“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Happy 236th Birthday!!!!

    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

                ~Eleanore Roosevelt


"Yes, I know the Marine Corps is part of the United States Navy....the MEN part!!!"

"OOrah"!!!

Before the song loads...a bit of Marine Corps Cadence---
    You can keep your Army khaki,
    You can keep your Navy blue.
    I have the world's best fighting man,
    To introduce to you.

    His uniform is different,
    The best you've ever seen.
    The German's called him "Devil Dog,"
    His real name is "Marine"

    He was born on Parris Island,
    The place where God forgot.
    The sand is eighteen inches deep,
    The sun is blazing hot.

    He gets up every morning,
    Before the rising sun.
    He'll run a hundred miles and more,
    Before the day is done.

    And when he gets to heaven,
    St. Peter he will tell,
    Another Marine reporting, sir,
    I've served my time in Hell.





NOVEMBER 10, 1875-NOVEMBER 10, 2011

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title



Of United States Marine.


Our flag's unfurled to every breeze



From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job --
The United States Marines.


Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy



Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded



By United States Marines.



[photo credits: Marine Corps sun catcher, mini USMC flag in my computer room/library, Bud's Navy Ship plaque = USS O'Hare [destroyer] *the back clear disc (the cross hair lines) is part of the ship's gyro compass equipment*, and Erik on Graduation parent's visitor's day nearly 20 years ago -the day before graduating and all the pomp and circumstance - from USMC Boot Camp...San Diego California.]

15 comments :

  1. Your son is a Marine??? Wow, that is so special, you must be very proud. Only a few even qualify!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. Love your posts. Beautiful composition there, wise usage of words.
    Cheers,
    Sush

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni, I didn't realize your son was in the Marines. You've got to be one very proud mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be one proud mama, wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post, You must be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni what a beautiful post...pictures.
    I stood up while it played. My B was in the Marine Reserves and trained at Paris Island.
    One time I called it Paradise Island NOT!!
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oorah! My family - brothers, cousins, uncles - all served in the United States Marine Corps. Happy birthday, Marines! Thanks for serving our country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice tribute! My stepson n his wife are former Marines!!! Just two weeks ago my stepdaughter participated in the Marine crop marathon in Washington DC...very popular event...30,000 runners and 100,000 viewers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice.....I learned that song years ago..don't know why but it stuck in my head and stayed there.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless the Marines for their selfless service to our country!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 236th Birthday to the Marine corps! I think for now I know one in marines and it's Erik ^_^ The photo of Erik reminds me when my brother graduated in the police academy in the Philippines he was very skinny and that was 15 years ago. I will pray for Erik, Anni, I am going to light a candle for this specific prayer and ask others to pray for him. God is good!! And God bless America! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great tribute, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the words to that song! Hard to believe that the Marine Corps have been going on for 236 years, imagine what they've seen and done in all those years!! I think it's fabulous that you're the mom of a Marine...thank you to Erik for all he has done.

    Heard on our news tonight that tomorrow it will be free to check out their entire military records on Ancestry.com so I'm hoping to get info on my 3 uncles that served in the Second World War. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. God Bless them all! What a beautiful post! The Erik in the bottom photo is your son mentioned on the sidebar? If so, you must be so proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your Post. I really like the poem at the top. The song and your photos are great. My favorite is the Ship Plaque.

    Happy Veteran's Day to Bud and Erik!! Thank You for your service, we don't do enough to show our appreciation.

    ReplyDelete

.