“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Did you wash up before eating? ----

According to the animal world, we humanoids have it all backward, we wash BEFORE eating, while all others clean up after eating....Y'all know who read my blog often enough that there is a wintering hawk in a large cottonwood tree in our neighborhood. A Cooper's Hawk has prominent stripes on its tail feathers while the Swainson's is less so, but still visible; just dimmer. Then, of course there is the Marsh Hawk...also marked alike...yet, the wingspan and size has a lot to do with identifying any of them individually....but all are very similar.









A COOPER'S HAWK...

















...washing up, after eating!!
Paradise Ponds
Port Aransas Texas











...after he had thoroughly cleaned himself, he flew out of the shadows and up into the trees to grab some sun rays, and as we walked out of the area, I spied him on a branch and waited for him to finish preening; he looked up and I got this image---







CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters



- - -


WEEKEND FUNNIES

This week, just jokes in general
[remember - I just read 'em copy 'em and paste 'em here. If they are offensive to you, many apologies]:



TWO AFRICAN AMERICAN’S BUDDIES WERE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND A CAR CAME BY AND HIT ONE OF THEM AND SPED OFF. HIS BUDDY RAN TO THE CLOSEST HOUSE, AND ASKED IF HE COULD BORROW THE PHONE TO CALL 911. THE LADY SAID YES. THE 911 OPERATOR ASKED, WHAT IS THE EMERGENCY? HE REPLIED… "YEAH, MY DAWG GOT HIT BY A CA-AR. I NEED A AM-BU-LANCE HERE ON SYC-U-MOE (SYCAMORE ST.)SKREET. THE 911 OPERATER SAID, “SYC-U-MOE????… CAN YOU PLEASE SPELL THAT FOR ME SIR? HE SAID, YEAH….. S…C…Y… NO,NO,NO, ITS S…Y…C…M… HEY, I JUST CARRY MY DAWG TO LEE SKREET AND YA’LL PICK HIM UP THERE, 'KAY?

* * *

What a woman says:

Cmon…This place is a mess! You and I need to clean. Your pants are on the floor and you’ll have no clothes if we don’t do laundry now!

What a man hears:

C’MON….blah, blah, blah YOU AND I blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ON THE FLOOR blah, blah, blah, NO CLOTHES blah, blah, blah, blah, NOW!


* * *

The politician, distraught and contemplating his latest scandal was walking through Washington looking for any kind of guidance. He walks up to the Washington Monument, looks up and says, ‘George, you were always wise, what should I do?’ Low and behold, a voice comes down from above and says, ‘ work on ABOLISHING THE I.R.S. AND START OVER.’ The Congressman, amazed that he is talking to the past country leader thinks he’ll try it again. He walks over to the Jefferson Memorial and utters the same request. ‘Thomas, you never had these kind of problems, what can I do to rally people behind me?’ Again a voice from above answers, ‘WELFARE, ITS NOT WORKING, ABOLISH IT, START OVER.’ After hearing this the statesperson is so excited he is planning to go to all the historic sites for guidance. Next he goes to the Lincoln Memorial. ‘Abe, I need your help, people are losing confidence in me and they no longer trust me what should I do?’ After a substantial pause Abe responds, ‘TAKE THE DAY OFF GO TO THE THEATER.’

25 comments :

  1. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise...you're a godsend. You know that my friend.

      Delete
  2. I love the pictures! I especially liked the joke about men and women. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter...good medicine! Thanks Mari...I enjoyed looking at your 'trip home' today also.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos of the hawk...and laughed out loud at the joke about men and women! What a nice way to start the day - with a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your river alligators today Linda.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Anni you hawk photos are awesome. Great series and photos. Cool sighting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have a great hawk image share on your blog too, but must admit I like the "Disco Duck" best. LOL

      Delete
  5. We had a Cooper's Hawk in one of our pine trees years ago. He stayed long enough for me to get my camera, but I'll be darned if I can find the photo now.

    Please consider following my blog. I have lost Google Friends Connect but have added Linky Followers and BlogLovin to my sidebar.

    Kind regards,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an account with either Linky or BlogLovin....but, I'll check it out.

      Delete
  6. Your Cooper's Hawk pictures are great. I have a resident juvenile who visits my porch now and then, but my pictures are nowhere near as good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the chuckles to start my Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super shots of the cooper's hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - what a beauty that hawk is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool to watch this hawks sprucing itself up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photos of the hawk bathing, Anni. Just wonderful. I'm impressed.
    Laughed at the joke about the wife and husband. My husband has had his hearing checked and found defective. He hasn't done anything about it, however, because it's such a good excuse for not answering when I speak to him. (True fact.)
    I wish the prime minister of Canada would "take the day off and go to the theater"!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent bird.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic shots...very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots, Anni! I've never seen a hawk bathe before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the joke above!! Your hawk pictures are amazing, I have never seen a Marsh Hawk!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos of hawks.

    But I'm grumpy, when I see any around. Not that I do, much here. But... Used to, when we fed the birds. Poor birds... Feed for the hawk.

    Yes, I know. It's nature. But I still used to go out and try to scare 'em away. LOL.

    And the reason for the *used to feed the birds...* It gets very icy, where we had to take a few steps, to do so. It got to be a choice between... The birds... And us falling and breaking a leg. :-)

    "Always keep your home presentable,
    assuming you keep a home
    for purposes of presentation."


    ~Robert Brault

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a blessing to be able to capture the birds up close as you have. Thanks for sharing and for dropping by my blog. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love these images, well done on having your camera with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Great captures of the hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great series of photos!

    ReplyDelete

.