“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Early Moning Dew...

...on vinca vine [top photo] and rose petal [bottom photo]
Front Yard

[I just realized there is a typo in the Blog Post Title...geez. I can't change it 'cause the Google Reader Link wouldn't work then...it should be "Early Morning Dew". Oh well. Chalk this up to being a Monday, okay?]






CONNECTING TO:
studio waterstone


- - -



Sunrise on Whitecap Beach



CONNECTING TO:



- - -


MONDAY MORSELS


So, I'm thinking antique kitchen and other long-ago gadgets here, today. I wonder, just how many of us of the late 40's early 50s generation-born still have [or remember] some of the oldies but goodies that our mom's used? Sure we have a lot of convenient little goodies now-a-days that work wonders in saving time - my favorite is still, hands down, but not considered a gadget per sé --it's got to be the best time saver ever---the dishwasher. LOL But, do y'all remember mom having her own meat grinder? Or a specialized spoon with wires within the 'cupped part' of the spoon to gently FOLD in egg whites to a mixture so as to not break down the whipped whites? Or maybe a hand held can-opener that you poke into a metal can and twist and jerk your wrist around the can's edge to open...and beware of the jagged edge?!!! Maybe a hand held egg beater? What about the 'juicer'? That glass implement [it was made of glass back in the 50s] that was put into use to 'squeeze' or twist the juice from any citrus fruit? Outside the kitchen, there were typewriters, and washing machines that had 'ringers' and some of them were hand cranked? Maybe the huge wooden box that was close to monstrous in size only to have a little glass screen that we stared into to get moving pictures...called TV? And you actually had to get up to change channels [tho there were only three choices] Oh, and the television sets were running by glass vacuum tubes; when it burned out, the TV stopped working until the tube was replaced? LIKE THESE?. Remember taking typewriting class in school? Or perhaps learning on your own...with a thing called a typewriter? I still have mine!! The one I learned on. I've had it since Jr. High [what they now call middle school]. The ribbon, and replacing the ribbon on a typewriter like this made your hands messy?!! Then, there were those 'special' ribbons that had black on top and red on bottom ---mine did, and there is this little tiny switch on the writer that I could switch from black text to red text with the flip of my finger....what a marvel, huh? I tried to work with it the other day, and I must 'fess up....pressing down the keys was something quite comical...How did we do it back then? The keyboards of today are so much easier. LOL Oh, then, thinking about the modern miracle inventions of today comparing them with yesteryear's --the cameras back then? And film...remember film? The different sizes of film back then, still boggles my mind. How many times did YOU pick up and buy the wrong sized film? I know I did...often. And then, waiting for the film to be developed? Remember how long that took? Days...but most often you'd take in the film for processing and it would take over a week before you could pick them up; developed. You had no choice to preview them as you do today on our digitals...so, sometimes your 12-24 rolls of film had 5 or 6 good quality photos ---but you still had to pay for those entire roll developments; blurry, wrong poses or half cut-off faces? LOL --- My first camera, believe it or not was a brownie. But it was a shade more modern than what Bud had...we still have Bud's Brownie Camera...it was called a box camera. I have absolutely no idea how to operate the thing...but again, I confess...I LOVE my digital abilities of looking through the viewfinder, taking a picture, scrolling through the images, and looking/deleting on choice. If you want hard copies, you can use your own 'developing system' by using a printer and glossy photo paper...or take the camera's media card into a store and use their computers/photo processing while viewing your images in real time and editing/cropping/highlighting/contrasting/color enhancing...etc. etc. "What'll they think of next?"

Now, you ask, why is Anni going on and on about kitchen gadgets and such? Well, the other day, my salad dressing I was making needed the juice of one lemon...I could not find my glass ANTIQUE juicer. No where to be found. I musta moved it when rearranging cupboards and put it somewhere where it wouldn't get broken. Well, it couldn't get found either. So, I learned a new trick I thought I'd pass along. I'm sure y'all have mixers. Either a hand held one or one for the countertop. The point is, you can use one of the mixers 'blades'...just hold it in one hand, the cut lemon in the other...stick the mixer blade into the fruit, twist your wrist and voila...you have your juice. Simple....making me think, who needs the glass juicer anyway? Of course, there is ANOTHER convenience - you can purchase lemon juice already squeezed; in a bottle! "What'll they think of next?"


68 comments :

  1. I love the pictures you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Denise. Your loyalty is always so very appreciative.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful picture of a sunrise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juanna...I liked your photo effect image this morning also.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I loved reading about the conveniences too. I have to agree with you about the dishwasher. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dishwasher. I don't think I'd know how to actually wash dishes. [kidding of course but I wouldn't like having to do that chore by hand any more] Loved your plantation post today.

      Delete
  4. Creative thinking ~ macro photos are great ~ lovely images ~namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) linked with Macro Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I enjoyed your company today. And, loved your lone rose image you shared on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I remembered all of those things you mentioned...I used my glass juicer just the other day! My first camera was a brownie also - I found a photo just the other day - of my class - that I took with that brownie! What fun! However, since I remembered all of those things, am I now officially old????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess you and I are what they call 'old farts'....well, at least our husbands are, we're just along for the ride. Speaking of rides, loved your murals. Couldn't find anything that was hidden tho.

      Delete
  6. Lovely morning Dew pictures.
    Oh yes I remember taking typing. I had an extra hour to fill so typing seemed like a logical course. I was the only one in my circle of friends; however, come term paper time that year I was very popular.
    LOL
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet Madi....you are not only beautiful, but you can type too!! Love your Mom's share of you today on top of the precipice.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Maybe pretty pics, but I still want some of your cookies!!!

