my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Gifts & Critters -'Twas the month after Christmas...

Critters...Bud gave me a most beautiful jewelry set. It's almost Egyptian-like if you want my opinion. Doves...a bracelet, earrings, and necklace.


If you've seen the Johnny Depp movie of Alice in Wonderland, and you like the character Queen of Hearts as I do [Played by Helena Bonham Carter], you'll know that in the script she states "Pig Here!!" when she expects her subjects to bring her a foot stool...well, when I put my feet up on the coffee table, I've been known to chant the very same...I actually got a PIG pillow. Now when I say "Pig Here"...out comes the soft, fluffy pig.


Also, another Jim Shore figurine of his 'woody' creations!!! This one is Santa/Snowman [naturally] and it has his sleigh and reindeer 'carved' into the body!!



The other three gifts under the tree were, the DVD of the movie, ATLAS SHRUGGED [which didn't come to our theaters], the banned book from long ago that is in reprint now -FOREVER AMBER, and a mini, seaworthy, Santa for my ever growing collection [also by Jim Shore].





WEEKEND FUNNIES


Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).

I'd remember the marvellous meals I'd prepared; The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese And the way I'd never said, 'No thank you, please.'

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt And prepared once again to do battle with dirt - I said to myself, as I only can 'You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!'

So - away with the last of the sour cream dip, Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished 'Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie - not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie, I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!



Linked to: Camera Critters [connecting button on top of blog page]
Poem Satire sent to me thru email [not composed by me]

21 comments :

  1. That poem is a riot..I love your gifts, so cool! I love the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madi and Mom....per your comment you left for me yesterday, Bud had found the acorn...but I still went and opened the magazine to page 96 and read the info provided. I will go and fill out the needed stuff to enter. Thanks tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santa was very good to you!

    Great poem... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to get through the holidays without gaining anything, but I think it had more to do with grief over the stolen purse and all the running around. But now that it's January, I'm grateful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute post. I had the same experience the other day when I put on a pair of jeans and they were a little harder to button than usual. I have a bad habit of wearing something that will stretch for family dinners during the holidays. Now, it'll take us 2 months to get back in those clothes. Returning the favor. Thanks for stopping by and joining the blog hop. Have a blessed weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pig and your poem. I must admit I should be doing the same diet thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice gifts! I love those Jim Shore Santa's. The poem is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's indeed a beautiful jewelry set ! I have visited Alice's home and the little shop where she used to buy her sweets in Oxford, but I haven't seen a movie with Johnny Depp (I think you know my taste, lol)
    My jeans seem to have shrinked a bit over the festivities, I hope with the next washing they get back to normal (hehe) !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, love that pig pillow!!! -giggles-

    As to the after holidays weight gain, even Susan Branch is on a diet!!!!!! Wow hu? -more giggles-

    "Winter came down to our home one night/
    Quietly pirouetting in on silvery-toed slippers of snow..."
    ~Bill Morgan Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Das sind sehr schöne Fotos liebe Anni.

    Herzlichst ♥ Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovin' the poem - rings like a holiday ritual following fun! Beautiful necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful jewellery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So stealing that poem and blogging it ~ LOL LOL
    GREAT post and you really had a fantastic Christmas... nice gifts!
    Have fun
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for stopping by and following me. I came over and followed right back. Love the color purple!! It is calming, don't you think? It reminds me of Lavender and that is what Lavender does. I even have a Lavender tea that I drink from time to time to feel calm. Have a great weekend.

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I need a warm pig belly for my feet" I loved that line in the movie and say it to my dog every night as I watch TV. He'll sit there for a minute while I rub his belly with my feet and then walk out. Never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful gifts! I love the poem.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Anni, that jewelry set is stunning, I've never seen anything like it! Love the pig pillow as well! lol You really did get some wonderful gifts for Christmas and I've always admired the Jim Shore figurines, in fact I have a couple of Tinkerbell ones:-)

    I had to giggle at that poem, it's soooo true! With everything I ate during the holidays, I'm lucky I only gained back 2 pounds from the 27 I had lost but now it's back to being careful:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you had a great Christmas. I love those doves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are gorgeous Anni.

    Butterflies. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni, I'm running behind on my Camera Critter visits. I got a real giggle out of the pig, every time I put my feet up I will think of that furry fellow.

    You got some very cool gifts. I love the earrings. I had forgotten about Forever Amber, I read it years ago. I'll have to look for the reprint.

    ReplyDelete

.