“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Under the sea... by proxy *Texas State Aquarium Part I ---

From the west side of town, take the Crosstown Freeway, head into the city and exit on I-37 to the Bayfront and take the Portland Texas exit highway 281. Cross the Harbor Bridge and then take the beach exit [toward the USS Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium]. Once parked you walk up a small incline to outdoor fountains and the Ships' Channel to your right ---your entry to the Aquarium is by going under the waterfall [part of it is outdoors, and if the winds are coming in off the sea, you may just get sprayed, while most of it is through a see-through 'tunnel' of water falling overhead]....



After paying your entry fee at the door, you are then transferred to everything under the sea [with a little bit of outdoor activities like the Dolphin Bay and the Bird Sanctuary] --but indoors, the two story building takes you on an underwater adventure of the mystic, the mysterious, the wonderment of oceans and the tropics---









There are a couple of exhibits that are 'hands on' exhibits. By this, I mean that the tanks are open, and very shallow --the sea shells exhibit and in the underground floor, there is a sting ray exhibit that you can touch them. We didn't stop at the sting ray exhibit this time 'round 'cause there was a bus load of children on a school's field trip ---the place was surrounded by 12 year olds waiting to get a chance to touch the rays...I did, however, have the privilege of touching one of the rays the last time we were there, and the silky, smooth, soft skin was a surprise. If you've ever touched a dolphin, you'd know what a sting ray feels like!!





Also, I don't want to leave out the fact that there are lots of stops along the way for the videos of such creatures that you can listen to, along with a whole bunch of tropical and Texas reptiles...snakes lizards and turtles for some. But, in all honesty, they're not my 'cup of tea'...I'd much prefer the sea creatures and the dolphins and birds. LOL



In a few days, I will post the rest of the photos I took at the aquarium...the dolphin 'show' [there are two levels during the show...you can watch from underneath the water through glass along with a webcam set up so you can see what's taking place above water] Or...you can sit close by outdoors, at the tank ["Dolphin Bay"] and watch the show from topside; much like Shamu the Orca Killer Whale show at the Sea Worlds around the country. Also, outdoors, they have the viewing scopes along the pathway so anyone wanting to do so, can look through them out across the Gulf---fountains that are all aquatic-themed, turtle ponds, frog ponds, eagles and hawks.


But, I must say, be forewarned, if ever in this neck of the woods, to visit the Aquarium, expect to pay big. Adults $16.95 per person and children $11.95 per child [ages 3-12] Free to children under 3. Parking is $5.

Part II of the Aquarium will be my Camera Critters Post on Saturday.



- - -

HODGEPODGE


1. The NFL playoffs were held this past weekend and this year's Superbowl lineup will feature The New York Giants versus The New England Patriots. How do you define 'patriot'? T0M Br@dy...bah!!! He's not a Patriot in any sense other than his own ego. There, that's said, now I feel better. As for defining the word 'patriot' for myself, it's military -- one who is willing to give their life for their country. Nothing less, nothing more.

2. What's something in your life right now that feels like a 'giant'? Manning. NO? Okay...back to the drawing board then....A giant. My goodness...I have a whopper of a cold right now, so maybe the giant in my case would be giant pressure in the sinuses and respiratory tract. :::cough:::

3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think back to being 18? I had already graduated high school...so -My job, boys, cars, partying ...stuff like that.

4. Coconut-mashed potatoes-vanilla ice cream-mayonnaise...which white food would be the hardest to give up? I don't 'do' coconut, ice cream, or very seldom, mayonnaise...so guess what? IT'D DEFINITELY BE MASHED POTATOES!! Cream gravy, brown gravy, butter or garlic...you name it, mashed potatoes is one thing I could eat my weight in!! Oh, and by the way...for the icy confection, I eat only fat free frozen yogurt.