      Delete
  8. You actually needed finger strength and used calories to type on an old manual typewriter. That's what I learned on, too, and once long ago I tried to use it again... my fingers just wouldn't depress the keys! So yes, I know just what you mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, yep....my fingers didn't make it all the way down either.

      Delete
  9. You got me I can't think of any for now but I know for sure they are always one step ahead of us. I just saw one advertisement a tablet and a phone in one, lol!! And then a 3d tv, we haven't had a flat screen yet, no blue ray and now they are on 3d, very fast can't keep up ^_^

    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about trying to keep up with all the newly designed stuff. It's fruitless.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos. I remember the typewriter for sure. My 13 year old son wants an old typewriter like that. We have been looking at Good will. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....and know your grandmother is in my thoughts.

      Delete
  11. You live in a wonderful landscape. Greetings from Germany...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty here most times. Right now it's thick with fog. But I love fog. LOL

      Enjoyed my visit with you today and all your delightful yellows!!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful sunrise!! That "kiss of dew" on flowers adds that special effect to a photo. I love antique kitchen things--I still use some of the "old time gadgets" myself and find them to be just as quick and easy as the new gadgets! Have a great week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if it works and isn't broken, don't fix it. I say use the old and forget the new fangled job-a-doos!!

      Loved your flower post today.

      Delete
  13. such a beauty!

    visiting from MYM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVED your post today with all the rubber duckies!!!

      Delete
  14. All beautiful pictures ! I am preparing my suitcase, I am leaving for the South of France tomorrow for a week ! escaping the bad weather !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. G....enjoy your trip. And as you know, I loved Rosie's pic share today.

      Delete
  15. I do believe that sunrises and sunsets are among God's most beautiful handiwork ... especially at the beach. In 4 weeks from this morning, I will be on the beach, capturing a sunrise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you lived closer to me ...or I to you, so I could watch you quilt.

      Delete
  16. I hadn't even noticed that "morning" wasn't spelled right until you mentioned it! lol

    I still have my mom's old meat grinder, it's in a box in the pantry. I remember her using it to make the hamburg that went into her meat pies:-) I also remember her using a juicer. I've bought a couple of the glass ones at the auction. At school I learned how to type with a manual typewriter and was thrilled when I got one (it was blue) for Christmas one year. Mine also had the black and red ribbon that I would have to change. Then along came the electric typewriters...they were so sensitive, I hated them! lol And oh yes, film. How many times I'd get my pictures developed and half the pictures were no good. You've brought back so many memories with this post:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post today...as I did your on how Jumbo the Elephant is immortalized now, in St. Thomas.

      Delete
  17. 1st - like your pink macro!
    2nd - When I went to secretary college in the mid 70s we still only had one electric typewriter in the classroom which we took turns on! I first learned on an old one of my dad's when I was around 13 though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it DawnTreader.

      Delete
  18. I remember all of these things, Anni. I was just telling the girls about having to get up to change T.V. channels, no remotes. They could not believe me and thought I was kidding! And the old meat grinders, that you had to put on the edge of the table, then turn, so many parts to disassemble then wash! I saw people still using them on T.V. the other day. It was a cooking contest and they were making sausage. I still have my mom's old beloved typewriter, I used one as a teenager, too. And I just heard that wall phones are going to completely disappear. Your emergency juicer is s CLEVER idea, I never would have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...how does that saying go? --- the mother of invention? Oh heck, I can't think of it now. And, I know that is not how it goes? LOLOL

      Delete
  19. Love the Sunrise at Whitecap Beach! About the nasty word verification (I wholeheartedly agree it's a pain): I have one blog "with" and another blog "without" to see what works better for ME.
    But I also have COMPLAINED to Blogger Help, because they're the ones who put it on!!!
    It's THEIR job to keep things safe as well as comfortable for their bloggers. My considerations to put it on, are that my blog once was hacked, and I've had some idiotic comments, and people who openly wanted to take advantage of my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice shots, especially I like the scene in the last one.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatjana....I enjoyed your images today of 'phone mania'

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment....your snow photos were great too.

      Delete
  22. The beach scene is just lovely. I really wish I lived closer to a beach when I see such beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, and I really got a jolly time out of watching your images and all the happy ducks.

      Delete
  23. So beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting!!! Come back anytime, I enjoy your company.

      Delete
  24. so much beauty here!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my but how you've taken me back today. We had a wringer washer when I was small. At about age five my Mom went to get the phone (a big black monster) and decided I could keep putting the clothes through the wringer - caught my hand.
    I still have my manual typewriter that I typed most of my high school and college papers on. I HATED changing those ribbons!
    Just recently my Mom gave me her Brownie camera that took the pictures that recorded our lives. It's something I'll always treasure.
    Hope you've had a great day! Thanks for the memories and for stopping by my place today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. the petals almost looks like a butterfly wing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous image of the petal!

    Happy MM Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like the flower petal photo... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you are planning to renovate your kitchen or starting a new home, try using granite for your kitchen sink. There are a few good reasons to use granite as a kitchen countertops. These benefits are basically more about durability and aesthetic value.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Always love your post, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perfect shots! Beautiful sunrise..

    Visiting from MYM- hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2012/02/fruity-candy.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful sunrise, love it :-) Visiting from MYM, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/02/chuck-e-cheese-air-walker-three3-feet-balloon.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love how the light is captured in the morning dew, so beautiful, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you did, or if you're trying to spam me...but your 10 comments left; all identical were all deleted but one.

      Delete
  34. i am really loving it.....

    ReplyDelete
  35. thank you so much for such a beautiful idea....

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love these beautifull pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  37. i love this blog especially the amazing colours.....

    ReplyDelete
  38. thank you so much for sharing this blog.....

    ReplyDelete

.