like Mr. Tumnus best!! In fact I thought James McAvoy was excellent in The Conspirator also, but this is NOT about lions; sorry --]. I really like the movie Secondhand Lions - so, Jasmine comes to mind. Only because the movie is a comedy. And it's supposedly taking place somewhere in Texas! From those you listed, it would have to be Elsa...She was born free, she has a right to LIVE free. I guess from my answer, you can see I like the 'real' compared to cartoon.

3. What's your favorite spot from which to view the sunrise or sunset?
Easy...the desolate beach!! Just me and the sea---

4. To what extent is knowledge power and to what extent is truth power? What's the difference? Wow...what a question. It would take me way too long to really go into a deep-thinking mode right now and make this simple. Because it is NOT a simple question. Thing is, it makes me think of politicking right now since it's campaign season. For instance, knowledge on how to withhold truth is power it seems. As for me...knowledge gives power to know right from wrong. Truth is more powerful than knowledge...only for the fact that truth IS knowledge in a way...isn't it? Whoa...with that I'm just as confused as you are if you're reading this.

5. What's something peculiar you've seen recently? Nuttin' honey. Anyway I can't recall anything peculiar. Maybe stuff that's in the cat litter box? Nah...I don't want to "scratch the surface" of that subject. LOL

6. Bottled water...your thoughts? I buy it by the case. Does that answer your question? I got into the habit of buying it bottled when we lived in Tucson Arizona because the piped in water was NASTY [both in smell and taste]. And, it's very convenient to partially freeze bottled water and carry it with you while walking on the hot desert trails with temps soaring above 100 degrees; and still have it cold.

7. What's your strongest sense? It most definitely would NOT be sight! [I need driving Rx spectacles for distance... and I use reading glasses]. And to keep you from telling me I need bifocal lenses...nope. Tried 'em...didn't like 'em. Never will use 'em. Guess my strongest sense would be smell.

8. Insert your own random thought here. My random thought this week is a song: "The stars at night - are big and bright...Deep in the Heart of Texas"...well, how 'bout the planets in the Texas Sky?!! I don't know 'bout you, but I for one have been dazzled by the night sky so far this month. The moon's brilliance and the planets! Yes, the planets. I have a very large telescope, tho I haven't used it much since we've relocated to the Gulf because of where we live...so many street lights and neighbor's security lights just loom up the area way too much to really view anything. We did use it a lot in Arizona tho, in fact, that is why we bought it. In Tucson, it's more or less a 'law' to NOT have bright lights because of the Kitt Peak's scientific - humongous - telescopes for star search and such. Even street lights in Tucson have large shades on them to keep the light from reflecting in the sky for the telescopes on Kitt Peak. In fact, I haven't used the telescope at all since coming to Texas. LOL...But, go out just shortly after sunset, as the darkness enfolds your sky ---look to the east and watch MARS rise from the horizon. In the next few nights, the moon will be just below and to the right of Mars. Of course, the later in the month it gets, the later they'll be coming up...And as I've read [to find out what planet it is] ---
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

    ---"March 2012 is one of the best nighttime viewing experiences for planets!!" If you have no telescope, try binoculars. If no binoculars, just use the naked eye...you will be stunned at Mars and how it sparkles from golden, brilliant white-yellow to a dazzling, fiery red. I'm gonna try and get my camera to capture some images...if not, I'll just settle to look and be amazed at just how little I really am in this universe.


CONNECTING TO:


Images/charts courtesy of earth sky.com
no infringement intended.

43 comments :

  1. I love your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise...reading your blog today, catching up, you, my dear are truly blessed.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Anni! Great captures of the pelicans. They are cool birds and one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen....thanks, and your swan post in your nature blog this morning isn't too shabby either. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Always a delight to read your posts...my favorite movie about lions is Secondhand Lion! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one! Have never met many people who ever heard of the movie! Hope you are enjoying your spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did too...that movie was quite comical, and the lion was sweet!!! I enjoyed your veterans' tribute today as well.

      Delete
  4. I think pelicans are such interesting birds. Love them!
    So, I take it you won't be spending a lot of time at the beach in March? : )

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....nope, I'll be a recluse for a couple of weeks during Spring Break. Gonna go to the beach today tho. Hopefully none have shown up yet.

      Delete
  5. Wow March down your way is brutle! Best to stay inside and safe. Good answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, as you can see by reading, I never look forward to those two weeks in March.