5. Describe an incident or a day you remember as the coldest you've ever experienced? Well, it'd have to be the last winter in Colorado. January to be exact. We had put our house on the market, signed a contract...and had movers lined up to help us relocate to sunny, dry, Arizona. I was worried sick about driving over Raton Pass on the icy slick interstate. Ohhhhhhhhhh, and thinking about it all, another 'incident' was just before we got ready to move to the desert ---Bud and I flew into Tucson from Denver to buy a house there ---again, snowy, icy, blizzard conditions at Stapleton Airport in Denver ---sitting on board the jet, readying for take off and the runways, icy, heavy snowfall and still 'dark o'thirty in the morning ---watching out the window as they 'deiced' the plane's wings. Scary!! Real scary thoughts running through my mind at the time. I was never so relieved to be up above the storm clouds and away from the Rocky Mountains. Another incident with Colorado's snows and the mountains was when I was flying back to Colorado from Las Vegas with my brother at the helm...his private plane. The instrument panel went haywire, talk about praying!!!!

6. You're hosting a brunch...what's your favorite dish to prepare and serve? I'm retired; no more parties would I host...it would be making out invitations to meet in the conference room at O K Corral Restaurant on Sunday at 10:30 a.m......my treat!!

7. How do you combat negative thinking? Easy...just stop thinking... negatively.

8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm glad, and sad, to read that Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords [D. Ariz] is resigning her seat in Congress...glad, for the fact, for us as 'her' citizens and for herself and family... that her LIFE is more important right now. She's made a remarkable recovery, and concentrating on a 100% return to a 'normal' life is big with me. I hope she and her husband can become whole again. Sad, just to see her go. I hope someday her promise to return will be our reward in loving her for her courage, strengths, and working for the people.



Image courtesy of
Google Search Engine and B0ST0N dot C0M






connected to: Watery Wednesday, Outdoor Wednesday and Hodgepodge
[all linked with buttons on top of blog]

37 comments :

  1. Dear Anni ~~ Loved the photos from the aquarium - thank you for showing us.
    Thank you so much for your message on my recovery. I am doing well, but want to get stronger yet so am going to physio and doing my exercises.
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement my friend.Love and Hugs, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{Merle}}}!!!! You don't know how please I am to see you stop by for a visit. Girlfriend?------you had us ALL quite concerned. Get plenty of rest, and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That aquarium looks like a great place to visit!
    I agree with you on Gabrielle Gifford - both sad and glad and you described it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great under water shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely pictures! I can only imagine who tranquil and peaceful it could be to visit there. Watching these sea creatures immersed in their would could be so therapeutic. Nicely done! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photos! Everywhere we travel, if there is an aquarium, we visit...I particularly love the one at Inner Harbor in Baltimore, MD. This one looks like it would be a wonderful place to visit, if I ever got out there...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Anni
    I love aquariums!! Best to see jelly fish there than on your beaches.

    I 100% agree with your answer to question 6!! O K Corral!!
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some awesome under-water photos there! Might cost a bit but then so does (I imagine!) scuba diving... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is pricey, but I'll bet you get your money's worth, out of that Aquarium!

    -chuckle- What's a Patriot? What's a Giant? You could move on, and ask what's a SUPER Bowl? -giggles-

    And in baseball, one could ask, What's a WORLD Series?

    I don't much get into any of this. I just like *our* NY Giants and Eli. And I also wanted the so-called-Super-Bowl to be between these 2 NE teams. Purely selfish, I know.

    I will not be glued to the tv though.

    One thing I do NOT, NOT, NOT intend to watch, is madonna's half time show. Sorry if anyone here likes her but... My opinion is -ugh- -ugh- -ugh- Pack it in Old Lady. Go take your latest "Boy Toy" and your millions and retire somewhere.

    -evil grin-

    We are born with whirlwinds, forest fires, and comets inside us. We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get the magic educated right out of our souls.
    ~~Robert R. McCammon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Auntie....LOL on your Madonna opinion. You go girl! But, I for one, don't mind her as I do some others. To each his/her own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww - Tom Brady was an underdog. He wasn't a top draft pick and waited for his chance to play as a back up..I like that he was a nobody and had to work his way to become somebody.
    Anyway, go Patriots..lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great aquarium shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. aquariom is good. You can get great under water shot without diving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lived in Denver when I went to college. I can imagine the shock of leaving Denver in freezing conditions, and stepping off the plain into Tuscon's balmy weather.
    I am so proud of Gabby Giffords--her courage and strength. Loved your aquarium pics. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Anni, I always enjoy going to aquariums and have never been to the Texas State one. I did go to a great sea life aquarium while in Alaska over the summer. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a message, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have an aquarium here but I never go. I don't like them...just like I don't care for zoos. I just think we need to leave wild animals in their natural habitats. Not something that anyone else around here believes--God forbid they leave as much as a tree standing.

