...from a distance


    "Steadfast, serene, immovable, the same,
    Year after year, through all the silent night
    Burns on forevermore that quenchless flame,
    Shines on that inextinguishable light!"

                ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

A few months ago, I had posted about the nearest lighthouse that we have in our area. It's located close to a town called Aransas Pass, Texas [just north of the ships' channel and auto ferry from Port Aransas]. I had posted along with my blog for that day, a photo. This is the photo I posted, seeing it from the restaurant, with the 'naked eye' --- [look between the yachts and the restaurant's boardwalk--out toward the horizon] Promising that the next time I got back to that area, I would make sure I had my GOOD digital with the 24x power zoom lens, and get to a place with a more qualified area for photographing it. Well, when we went birding a couple weeks ago, I made a special 'side trip' to a coastal restaurant area/parking lot just a distance from the kayaking establishment and the Port "A" Marina. In the parking lot, you are not to park there unless you're going to be dining...a towing enforcement is posted all over the place. Being that it was early in the morning, I pulled in, parked, and walked the boardwalk along the marina and restaurant---to head to the backside of the restaurant, and get an unobstructed view. Looking across the channel, I zoomed in on the lighthouse [It's active, but, privately owned and the only way you can actually get a 'more detailed' glimpse of it - is by tour boat. By active I mean the light in the lighthouse still 'guides' the large cargo ships...of course, with computers aboard ships, they really don't need its guidance, but it's still very nostalgic]. To give you an idea where I was when photographing the lighthouse, I took the liberty of borrowing a Google Satellite image and marked it with an "X"...'I am here' ----



By the way, the original light, is housed in a small maritime museum in the Port side of the town---only open on weekends from 1-5 pm. I have yet to be there when it's opened. I'd like to go through it sometime.

Anyway, here is the zoomed-in image that I've been wanting to capture all along---






From Texas State Lighthouse - Lydia Ann info


Connected to: Watery Wednesday, Outdoor Wednesday [linked buttons at BOTTOM of blog]


HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW
The Lighthouse
Quoted on blog - 9th stanza.


- - -


HODGEPODGE



1. It's that most wonderful time of the year...tax season! Do you complete your own returns or farm that job out to the professionals?
You'd think it'd be easy when retired, right? Well, it isn't really. So, it's 1/2 and 1/2 ---I do the first part and then send it off to have it completed by professionals.

2. This next question comes from Kansas Bob...he posted it in his response to something I asked in an earlier Wednesday post and I asked him if I could add it to the Hodgepodge some day. Today's the day....
Which do you think has changed you more-love or pain?
Mentally, it'd be love ---and seeing all the body scars from operations....physically, pain.

3. Tangerine Tango has been named color of the year for 2012. Your thoughts? Would I find this color anywhere in your house? How about in your closet? If not, will you be adding this color to your life in some way in 2012?
I do not like orange for my clothing, sam I am...I would not wear it here or there, I would not wear it anywhere!! The only time "tangerine tango" would be pretty would be if it were a color of the sunset!!!

4. Are you a collector? What do you collect and does it get admired, used, and/or dusted regularly?
LOL...am I a collector? LOL....ya, I am. I collect fat cells mostly. But, I'm known nation wide [well on 2nd thought -world wide; being that I blog] to collect Santas. That is my largest collection of over 200. Then, sea shells, ruby glass, blown glass dolphins, cobalt glass, cardinals. So, ya, I think I'm a collector. Oh, and dusting? What's that?

5. February is National Heart Month...besides a green salad what is one tasty heart healthy dish you like to prepare? With my heart condition, I've learned a lot about heart healthy foods - mainly working on cutting down cholesterol ---Grilled Salmon, oatmeal, guacamole, and tons of salads [I try to eat almonds often also, but no preparation to that]. But, I love cheese...any dish with cheese is a no no I know, but you know I know that I know you know....cheese is a no no. A good fat extra large bean burrito covered heavily in cheese right now would be great?!!! Ummmmmm...*ahem* See what I mean about collecting fat cells?

6. When was the last time you had car trouble?
THERE IS NO WAY I'M ANSWERING THIS....and jinx it? Nope, nope, not gonna do it.

7. Have you been more demanding on yourself lately or less? Is that a good trend?
I think the last time I was 'demanding' on myself is when I let others walk all over me....that was before I retired and my parents were still alive. It was work, children, husband, invalid parents and school, kids, home, work....oh so much and so little time. I just stomped my foot down, and told everyone to 'work it out yourselves'. After that, I learned to stop trying to be everyone's helper [at least 24/7] and less demanding on my own psyche....and lowering my blood pressure by nearly half, so yes, this is a GOOD trend.

8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm just so proud!! If you follow my blog any, you have heard bits and pieces of Irene's tumultuous and turbulent marriage that ended in divorce and Dan's [ex husband and grandson's father] passing away this past summer. Anyway, after divorcing, Irene was determined to study, and get a degree in Religious Counseling so she could help others like those who helped her recover. I KNEW she could DO THIS!! SUMMA CUM LAUDE!! [pride taking over here...that means brilliant gal...roflmao] And since graduating with this degree, she has now begun reestablishing her status - working on her 2nd degree; a Master's degree. And as at the beginning of this post - Longfellow's words: Burns on forevermore that quenchless flame, Shines on that inextinguishable light! - Irene is the light of my life when she accomplishes her goals and travels further to her distant dream.



