“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Git 'er done!!

I spotted this in the parking lot atop the asphalt when I was getting near our car...at first I thought it looked like a feather. And I just walked on by it without another glance. After loading the bags in the trunk, I put the cart in the cart corral near the car and had to re-walk my steps...again the 'feather'. This time I stopped and looked more closely. Only to then realize it wasn't a feather at all ----it was a leaf!! I thought it was mighty 'cool' so I picked it up and brought it home. Photographing it, with only the sunlight coming through the window -there was a shadow cast on the wooden table top....







CONNECTING TO:






- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

Well, I kinda slowed down on the Spring Cleaning process. So far, I have completed the master bedroom, the living room, the dining room, hallway, entry way, guest bathroom [this is actually TWO separate rooms with the shower for one, and the lavatory and laundry shoot in another room] and the guest bedroom. And with the guest bedroom, it's all western decor --and the part that took the longest was dusting and cleaning some of Bud's carvings. He loves doing caricatures work...these two I'll share are "Doc Holliday" and what I call "Sam Elliot" -the one in a yellow shirt and blue denims. By the way, just a little tidbit on this one, the inspiration [I guess] was just a tree branch..yes, Sam Elliot's legs and chest and head is ONE piece of tree branch, whittled!! The arms and hat are separate pieces. Also, he designed and cut the Native American "Shield" and Eagle Feather wall clock....adding the clock's dials and hardware. All of them, after he carves them, and they're complete...I am the one that paints 'em; making the character come to 'life'. Needless to say, it takes a small paint brush with thick bristles to clean them thoroughly. Oh, and not to leave out the other gender!! Yep, he carved a "Big Nose Kate" of Tombstone era [Gunfight at the O K Corral era] also. The reportedly love interest of Doc Holliday, and supposedly reported to be a "lady of the evening". She's gussied up for her Doc, whiskey bottle in hand. Face painted, hair braided, black lace and red - Doc's boots on the floor near her as she 'waits to entertain her favorite man'----
Now comes the worst of the lot....the library & the same room has my computer and junk. With all the books being removed from the shelves. [literally hundreds of books -ugh!!] dusted, and then replaced back on the shelves, it'll take forever. And the kitchen. The two worst rooms to clean. But, I'll git 'er done!!! It's been a good time to do this 'cause the days have been overcast and rainy. One day this week, Bud had an opportunity to start working on the grass 'situation' around here. Because of the drought we experienced last summer the sod just up and died completely. There are several spots that he is now raking out the dead getting ready to reseed it all. What a long, hard, chore. But needs to be done. With that, I helped him out some by picking up the refuse and getting in the trash bin for the day the city comes around to pick up. That day, I spied a beautiful male cardinal in one of our backyard trees [I posted photos of him on my Thursday blog post]. While taking breaks here and there with the cleaning, I taught myself how to make and edit my own ringtones for the smart phone! Fun!! I now have NCIS theme for calls from Erik, Goodnight Irene for Irene's incoming calls...and the last one I did so far was Reba McEntire's "Sister my Friend" for my sister's calls. I love the fact that I found out how to do this. Oh, and after I cleaned and scrubbed down the guest bathroom [it's really not for guests much as the two of us use this one more often than the master bath...lol] ---anyway, I went shopping for new bath linens [towels, hand towels, face cloths, and throw rugs to go over the floor tiles]. I can't believe the cost of these items. I just purchased a new shower curtain a couple of weeks ago, and with that mingled into the cost the whole new 'wardrobe' for the bath it came to over $100. Goodness gracious. We've been making just sandwiches for our dinner these days. The tastiest meal this week by far was Smoked Mesquite Turkey and jalapeno with provolone cheese slices on bolillo bread and waffle potatoes with tossed salad and my favorite creamy ceasar dressing. Saturday...most of the day long - more laundry done and pulled weeds and bought a new bird bath - set that up.

By the way...




The cowboy boots and Kate's feet.
LOL

52 comments :

  1. great looking feather leaf anni!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...I so enjoyed your prose this morning.

      Delete
  2. Neat leaf!
    I love seeing the carvings! Bob carves caricature carvings as well so I really appreciate seeing what others do. He paints his own, so I don't have to do what you do. You and Bud do great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have tears in my eyes from coming back from visiting with you...such a warm, wonderful happy moment you shared.

      Delete
  3. Amazing art in that feathery shaped leaf! Incredible find! And love the various colour tones in it too! Enjoyed your chatty cleaning post! Not my favourite activity! But it has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma....your comments and taking time to visit with me is always much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Those carvings are great! Tombstone is one of my all-time favorite movies. I believe it to be Val Kilmer's defining role. Bud is pretty talented and your painting rocks! Now, I need someone for some spring cleaning myself...must have experience..know anyone?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me tell you this: "I don't do windows". hehehehe, that's the only 'funny' thing I can think of this morning...too early.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful leaf shot...good eye for catching it! And the carvings are wonderful! WHat a talent...well done! Not interested in cleaning right now - I can't seem to get my energy back after this latest bout with antibiotics. I seem to be wearing down quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that leaf! And the whittling is so danged cool...you two are very talented!

