“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






"Good Luck. Yours truly, Jack the Ripper"

SHADOW QUOTE:
Between the idea...
And the reality...
Between the motion...
And the act...
Falls the Shadow.

    ~T. S. Elliot,  'THE HOLLOW MAN' 




Funny, last week, I posted beautiful, serene and tranquil shadows of the marina in the city's bay. Now, this shadow seems quite sinister-looking today. Especially since part of my Sunday Summary has to do with a British program; whitechapel and a Jack the Ripper copy-cat murder mystery series. But I assure you, it's never been used as a weapon, unless you consider the assault on nails a crime. LOL...

I have my post ready to publish, and since the meme always seems to be ready and we're able to leave our links on Saturday --I'll just publish it now [On Saturday; my time zone]---




connected to: Shadow Shot Sunday2 linked button found on BOTTOM of my blog page]

- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


This week, for the first day it was cold, rainy and overcast. Made for a long, drug out day. Too cold and wet to be outdoors any. So it was reading mostly and piddling around on the computer. I also got the urge to begin another pencil sketch. I've been wanting to do this now for a few days, but the fact that angles and straight, concise lines, and getting the perspectives right on a building isn't something I'm much good at. It's a challenge...Funny thing is, it took forever to find my sketch pad. In fact, all I found was a loose sheet of paper in my sketch portfolio. I looked and looked everywhere. Nada. And it's either half-heimers or something...but I musta used up my last sheet long ago, and forgot to go buy another. Which I did that very day. On the same day I went to buy a new sketch pad, I finally took my camera's media card into Walgreen's to have some hard copies made from what started out to be of over 400 photos. Before I left to have them printed out, I narrowed the amount down to 260. Then, when I got to the photo section of the store, I put in the card and then went through them all individually, and narrowed it down even more. I had 85 prints made. I think I did well. hehehehe I talked with Erik while he was driving to teach his afternoon class at the university, and remembered to ask him if he has heard anything from Rice in regards to his application to attend and work on getting a Ph D....he said he's checked into the applicant's site and it states that everyone's applications are still in review. I really don't know how he can have the patience that he has...by now, I'd want to know one way or another. I also received texts from Irene during her work week. She has to have surgery in the near future, and I wanted to know when, where, and by whom. LOL...She got into see her doctor, and the surgery is scheduled for March 2nd. I always suffer quite a bit of anxieties when it comes to my kids' health. Once a mother, always a mother, no matter how old our children are. Y'know? A few days ago, Jane from Jane at Levant mentioned in a comment to me that she is watching a British Crime Drama "Whitechapel". I immediately thought "Jack the Ripper"...which is a real life murder mystery [still unsolved] that both Bud and I are fascinated by. At first, my first instinct was giving Jane a good ol' American raspberry ---but then, I thought "You wonder if I can find this program on the 'net with hulu or something?"...So, out I went and googled. I found it, and Bud and I both sat down and watched the first episode; being hooked. The program is about modern day copy-cat murders of the same kind as back when Jack the Ripper terrorized the London district of Whitechapel in the late 1800s. Not bad so far; as we'll continue to try and keep up with the upcoming episodes. Imagine, watching British TV...for free!! Take that Time Warner!!!! Thursday, Bud took me out for my annual birthday lunch of butterflied shrimp on the bay. If ever you're in this area, the best place to have deep fried fresh shrimp is a place called Blackbeard's. The first impression [at least for me] was "ewwww, what a dive". Not a handsome building, kinda run-down and skanky...but oh the food. It's out of this world good. And I will always go there for shrimp. Nothing fancy...just good down home, delicious, entreés. On Friday, I resumed my pencil sketch of the lighthouse, and finished it. As I stated above, I do now proclaim I am not good with the degrees/angles and perspectives when it comes to drawing straight lines and getting 'em to look "real". My roof lines and railings and piers below the house...all quite wobbly. I could never be an architect and design buildings. LOL



Saturday, early in the morning, I framed it and hung it on the wall...


THE LYDIA ANN - Texas


Whitechapel image borrowed from IMDB
LIGHTHOUSE: Photo I took from town click here...and...history click here

48 comments :

  1. It looks plenty real to me! I wish I could sketch that well!
    Great shadows on your weapon/hammer too :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roflmao....'weapon'. "if I had a hammer"....

      Delete
  2. You are a great artist.
    I like your pencil sketches very much.
    Beautiful photo, too.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sketch looks very good!! I need a drawing class, according to my oil instructor, in order to do better paintings. I cannot draw! The hammer does indeed look sinister...but I know you are NOT a violent sort...have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you painted. As long as you paint with your mind...you well...you don't need to know how to draw; really. You paint what's in your mind.

      Delete
  4. I think your sketch is good, Anni. And I say that as someone who knows little about anything other than what I like, when it comes to art. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thought for a shadow shot, Anni! Glad you only use that hammer for hammering nails!! lol

    My goodness, Rice University sure is taking their sweet time with the applications...like you, I'd be going nuts waiting by now! lol Good luck to Erik, I do hope he hears either way soon. As for Irene, I know what you mean about worrying about our kids' health, no matter how old they are. Praying that her surgery will go well.