33 comments :

  1. I can't believe I'm first!

    I really love lighthouses - beautiful picture of this one. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket!

    Congratulations to Irene - that is wonderful. What does she hope to do with these degrees? Good things ahead for her and her boys, for sure.

    Have a great evening! Sounds like you're having lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're not coughing any longer!!! Loving the angle and look of your lighthouse photo, finally! I can and will collect ANYTHING!!! You and me both!!! I love the Longfellow quote and it fits in so well with this post! Being a newer follower, I'm still confused as to who Irene is, but good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, uber-congratulations to Irene! That is quite an accomplishment, and I'm sure she will help many in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 79 degrees...are you kidding me??? Geez, here I am with 28 degrees! LOL So glad to hear that your cough is practically all gone, let's hope it stays that way!!

    Wow, that picture of the lighthouse really turned out well considering you had to zoom in quite a bit. I love lighthouses and learning the history behind them.

    You collect Santas? Really? hehe I know that a lot of people say collections are just dust collectors but I don't care, I love collecting stuff too:-)

    WOOHOOOOO, way to go Irene! I am just so thrilled for her, wishing her the very best in her future endeavors!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lighthouses and that one is a beauty. Thanks for taking the time to find a place to get a shot of this one Anni.

    Congrats to Irene, that is a major accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! I love your pictures and the zoomed up lighthouse came up so well. Wow! What sort of camera do you use Anni?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shot, Anni. I suspect that there are a lot of busy ports in Texas especially Galveston, so lighthouses are essential at least for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good photo! I love the lighthouse (fyrlykt)
    Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you didn't get a ticket for your efforts to get this gorgeous shot! And congratulations to your Irene! Enjoy the warm weather - we have been reveling in it in sunny Florida for nearly 2 weeks, heading home to Virginia (of the not-so-sunny-days)tomorrow evening. While I am looking forward to being home, I hate to leave the sun, and my mom. Have a great day Anni, you always delight me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lighthouses are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Anni ~~ Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am so glad to be home but am taking
    it very slowly as you suggested. Slow and steady wins the race. Take care my friend. Love and Hugs, Merle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Irene! that is some accomplishment and she should be so proud of herself!

    Hope your having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WELL DONE IRENE!!! We are so proud of you!!

    Oh my word you were some distance from the lighthouse that must be some good zoom!! I love light houses!!

    Tangerine Tango...I love orange but never really thought it complimented my complexion and hair (brown and natural red highlights). Now that I'm gracefully graying maybe I should try it.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on #8!!!! Your pride rings out loud and clear....as it should!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! Very nice and intersting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel ya. I eat a lot of cheese and cook with it too. Hubs says I put too much cheese on things...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheese is one of my favorite foods and I cannot give it up altogether. I aim for moderation : )

    Congratulations to Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am fascinated by light houses, and I want to climb those steep stairs again!

    Thanks for the tour, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, Irene! How wonderful for her!

    I loved your answers--they kept me smiling. And I really like the quote on your blog about love looking in the same direction. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations to Irene! That is a huge accomplishement. You have every right to be proud of her.

    I adore ruby and colbalt glass, I think that if I ever start collecting something it will be glass of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the name of the lighthouse. Even if the exact "why" of the name, is not settled on. :-)

    "Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading,
    to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."

    - Maya Angelou

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great lighthouse! I love lighthouses and have visited many from around the World! But I haven't been to the Texas coast....yet!

    Hope you stop by for a visit to my blog, Anni.

    Debbie's Travels

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're funny! I love cheese too, but am learning to limit it. Congratulations to your Irene! What an accomplishment. I like that she went for a degree that she can use because she's experienced pain and wants to help others through their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved getting to see the close up of the lighthouse, and I especially enjoyed reading about your friend, Irene. You are never too old to learn. I do a bit of it every day even though not in a university classroom...I do in my cellblock here at school. A day does not go by that a child doesn’t teach me something new. Take care..genie

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous place. 3 rivers and the ocean. :) What more can one ask for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the lighthouse! Such a beautiful picture. Congrats to Irene! What an accomplishment! We are having beautiful weather too...gotta love it. Have a good day! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love lighthouses too, and you went to great lengths to get such a good photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. One dream that I like to do is to go around Michigan and take all the lighthouses here. They said we have more than a 100 lighthouses that would be cool if I took them all and put it in a book. Something in a lighthouse that I find mystical. And to know stories behind each one of them is a bonus. ^_^

    Watery Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really love lighthouses, great shot!

    And thanks for stopping by!

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous shot of the lighthouse.
    I love lighthouses.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day :O)
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anni, Enjoyed your post. I love lighthouses.

    Glad you are feeling better and not coughing.

    Give Irene my congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment. I wish her all the best in future endeavors.

    Drop over to the Writing Nook if you can. I have a book review and am wondering if you've read the book.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. We never have a lens that's strong enough, do we? Am always wanting a better camera when really just need to learn to use the one I have. :-) Your determination paid off--that lighthouse is a great capture. Glad you didn't get "enforced" in the taking!

    ReplyDelete

.