    You've been in some majorly cold situations! I've only been really cold a couple of times- in Cleveland one year it was really cold!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I would not like to be in a plane even in good weather so you doing it in bad weather makes my blood freeze! Great photos of the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that you are feeling better.
    I love the photos,I would love to have a chance to visit there.
    I agree with you on TB. Go Eli
    I also agree about Gabby and that she will someday return.She has been through so much and I am sure she needs this time to heal and be with family.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pictures, and I take it that you're a football fan. It's good to come to the game with some emotion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic captures from the aquarium, Anni! Wonderful post as always! I do so agree about Gabby! What an amazing woman she is and I think she's doing the best thing for herself and her family! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've driven many a time over Raton Pass, when we'd come home for a visit from Flagstaff. Since Flag gets quite a bit of cold and snow...over 3 ft. Christmas day the year before we moved back...we're used to it, but still don't like it after Christmas! Believe it or not, we lived in AZ for 15 years and never made it down to Tucson.
    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you feel better soon.. Great answer to #8. Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Gabrielle Giffords resigning reminds us that while a career is important it is not THE most important thing in life. Life is about the people you love and I pray she is restored to full health once more. I admire the way she has been gracious and not spewed venom at her obviously disturbed attacker, nor has she allowed her very painful and real tragedy to be dragged down to the level of something for political gain. I wish her well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. very nice posts...and lovely photos too..me and my blogs are following and joining you now..

    See The World
    Travel Euroasia
    Europe Travel Pad
    Countryside Trip
    Travel Snapshots

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't tell you how mad I am at myself because I keep saying I am going to go to this aquarium and have yet to make it. Your pic's are fab and makes me want to go even more.
    Maybe sometime in March I can find the time.
    We are getting pounding with rain yesterday and today. A small tornado tore up a small area in our town. Thank goodness nothing worse but we have more coming in tonight.
    Hope your safe
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anni, I love aquariums, especially the ones that are underground where you feel up close and personal with all the creatures of the sea. Beautiful photos.

    Hope you and Bud are well. If you have a minute, stop by the Writing Nook for a visit.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. congresswoman giffords...an amazing recovery...wishing the best for her

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am SO FAR behind in my visits. Am sewing and embroidering 6 valentines for a swap and it is really taking the time. Tonite I just had to put them down and hit the computer keys. Bud and I love aquariums and visit them whenever we can. Your photos taken inside are really good. Mine have not turned out as clearly as yours. You eally did a fine job putting the series together. genie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful under water shots!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love everything about your post! reminds me to dig my archive and post about underwater world. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. The underwater creatures thru the glass is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. -waving hands-

    I can not comment on your latest post!

    What's going on?

    -sigh-

    "Deep within the winter forest,
    among the snowdrifts wide,
    you can find a magic place
    where all the fairies hide..."

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love visiting aquariums and wish we had one nearby. As it is, I have to drive all the way to either Toronto or Niagara Falls to see one. Your pictures turned out beautifully, Anni. I could watch fish swimming back and forth all day long, they mesmerize me! lol It must have been so awesome to be able to touch a stingray the previous time you were there. All these places are getting so expensive to go in now, though, it's ridiculous.

    Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. I had heard on the news about Gabrielle Giffords resigning her seat in Congress. I think she's right to concentrate on getting 100% better before getting back into the political aspect of her life. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. That sounds like so much fun! I love your shots of the jellyfish...so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. colorful fish and jelly fish, so awesome to see.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great series of photos to illustrate your account of your visit!

    ReplyDelete

.