my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Poe, Shadows, a Good Sunday Summary 2day --------

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'





                   quote from Poe's "The Raven"
shadow shot of a resin "Nevermore" bust





SUNDAY SUMMARY


Well now, I'm happy to announce that my PDF project for the family's genealogy is complete. As of 10:50 A.M. Friday ---"uhhhhhm, Houston? We have landed"!! 337 pages!! And I even spent a morning, getting them all burned on a CD-R disc. I also designed book covers: front cover and a back cover - the front cover has a quotation from a family's Bible entry from 1816 while they were in Hessen Germany --in German [Altho, I translated it to English]. The Bible is now property of an Historical Society in Indiana. Finally, a project in the making for nearly two and a half decades is finished. I have tombstone photos from way back yonder with just about every generation in the USA [that's about 1720 up to the 1990s] - by that I mean, just the parents, grand parents, great grandparents, etc, etc, etc. Photos and documents/records. The only section with ALL children of each family; they're listed in the pedigree files. The book is just DIRECT BLOOD LINES...marriage records, birth certificates, obits, homesteading papers, Civil War discharge papers, wills, death records. Some newspaper clippings of 5-generation family reunions, Immigration ship logs with family names registered, family Bible quotes [one immigrating family coming to America from Switzerland, lost their mother/wife on the trip here over the Atlantic and she was buried at sea], naturalization papers. I have a story shared about an ancestor going to Nebraska in a covered wagon-wagon train. It's a huge conglomerate of goodies. It's done to the best of my ability. I was in contact with a volunteer just recently. He went to the graveyard for me, --------found a ggg Grandmother's tombstone [I had a photo of her husband's grave -this is the man born in Ireland]...her gravestone had been broken off by vandals, flipped over, and partially buried with time. Can you believe the kindness of this man I've never met?!!! I'm still whirling over what he did for me. He went back to his car [quite a ways from the graveyard to the country road I might add], got his tire iron and shovel from his trunk, hiked back into the cemetery and dug it loose to flip it over and photograph it for me! Wow. Also, again previously mentioned, that there was 'rumor' of being related to a signer of the Declaration of Independence....well, yes, Samuel Chase [his signature is just below the legendary John Hancock] ---but a very DISTANT cousin is nephew to Mr. Chase. Also, another distant relative died while crossing the Delaware River with George Washington. There is so much to tell about this project - I'm very proud of what I've accomplished in the last three months or so. Stay tuned, in a while, I'll share more files here. These two that follow are the front cover - and the back cover [they can be enlarged for reading clarity]. My book's title is INHERITED LINEAGE©:



31 comments :

  1. Perfect shadow shot for the season! I love it! Hope you have a great weekend, Anni! And congratulations on completing your family's genealogy! That's terrific! Enjoy your weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that you did this fab project. your family will forever treasure your hard work. I remember that as a child, we had a record of EA Poe works read by Vincent Price. The Raven was on it. The strangest one was Punch Brothers Punch! Happy SSS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome accomplishment!! what a treasure for the family to have!! hat's off to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/15/2011

    Anni girl I love your Halloween spirit and the raven quote from Poe is perfect !
    I was lucky enough to connect with a relative in Nova Scotia that traced my grandfather (father's side) from when they left Scotland to come to Canada .. late 1700's .. so they were here before Canada was Canada : )
    That gent was very kind to you indeed !!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great stories you have come across doing this genealogy, and that big favor the man did for you, and he didn't even know you! Now how did I miss the post below? Maybe you posted them both today? anyway, when I was a kid, I used to watch Art Linkletter's House Party, and always Kids Say The Darndest Things! These are funny! Does that rat really screech every once in a while? It would give me a big start each time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. spooky shot - I shall miss all the skulls in Mexico this year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How excellent is this book of lineage! The family of the past can be lost unless we have such a reference to look at and realize the wealth that our lineage gives us is fabulous...the raven looks a bit freaky upon the skull - but October 'tis such a season...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous, Anni, I'm so happy for you. What an amazing project, and what illustrious ancestors. Congratulations on completing your task. Now you can rest easy, which is not to say "do nothing" but to do whatever else you do without the genealogy project hanging over your head.
    Way to go!

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy raven and skull shadow ~ just perfect for this spooky season!

    I love the cute black (non-spooky) kitties in your header.

    And congratulations on completing a major genealogy project! What a ton of work that was! You should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, i missed you at picstory. next weeks topic is food :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, well done on the PDF!!! What a major accomplishment! My brother-in-law is currently going through a whole bunch of unearthed photos to drop into their great grand-father's autobiography. It's such a project I can't imagine the amount of time you've put into this document! I am in awe and bow to your wonderfulness!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Hallowe'en shadows and header!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful you have completed your family history. I did that on part of mine years ago. It is a lot of work and time. I enjoyed as I found out a lot of things I did not know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture and quote!Glad to know you finished such an ardorous, though enjoyable task.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing project and high five to you for having it completed! Sounds like a real treasure for your family! As God has blessed those who've gone before, may He continue to bless those who will follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is just an amazing accomplishment! I don't know how you even knew where or how to begin. What are you going to do with it now? I am so so impressed!!

    I've been MIA for the last week, just in brain, not in reality. But I haven't been around reading either. I finally got a new post up. I know I've missed a lot of good stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect shadow shot for October.
    You should be very proud, as I am sure you are, of the accomplishment of your book. Genelogy research is very time consuming and at times hard to trace. Your covers are wonderful. I tip my hat to you for this accomplishment. As for the gentleman that helped you, he will be rewarded for his help to you. Good deeds tend to come back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. eeek! That's a scary shot! :)
    Congratulations! What a huge work you've done, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Noticed that you changed your header. That is really interesting! You are so creative. I can see a witch with a broom flying too.

    I missed your caption contribution for the last few Mondays. See ya!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what an endeavor. Now are you going to have it published?
    I had to memorize Poe's House of Usher when I was a teen. I still remember some of it.
    Blessings,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni, I a VERY PROUD of you! You have totally blessed your family in a rare way; not all would have been able to finish that project. Way to go, my friend.

    God bless,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your shadow shot actually gave me a shiver down my spine!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Poe so I love this shadow shot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10/16/2011

    Hi Anni! :) I was sitting with my ipad this morning playing scrabble with Erlene and you suddenly came to mind. I wondered if you still had your blog, so tossed it in Google and it led me right here. Pretty cool! Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and let you know that you aren't forgotten. - Barb aka Maica

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni I'm so proud of your accomplishment!! Talk about a labor of love this is it!!
    Hugs,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bravo! Must feel great to have accomplished the genealogy ~ lots of work ~ hugs and namaste, Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anni, am so glad you were able to get the pdf file done. I would love to do a family tree but never seem to have the time.

    Hope you and Bud are doing well. Thanks so much for dropping by the Writing Nook.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Nevermore" popped in to my head before I even read the poem you posted! LOL! Cool shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the front and back covers! You have done such a fabulous job! And it has been a job! Or maybe it's best called a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete

.