    Whitechapel sounds like quite the interesting program. Which site on the net can you watch programs like that?

    Isn't it funny that sometimes the best food can be found in a restaurant that looks like a dive/nothing fancy? Glad you had such a delicious birthday meal:-)

    Your pencil sketch of the lighthouse turned out beautifully, well done!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea...I'm not sure what the url is...for whitechapel...just go out online and do a google search for 'free episodes of whitechapel'

      Delete
  6. no, not so sinister. It is a tool for workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pencil sketch is so beautifully detailed and the frame complementing it!
    The shadow and hammer is a little sinister but it has an appealing quiet drama!
    Thanks so much again for the shadow quote! I'm especially thrilled because I adore T.S.Eliot's poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....T S Elliot was superior in the crafting of words I think.

      Delete
  8. How talented you are!! What a terrific sketch, Anni! Love your shadow quote, too, as Elliot is one of my favorite, too. And the hammer makes a great shadow shot and it is a great tool! Who can get along without a hammer -- not even me!! Hope your weekend is going well! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whitechapel sounds fascinating! Unfortunately my internet connection doesn't allow things like that. Paired with your shadow shot, it does lend it a sinister air!

    I'm impressed with your drawing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hammer offers a striking shadow (if not striking the head of a nail anyway :)

    In the days of film, we were pretty careful with each shot, lest we have to throw out prints we didn't like.It is completely the opposite with digital, where winnowing them down is more like work!

    Nice pencil drawing - a lighthouse is always a great subject on any shore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph...clever play on words. Quite 'striking'

      Delete
  12. Your sketch looks good to me. I love British mysteries. They are so much more realistic that USA one. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is an art to finding art in common objects. You're an artist!


    A Painted, Shadowy Image

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the sketch is gorgeous!

    Love the shadow shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful sketch! My brother can draw and paint so well.... I did not inherit that gene. :)
    Great shadow shot for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shadows cast by that hammer, and as for your sketch, what a talent you have. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the hammer (if I had a hammer....) and LOVE the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those hammer shadows are a bit intimidating.

    You are quite the talented sketch artist. I think your Lighthouse sketch is awesome!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting subject matter this week for the shadow shot....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful sketch! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANKS EVERYONE...all your positive feedback keeps me going. Like the 'n'ergizer bunny.

    Much appreciated!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's such a lovely sketch! Have always enjoyed lighthouses!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the hammer shadow is great...and your drawing is lovely. getting things to scale is difficult, however, you've done a splendid job with this drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...now that you mentioned 'scale'...heck, that didn't even cross my mind. Amazing eye you have.

      Delete
  24. Wow! You're a fine sketcher! And glad you got it up and framed so quickly!I always tend to procrastinate and by the time I finally get things up, I've lost interest! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet....I guess I'm too much of a self-critic, 'cause I see one of the houses behind the lighthouse leaning toward the sea. LOL And, thanks for becoming my 600th follower!!!!

      Delete
  25. Anni your sketch is absolutely beautiful...do you have artistic DNA or have you had classes!?? Please keep us posted on Irene's surgery...you are so right once a mom always a mom.
    Are you watching Downton Abby?
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never took any classes other than one semester of art in High School.

      Now, I gotta go check out what "Downton [do you mean Downtown?] Abby" is all about.

      Delete
  26. Anni, love your sketch. I've always wanted to draw, but have absolutely no talent in that area. A stick man is tough for me. LOL

    Whitechapel sounds interesting. I may have to look it up and see if we can get it here.

    Happy Belated Birthday, my friend. Wishing you a wonderful year.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That was some Subject Line. ,-)

      Architects don't make lovable art. You do. :-)

      "Auntie"

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary!! Long time ---been a busy time for you, I imagine.

      Delete
  27. Gorgeous! Thanks for your contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

    Muffin's Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Your sketch is wonderful and I admire your talent! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come again! To answer your question: Yes, I wrote the poem; glad you liked it. All photos are mine - and text unless an author is cited.

    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poem was wonderful!!!

      Delete
  29. Love your red hammer....it looks in better shape than the blue one I posted last week. Nice shadow, too. genie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Anni your drawing is awesome to me. I think you very gifted.
    I would of framed it too.
    I have heard of this show but I did not think I could get it now I am curious and will have to see.
    It has rained here so much that the weeds out here are really getting out of control so I had to break down and get back on the big tractors.
    Hope you enjoy your week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.....isn't the rain marvelous!! Texas so needs the moisture. And, I hear'ya about the weeds!!

      Delete
  31. wow! that's one awesome drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks really good to me!

    As for funky looking restaurants, the best ones we find when we're traveling are those kinds - the kinds the locals eat at!

    I know what you mean about the kids and their health. It's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your drawing is wonderful Anni! I can only dream to be able to draw. I'll just stick to photography :)
    I also love your shadow shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your drawing...you have such a nice talent.
    Happiest Valentine's Day....
    I am off to see a grandgirl in a playoff basketball game so I'll be is sweet company. :))
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete

.