“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






If a tree falls in a swamp...do you hear it?



I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

         Joyce Kilmer 1886-1918




I could have spent days in this area. The deep crevices and dark sinister shadows abound. Still, it is just too beautiful, peaceful, and quiet for words. Living here for me? No...too many venomous snakes for my taste and sanity but, to piece it all together - several movies, music videos and other filming locales nearby are duly noted; the oscar winner "Monster's Ball" was filmed here...LaPlace Louisiana. About 25 to 30 miles west of New Orleans, on the east bank of the mighty Mississippi River. All backwoods and nearly untouched by the wrath and pollution of the human handiwork - pristine comes to mind. A distant train whistle can be heard eventually, but the bird song and the gentle lapping of the swamp current is about the only sound noted. The small village a distance up the highway, is renowned to be the "Andouille Capital of the World." Andouille is a spicy, coarse ground sausage. French in origin, of course. Anyway, our tour's Captain Allen took us through twists and turns as we all ventured back in time when population was near nil -- back to nature as it were. With the shadows cast on the wetland, it all became ghostly and threatening by the end of the over two and a half hour tour; with voodoo history and swamp curses, my imagination started to take 'hold. I've read and researched our trip beforehand --the swamps are reportedly haunted. I wasn't gonna stick 'round to find any truth to the fact....

As I stated on yesterday's post; I love the beauty of bald cypress and the ever-hanging Spanish Moss, and always dreamed of taking a trek through the Louisiana swamplands to see the stately trees up close and personal. Saturday's post was wildlife we saw while going down the hidden canals in the swamp. "Cajun Pride" LINK HERE. Tomorrow I will continue with a bit more of the Cajun wetlands, with an ancient burial ground and a hidden cabin on the banks of the swamp's canal.











SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

This week has been nothing but 'catch-up work'. Around the house, I finished decorating our tree[photo here] one day with Bud , and then part of the week, I started doing laundry and then the dryer started not drying the clothes...I would run it for the usual 45 minutes and when the alarm went off, I opened the door only to find damp clothes...did it another 45 minutes and still damp. Had to wait and get it fixed ---by then, I had twelve loads of wash from the couple of days before Thanksgiving and the vacation clothes and all of this week's. I started washing at 4:30 one morning and didn't get 'em all washed, dried, and folded and permanent press hung and put away 'til about 7 pm. I finished putting out a few Christmas decorations...got that finished as much as I'm going to do....wrapped and packaged the gifts for the two grandsons and our daughter. Will get that to the Post Office for shipping this coming week. Spent one morning shopping for a couple of small gifts for Bud, and bought myself one. LOL Another day, I finally got to the grocery store for much needed paper and food supply. While on our trip to New Orleans, I bought three books and have been skimming through them to help make up my mind which I will read first....one, a book on all the historical buildings in and around the French Quarter, one of Jean Lafitte for Bud and another non-fiction for myself --Intimate Enemies about a baroness of New Orleans [her father in law shot her 4 times to kill her and inherit her money -according to French Laws back then- but she survived and shortly thereafter, the FIL died]. She then went forward and had designed some buildings in the Old section of New Orleans [her father designed and constructed the Cathedral and two other buildings beside the church in downtown New Orleans back in the late 1700s.] I hope these books are worth the money. LOL Also, began working and resizing the over 200 photos I took on our trip. And as I resize them, I will share some here on my blog as I've been doing the last couple of days...and more days to follow. Oh, and besides buying me an early gift for myself while shopping for something for Bud, I also found the cutest soft sculpture Snowlady, I just had to bring it home. And of course, Bud's reaction was "And where are you gonna put that?"

38 comments :

  1. I love you, and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got my comment from the post before this one, I was very late in my commenting today. I want to see Snowlady! I, too, just bought a bunch of books. Going into a nice big bookstore is like Disneyland for me! Your photos are beautifully spooky. I wonder, is it very quiet?? Or do you hear birds and other things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are great - there is such an unusual beauty in the swamp. I'm with you on snakes though!
    Glad your dryer is fixed - what a pain!
    The books sound good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Die Fotos sind klasse !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shots you've got in there and really creepy haha! My imagination is starting to get wild just looking at these well-preserved swampy vegetations! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had to memorize that poem in grammar school and I'm glad we did.
    What a relief that you got out of the haunted swamp unscathed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful pics! i love the water reflections ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the poem...it's perfect for you picture! So enjoyed looking at the swamp with you - been to NOLA once & fell in love instantly with the architecture & city ~ you've made me want to head back down again! (of course to take a swamp tour too!!) Your tree is beautiful, hoping to get ours up this week...hoping to have time to go get it, more like it!!
    Do enjoy your week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those are really gorgeous photos! Sounds like you've been awfully busy, I got out of breath just reading about it :)
    Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting shots but not the sort of scenic I would want to visit!
    They are great to look at when enlarged!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very happy to watch your beautiful pics, trees are amazing, but I'd never put my foot on swamp over there - eeek!
    Have a stressless week ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a fan of snakes, either. But the hanging moss on the trees is totally cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem and I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos Anni ~ Glad you're having a great time!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cypress trees are just lovely, aren't they. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh what wonderful trees.....thank you for sharing your photos....
    PS.
    thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment over at my blog

