my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Voodoo Woman? Nah!!

I know I've not shown my voodoo doll that I purchased and had 'blessed' while vacationing in New Orleans over the past Thanksgiving holiday. Mainly because voodoo is supposedly a bad religion to most. Yes, there is bad voodoo...evil voodoo. But, if you've ever researched on the subject, there IS ALSO GOOD VOODOO. Of course, it's originally 'based on' the religious beliefs of the West Africans. But for me, it's more of a superstition or a good luck charm. While there visiting, one of my main goals, after reading about the voodoo priestess who did good voodoo in the early French city of New Orleans, in the late 1700s and early 1800s...and how her clientele built up because of her good reputation and what good deeds she did throughout her life, I was inclined to get me a voodoo doll. I too, before I read so much, thought it was more or less all evil, conjuring in my mind the plain clothed primitive faceless doll with pins stuck in for curses... and didn't realize that there are priestesses [and kings] who do only good deeds. But, of course, this is just still a mythical belief to me...yet, it did NOT deter my wanting one. It costs plenty [monetarily] to have a doll 'blessed' by the high priestess... but, it's part of what I wanted...I just didn't want an 'off the shelf' handled by 100s of tourists doll...I wanted the real thing!! Just to have a bit of their culture and perhaps believe in a superstition more or less. Anyway, throughout the city, there are few of the renowned priestesses who will bless your doll specifically for what you want. Or you can buy the more generalized versions that are found in 'bulk' on the voodoo specialty shops' shelves and bins. I wanted one made especially for me...this is what I chose:

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

In Louisiana culture - The Voodoo doll is a form of gris-gris, and an example of sympathetic magic. Contrary to popular belief, Voodoo dolls are usually used to bless instead of curse. The purpose of sticking pins in the doll is not to cause pain in the person the doll is associated with, but rather to pin a picture of a person or a name to the doll, which traditionally represents a spirit. The gris-gris is then performed from one of four categories: love; power and domination; luck and finance; and uncrossing.

For me, a voodoo charm, gris-gris, or perhaps a doll is nothing more or similar to that of those who carry a good luck charm such as a rabbit's foot, or those that carry along with them on their travels, a St. Christopher medal, or a Native American Totem -things that you may wish to believe in or have a certain superstition that they will work.

The voodoo priestess [photo] who blessed the doll outside their 'church' and adjacent to the gris-gris establishment - note: I can't even recall her name now as I type this, Miriam something or other... but I do remember she is from Africa, and only recently within the last two decades began practicing the good voodoo in New Orleans along with her husband, who recently passed away. She also does rituals, marriage ceremonies, and other stuff I can't now recall, plus, if you enlarge the other photo next to her, this is what the doll represents for me.



Her photo is borrowed from online [I did not take this photo]








CONNECTING TO:


41 comments :

  1. Enjoyed, as I always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::smiles:: Denise, you're inspirational to us all.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard that it can be for good luck too. It's nice to know.

    Liz @ MCN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read about Louisiana Voodoo, there is much more GOOD voodoo than bad performed.

      Delete
  3. Oh my...she is very scary looking. I don't think I would want her hanging around me very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if I didn't know and was introduced to the priestess. The doll was designed for me because of the colors...and she is CLAY and most 'commercial' voodoo dolls are fabric.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize it could be used for good also - still think I would be hesitant to have one around. But then, I tend to be overly cautious concerning the spiritual realm! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuttin' wrong with being cautious!!

      Delete
  5. I learned something today. Always thought voodoo was associated with evil.

    To answer your questions from yesterday: yes, Stratego is that military strategy game. My grandson set up an abbreviated version (with fewer pieces) to give me a couple of practice games ... and to save time, since it was getting close to the end of nap time. And yes, you could see my lap hoop in the photo of my quilting progress. When I am done quilting everything contained by the hoop, I unhoop and move the hoop to an unquilted section and quilt there. It's a lot of moving ... but it works really well for me ... my arms are short, so I'm able to reach all areas of the hoop pretty comfortably. A bigger hoop would possibly mean less moving, but my hand may not be able to comfortably reach the center of the hoop (trust me, I know ... I started with a larger hoop that sits unused downstairs). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, as I stated below in another reply comment...the Christians tried to abolish this religion noting that it was Devil Worship...which in fact the Catholics and the Voodoo priestesses and priests cooperated with each other in New Orleans...In fact, if you read the book I mentioned a couple months ago, you'll find that the Catholics even went to the priestess for help from her Voodoo.

      Delete
  6. Tooo scary for me :-) Thanks for visiting me, and yes it´s a tulip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tulips were absolutely gorgeous.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know all this about voodoo and the dolls, Anni. Now I am enlightened, filled with light. See? The doll WORKS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan...glad you were 'enlightened'...yep, the doll's working for me then, I guess.

      Delete
  8. Which reminds me, I've yet to get the book, about the lady who did Good Voodoo.

    So many books, so little time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Auntie"...I thought it was a very good book. Tho a novel, it was based on the history of her life in New Orleans.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know that good voodoo also exists! Thanks for the info! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great knowing that my post allowed you to learn something new.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you covered good voodoo
    it's all so misunderstood
    cool post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting info on good voodoo. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Marti.

      Delete
  12. There were days before I retired where a Voodoo doll would have been a necessary tool
    LOL
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roflmao. Now, that's funny.

      Delete
  13. Our church is heavily involved in Haiti, so I know about what my friends have experienced with VooDoo there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Haitians use Voodoo religion to its healing powers, am I right? They also perform ceremonies and such.

      Delete
  14. I'd never heard that it could be for good luck too, so cool :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, for centuries, the Christians were among those that made Voodoo "Devil Worship" to those who follow their beliefs and tried to banish Voodoo.

      Delete
  15. Since this one is clay, I am not worried...it's the cloth ones that get stuck with all those pins. :)))
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one scarey looking voodoo doll!!!!
    Many thanks for visiting and leaving your comment on my blog. I appreciate it :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annie, send some of that good Voo Doo my way.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew, I'm glad you won't be sticking pins in one of those voodoo dolls with a similarity to me! hehe Actually, not that long ago I was reading about the "good" voodoo so knew about it. It's a shame that it's all so misunderstood but then every time it's shown in a movie, it's used for evil so it's no wonder people think it's a bad thing. I think it's awesome that you got one made just for you and had it blessed by a true priestess. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting how the note refers to "divine light"! I guess it is all yin and yang - like good witch and bad witch! I am also intrigued that you were able to get one made for you! Always fascinating to explore new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni,

    If you come to Borneo, don't buy a voodoo doll. I rote a story about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's my first time to know about the good voodoo...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting post! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my place and taking the time to comment;o)

    ***
    Hope you are having a nice week****

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting post ! Glad it is for good.

    ReplyDelete

.