    I know what you mean about spring cleaning...I've got plans, myself. Getting to them will be the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...loved your Seattle scenes this morning.

      Delete
  7. Love the leaf and what wonderful carvings! I love them! Spring cleaning can wait a while -- easier with a small apartment than it was with a four bedroom house! Have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia...coming from you, I'm very appreciative.

      Delete
  8. what a pretty leaf...and it does look like a feather, great shadow .....have a wonderful week.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, "T"....I do so love your hand puppet you made!!! And, thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  9. How artistic! Thanks a lot of your beautiful contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday!

    Shadow Behind
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose....I enjoyed your fun-packed shadow shot too.

      Delete
  10. I like the leaf - here, it looks almost as jewelry of pewter, silver or platinum. A 'precious' find, it offers style and shadow in equal measures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always leave such kind words Ralph...with your visit, I truly appreciate you giving me time from your day.

      Delete
  11. coolest leaf I ever saw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great...I'm glad you stopped by for a visit...with your hectic life and all, it's amazing that you found time. No, seriously.

      Delete
  12. It does look like a feather. And you have been busy, Anni. I love the carvings and the painting does, as you say, make it all come alive. Thanks for sharing all this cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much DJan. I love your new 'do' by the way.

      Delete
  13. That leaf is beautiful! It almost has a metallic look to it. Reminds me of the time I spray-painted something in my yard with gold paint and later my son (very young at the time) was thrilled when he and his friend found gold leaves in the yard! They just knew they'd found a "treasure"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...ya, I bet they DID think they had found treasure!! Your post, on the other hand, made me learn something new.

      Delete
  14. Nothing but smart! I love the leaf shadow! Brilliant move on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The feather leaf is beautiful and you photographed it just right!! Your husband is quite a talented carver!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind lady!!!! I really enjoyed perusing your "yard sale" this morning.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful leaf!
    Have a blessed Shadow Shot Sunday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea...thanks. I especially liked your unusual flower posts...both the hawthorne and the double daffodil.

      Delete
  17. Very nifty leaf! Spring cleaning? Oh, my, I have to get that started as soon as I get home in April. So much to do!

    Happy Sunday,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni ... I wish you would come up here and help me with Spring cleaning .. you are such a thorough cleaner I just know I would feel super after one of your sessions ! LOL
    That leaf looks almost metallic ! no wonder it caught your eye !
    Simple is some times the very best for suppers .. those sandwiches sound great .. I'll have to keep that in mind !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super tasting sandwiches!!! I'm really thinking of taking a week off after this is all done. A week of doing absolutely NUTTIN'!!

      Delete
  19. What kind of a leaf??????? It certainly made a great Photo Op!!!

    Ahhhhh, your husband is a wood worker. So is mine. :-)

    Gracious, but you have an awful lot of house and things, to spring clean!!!! Can you send me some *umph*? I don't have all that much, and I still don't like doing it weekly, even.

    Neat yes! Stuff must be neat! But..... after that, I'm more lax shall we say. -grin-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auntie...I really have no idea where or what tree this leaf is from...there were none to be seen close by. I guess it was just waiting for me to find it. LOL

      Delete
  20. Your feather/leaf looks as though it has been crafted out of silver. It's really beautiful.

    Shadowy Yellow Flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMT!!! I too loved your beautiful yellow desert flower.

      Delete
  21. What a pretty shot of the feather!
    A busy bee you have been. And a very talented husband you have. :)
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I think I fell in love with your "Gaby". So, so very PURRecious.

      Delete
  22. Very nice photo of the feather.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....you know I always admire your photography, so this is considered a special compliment for me.

      Delete
  23. Anni that leaf looks as if it has been bronzed....
    Great shot!!
    Now I want a Mesquite smoked turkey sandwich!!
    Dang that sounds good. I never met a turkey I didn't like!!
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is superb....It's from our grocer's deli and the tastes mingled with jalapeno pepper...yummy.

      Delete
  24. That is a perfect leaf "feather" and its shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni,
    If you will permit it, I would like to use your red no word verification on my post. I have a plain old simple one. I like yours. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can use it!! Just click on it, save it and it's yours!

      Delete
  26. Oh wow, that leaf certainly does look like a feather, how cool is that?!! Glad you decided to take a closer look at it:-)

    I've just started my Spring cleaning although it certainly doesn't feel Sping like at all with just having had two major snowstorms in a row and frigid temps! lol Just decided to do the cleaning anyway since there's nothing to do outside!! I don't envy you having to clean all those books in your library, I always find that the worst part. I don't have half as many books as I used to, only one full bookcase in the recroom now:-)

    Bud's carvings are absolutely awesome! Between his and your talents at carving and painting, you make quite the team:-) And as for Sam Elliot? Oh wowwwwww, I've always had a major crush on him!! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous3/12/2012

    Looking to find someone special for your life?An invitation of equinemingle.{c,om}. is offered!Here you can find hundreds of thousands of open-minded singles & couples looking to explore their cowboys and cowgirls.sign up for free!

    ReplyDelete

.