    have a wonderful week

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super photos - very spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos! I like that Spanish moss too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are lovely ... so atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I visited a place similar to this a couple years ago. There are so many fascinating things to see and lots of great shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never thought I would say a swamp looks pretty, but it does!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photos and love Louisiana. Thanks for providing the entire Kilmer poem. I've heard the first two lines a million times, but rarely get to hear the rest. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your swamp tour. Looking forward to see Snowlady.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The word “venomous” would do me in. But I still believe I would like to visit. Simple because our swampy area is a lot different up here.
    I was wondering if anyone in area uses moss in there cooking. I've heard of people using moss like for a thickener

    As for yule decoration I just got up my snow flakes window clings. Started to put up the few cards.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anni...I love Joyce Kilmer...there is a Joyce Kilmer National Park in the NC mountains. We took several of the trails years ago...just beautiful!!

    Now I want to go to Cajun country. Your descriptions and pics are lovely. You've had a every busy few days...take a load off and rest now. Just got our tree up...as B said it is done for another year.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you're in the swamp when the tree falls, no. You have to be physically away from the swamp and visiting it only in your imagination to hear that cypress hit the water.

    EVERYWHERE SHADOWS

    Shadows above and shadows below,
    Shadows that blaze and shadows that glow;
    Shadows outside and shadows indoors,
    Shadows on trees and shadows on floors;
    Everywhere shadows calling my name,
    Everywhere shadows no one can tame.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Desert Shadows and Cemetery Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anii, I would love to see the cypress trees. And take this swamp tour. New Orleans looks like a fun place to visit. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the swamps. I spent years building pipelines in and around Lafayette, Lake Charles, and Beaumont, Texas. Lots of snakes, a few gators, millions of bugs, the scariest stuff I saw was some of fellow humans. I could tell some stories.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The trees ascend out of the swampy muck below, and span toward the sky. An abode for many critters from 'gators to crayfish. The mood seems tranquil, and I would be more a visitor than resident. It'd be the snakes as the deciding factor, too...

    ReplyDelete
  30. those are really nice photos of the cypress trees. I've never seen one up close and personal like you, but I love their look. I saw the movie Monster's Ball and thought it a really good one. Anyplace that's so off the beaten path must be extraordinary to see. Pristine - there aren't many spots left that can claim that. it seems you had a fabulous trip Anni. and your Xmas. tree is beautiful. I want to see Snowlady! happy week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a bit hard to imagine snakes etc living in the places you photographed - your pictures captured only the quiet serenity. If you ever come to Australia make sure you visit Kakadu National Park. You can take a wetlands tour there as well but of a completely different kind. I was fortunate enough in my youth to be a regular visitor before it became a National Park and tourist attraction and the roads etc became easier to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Anni girl ! I'm sure all the wild life in the swamp hear that tree fall and that is what counts eh ? LOL I got stuck on watching "Swamp People" on A&E .. it became addictive because it is so strange to us up in the north ? although Canada has ties with the French down there since our Acadians were forced to flee NS and NB to live a better life near the swamps .. lots of complicated history there .. great shot of the trees girl !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh sigh......... I sooooooooooooo want to do such, now. -moan- And I've never even managed to get to see ANY of the Old/Deep South. We'd love to but, are also "Olden." :-) But maybe...... :-)

    Oh please what is the name of the book about the lady whose FIL shot her 4 times but she survived, etc.??????????? Ohhhhhhhhh that sounds simply deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!!!!! -clapping hands-

    Loving your trip, which you are generously taking us along on. (Can you tell I'm loving it? Nahhhhh, hu? -grin-)

    I'll be honest and tell ya' that I don't always love blog entries about people's trips. Just pics of them, here and there..... Or just pics of places they ate.... Or lots and lots of big pics of animals-of-the-trip-area.... They can kind of leave me cold.

    But you have gone to an amazing area, and you are giving us lovely background, along with photos. -clapping hands- Lovin' it!!

    Gentle hugs,
    "Christmas was close at hand, in all his bluff and hearty honesty;
    it was the season of hospitality, merriment, and open-heartedness."

    ~~Charles Dickens

    ReplyDelete
  34. This e are gorgeous shots Anni.


    Late visiting from Shadow Shot Sunday. Hope you can still visit my shadow entry when you get a chance. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolute Perfection! Reminds me of my Home Stae of FL a lot!!!

    God Bless!!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for the camera info.
    I am going to check it out. May if I'm good (ha) santa will bring me one.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  37. This series reminds me back out west at Lake Okeechobee in FLorida where I grew up. Swamp land is beautiful, and your photos captured the essence of the area superbly. Some or the little waterways are so small where other are larger.There is a degree of darkness is areas where in others there is lots more light. I still have not figured out what the little animal in his CHristmas hat it...I will keep trying to figure it out. Hope I did not miss a clue in your writings.genie

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is quite an incredible swamp! Very inviting yet somewhat spooky too! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

.