      Delete
  6. I have to say that as much as I envy you living there on the coast, I wouldn't enjoy March either (for the reasons you listed). :-(

    Re: the harm of one diet Coke. Oh, dear, I wouldn't have batted an eye if all I had each day was just one diet Coke ... or two or three. Let me just say that I would drink waaaaay more than one diet Coke a day. Waaaaay more. It's not that I was addicted to diet Coke ... I'm drinking the same amount of iced tea ... and back in the day before I discovered diet Coke, I drank this much iced tea ... I just drink a lot ... I think partly because in all my attempts to lose weight, I found that if I drank a lot, my stomach would feel fuller and I would be less likely to grab something to snack on. And so far no bloody nose today. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhhh, okay, a real addiction then. I understand completely.

      Delete
  7. My daughter is headed to Pensacola for Spring Break next week. I'm already a nervous wreck! It's not her decisions that I worry about...it's the decisions of others. I'll be SO glad when the week is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy...a mother's nightmare. To be sure.

      Delete
  8. There is nothing better than being on a beach especially when it's just you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right Christine.

      Delete
  9. I love your answers, too. It was fun seeing how your mind works, Anni. Your bird pictures are pretty cool, too! Spring break? It's been way too long ago for me to even think of it, and nobody for some reason comes up to the Pacific Northwest for it. Who would want to come and watch the rain? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, for one, would LOVE to be in the Northwest during those two weeks of Spring Break down here. LOL

      Delete
  10. Wonderful pictures! I have never seen pelicans in real life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgitta...and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Re: Your picture caption... I don't agree with the gossip about Maud... I think she willllllllllll get coverage, with "O" in office. Then she and her *immigrant* lover and the kid, can all vote for him. -chuckle-

    Hey, you post these things, you know you might get some.... controversial comments. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Auntie" you crack me up. What a hoot.

      Delete
  12. Great pelican shots...just love those birds!
    I can relate to your thoughts on spring break. Being in Daytona Beach Fl over spring break for 13 years..we have just about seen it all! We dreaded this time of year n the city finally cracked down n now Daytona Beach is no longer a hot spot for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...Florida would be another 'bad' place to be during Spring Break. I hear ya'

      Delete
  13. Those two pelicans seem to be saying exactly what you said! LOL Love their pose!!

    I don't envy you March Break at all. We don't get that problem here cuz no one wants to come where it's cold! lol I don't blame you for hiding inside your house when all those students are in town!! It's a shame they can't party without booze, drugs and sex. Ugh!!

    Elsa the lion from Born Free has always been my favourite lion, I still remember the first time I watched that movie, I was bawling like a baby! lol Such a touching true story.

    I'm hoping for a clear night sky soon so that I can look at those planets...the last few nights it's been cloudy and snowing. Hey, it's supposed to go up in the 40's today...woohoo!! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well around here, when there is a 'special showing' in the night sky...usually there is a guarantee that the skies will be overcast. Yep, me too...the story of Elsa had me bawling.

      Delete
  14. Oh Anni, I love pelicans! Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  15. Hoping 'March Madness' at the beach quickly passes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your "March Madness" brings on a whole new meaning to the phrase.

      Delete
  16. I'm right there with ya on the beach at the beginning and ending of the day! If the tap water is nasty, then bottled water is the only logical choice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, yep...me too. on both your comments regarding the beach AND the water.

      Delete
  17. I bet they want to put me in bifocals the next appt I go to... I'm dreading that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read about the planets too, but I don´t know how they will be visible fom my location.

    Cool pelican shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely watery shots, Anni, and the birds are just magnificent.
    I was admiring the fiery red fo Mars the other night. Even though Melbourne is a big city, we don't have all that much light pollution, especially out in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your little sky maps that show us exactly where things are! I had seen this awhile ago, but it was before I knew what it was! I am excited to go look now! White pelicans, I didn't even know there were different kinds, I love them! I buy bottled water by the case, too, Spring water. Seems there is always some kind of problem with the tap water, this way is safe. And so handy to take with you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post ~ awesome photos ~ thanks for coming by my blog ~ namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) linked w/Watery W ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots, love the pelicans!
    Wish you a beautiful day.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni
    March came in like a lamb here. Since March 1 she has been both lamb and lion...no telling how she'll exit. We've had some pretty bad ice and snow storms in March...but thankfully they didn't stick around too long.
    Hugs and see you tomorrow at TTS.
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  24. i've seen a variety of pelicans in bird park before. they are very interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous captures!

    Late visiting from Watery Wednesday, hope you can visit my Water Fountain, entry. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your pelican shots. They are such interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete

.