my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




"Catch of the Day"




...an osprey with its 'catch of the day'...
Indian Point Park
Portland, Texas
March 17, 2012
[take note of his wet underbelly...just flew in from the tidal basin after snatching up his prey]


Yesterday [early Friday morning], while we were driving through heavy fog and going to the islands, along the freeway, entering to cross over the causeway, Bud and I saw TWO ospreys on the power poles for the street lights, high above. I couldn't pull over because the fog was just too thick for safety. We walked the Whitecap Beach for about an hour then, hopped back in the car to head for another 'birding' park in town. While heading on to the beach, I looked back to Corpus and saw this phenomenal huge vast fog bank blanketing the city skyline. At the beach, the sun was shinning. I had no opportunity to aim the camera to the fog bank 'cause this particular beach is 'filled' with hotels...the view toward the city is quite obscured. You had to be there...kinda like a cult movie being that the horizon was dark and filled with a foggy mist. Traveling again on the causeway, back into town, we saw another on a power LINE this time. Again, not able to pull off to the shoulder...this time, heavy traffic. That makes Gilligan [he's always there when we cross the water way...99% of the time...hence his name...Gilligan as in Gilligan's Isle]. Seeing two others then, we dubbed one Ginger and the other since he was alone and by himself, we dubbed him "The Professor". If we see more than Gilligan next time, there just has to be a Skipper, Mary Ann and the Millionaire and his wife!! [kidding] Ospreys are almost just as regal looking as a bald eagle in my estimation.






CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters




- - -

WEEKEND FUNNIES
[fish tales]



A couple goes on vacation to a fishing resort in northern Minnesota. The husband likes to fish at the crack of dawn. The wife likes to read. One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a short nap. Although she isn't familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and continues to read her book. Along comes the game warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside her and says,"Good morning, Ma'am, what are you doing?"
"Reading my book," she replies, thinking isn't that obvious?
"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informs her.
"But officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?"
"Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."
"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with rape," says the woman.
"But I haven't even touched you," says the game warden.
"That's true, but you do have all the equipment."
MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads.


*

A woman goes into a shop to buy a rod and reel as a gift.
She doesn't know which one to get so she just grabs one and goes over to the counter where there's a shop assistant wearing dark shades. "Excuse me sir" she says "can you tell me anything about this rod and reel?"
The assistant replies "Ma'am I'm blind but if you drop it on the counter I can tell you everything you need to know about it from the sound it makes."
She didn't believe him, but dropped it on the counter anyway.
He said, "That's a 6' graphite rod with a Zebco 202 reel and 10 lb. test line...It's a good all around rod and reel and it's only $20.00".
The lady said, "It's amazing that you can tell all that just by the sound of it dropping on the counter. I think it's what I'm looking for so I'll take it."
He walks behind the counter to the register, and in the meantime the woman breaks wind big-time. At first she is embarrassed but then realizes that there is no way he could tell it was her...being blind he wouldn't know that she was the only person around.
The assistant rings up the sale and says, "That will be $25.50."
She says, "But didn't you say it was $20.00?"
"Yes ma'am, the rod and reel is $20.00, but the duck call is $3.00, and the catfish stink bait is $2.50."


*

What do you call a fish with no eye?
FSH, of course!

35 comments :

  1. That is funny!! I can't wait to show my oldest these pictures when he gets home from camping! Birds of Prey have been his favorite for so long! Look at those talons, just imagine. They sure are impressive and this one is so photogenic, just look at him pose!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so pretty. Almost evil looking but still very pretty.

      Delete
    2. My son did indeed think they are cool. He wishes you had caught a video of this amazing bird doing his 'fishing' act. Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I have Ospreys in my post today too! Great shot! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooooooo, you found a nest of 'em!!! Super.

      Delete
  3. Anni, AWEsome shots of the Osprey with its catch. And I really enjoyed your funnies this week. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the photos....he's mighty protective of it too, by the looks of it...

      Delete
  4. Fantastic shots Anni! One of these days I'll photograph that Osprey that I often see around a pond I frequent. He/she doesn't stand still long enough for me to take a clear shot. Pfft! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your osprey...I think they're very cool birds. And so photogenic.

      Delete
  5. Love your osprey tales and photos! We used to see them (I think) circling around the lights at the ball park in Punta Gorda, FL when we'd go to a night baseball game. One was nesting up in the light bank, too.

    About Facebook---I check in to see what my kids and nieces and nephews are up to. I don't have much life to share on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either...regarding FB. In fact, what I've noticed while there...it's very 'cold and unfriendly' compared to blogging.

      Delete
  6. they are impressive!

    (fsh - ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I fell in love with one Thelma Jean today.

      Delete
  7. Those photos are outstanding, and thanks for making me laugh this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to see you stop by Dawn. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  8. The osprey is one of my favorite birds! Before I saw my first one, I thought they were more like a heron or some other water bird. I think they are fantastic! There are a couple of them where we walk every day and I love watching them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, if you ever chance to photograph them, I'd love to see you share the pics!!

      Delete
  9. Very good photos of this magnificent bird.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing the ospreys when I am home in Florida ... they are wonderful and I love watching them fish!


    Please stop by my blog for a link to a new movie coming out soon called "Darling Companion" with Diane Keaton and Kevin Kline. I thought I would share with all of the Camera Critters! I haven't seen it yet .. but I'm looking forward to seeing it. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....a tear jerker indeed.

      Delete
  11. MR. OSPREY'S CATCH OF THE DAY WAS YOUR PICTURE OF THE DAY!!
    Excellent shot.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you M&M....but I know why it is...fish and birds in the same photo? Madi loves' it.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos of the osprey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice Osprey shots! Loved the funnies, got a groan and a chuckle from my Hubby for FSH. :)

    You asked about the K-Cups. I have a Keurig single-cup coffee brewer. I love never having day old coffee! K-Cups are the single-serve coffees for the brewer. I like a few varieties of regular coffee in the K-Cups and I love a few flavored ones too. :)

    Thanks for stopping by The Chronicles of Nani! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww, that explains that. I'm not a coffee drinker.

      Delete
  15. Oh, wow! Those are gorgeous, Anni! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ!! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous shots Anni!!

    My Critter post, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Sunday too Rose.

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very regal looking bird, isn't it?

      Delete

.