my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Home sweet Home



I thought I'd combine Saturday's and Sunday's meme since it's "critter" and "shadowshot" all rolled into one photo. I used a King's Ranch photo of a longhorn and played around with it on Paintshop, using a brush stroke preset...this is the result----





Erik will be here on Sunday and not leave 'til late Monday, so I won't be on the computer much [My Monday post is prescheduled].......


MEME PARTICIPATION BUTTONS linked on sidebar





SUNDAY'S SUMMARY [posted with Saturday time frame]


One day this past week, I spent the morning tearing apart and cleaning three frames to add to the wall above the entertainment center. We had the painting of the Texas Longhorns by a local artist in the center of the wall [which I posted about Bud buying the print at the fairgrounds last year...HERE], and then to its right, my water color painting of the hummingbird. For weeks, I've been thinking of how to balance the rest of the left side. So, digging through the attic for frames, I found two smaller ones and a medium matted frame. The matted was empty, but needed a good cleaning. While the other small frames had stuff in it, it just didn't go with the flow of the room. Bud found one of his old [early] 1900's indian head copper pennies and mounted that on white felt and I then put it in the gold frame. The plain wooden frame, I added an antique Frederick Remington post card. In the larger, matted frame, I placed one of my pencil sketches of a Texas Longhorn...the date under my signature said "1984". Whoa. The quality of the photos are not all that great since I took it with my cellphone and no flash. I have one old wooden oval frame with the beveled glass that I will find something and add it to the wall to complete the space. I was craving a guacamole burger and Bud decided to fire up the grill and cook a couple of turkey burgers for us. I made the guacamole from a fresh avocado and picante sauce. I would have preferred wheat buns [I like the sweeter flavor], but all I had was white...but we had these delicious goodies a couple of nights this week. I piled on all the fixin's and when Bud saw them as he brought in the burgers from outside---"Where's the BEEF". On the bun I had grated cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced onion rings, jalapeno peppers, more picante sauce, and guacamole. Yum. I guess the fats in avocado are good for you? At least SOMETHING in the meal was healthy. There are times I go off my 'trying to eat more foods that are good for me'....it's something I do. And, I've found over the course of heart healthy diet that once in a while I just cannot give up the REAL cheese!! A tropical wave has been brewing in the Caribbean this past week, but way too far south to bring us some much needed rain. The high pressure area still dominates Texas tho. A couple more disturbances are out just off the African Cape Verde Coast...heading toward USA---maybe the 2nd one coming in [will be named Irene, of all names, if it turns into a tropical storm] just might get into the Gulf. I don't want any damaging storms, just a tropical wave with much needed relief. I had made a veterinarian appointment for our pretty kitty....Tahoe. She has been having troubles making water [if you get my drift - now that I think on it, she too is in a drought...lol] for the last couple of days. All kidding aside, while being examined, she had an empty bladder, a perfect body temperature, and her weight [surprisingly] is normal. Here I've always thought she was overweight...but nope. Anyway, she had two shots for pain and discomfort. And we have to administer antibiotics for 14 days...just once a day. Thank goodness. If she isn't improved from the vaccines and oral meds, by Monday, we have to take her in for an overnight stay so they can take blood and urine samples for lab work. Other than her difficulties in the litter box, she is quite normal...eating, playing and alert. The vet is thinking on the lines of FLUTD [feline lower urinary tract disease] which forms crystals in the bladder and blocks the normal flow....Keep my little pretty kitty in your hearts she'll improve over the weekend! Also...if you have small animals, the vet informed me that most often it's brought on by highly mineralized water from tap or bottled water----to use DISTILLED WATER only. Of course, after I brought her home, I got back in the car and stopped at the store and stocked up on distilled water. Anything for my best four legged friends.

36 comments :

  1. This cow is cute. And I like how you made your sideboard now! :) LG Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, love what your did with the longhorn. They are big critters. I hope your kitty is feeling better. Great post, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He`s a beauty and the pain effect looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love cows and love the effect!! your template is so summery and refreshing: beautiful! enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Distilled water? I'll have to check with our vet---we give Tucker spring water (from an actual spring not the fake kind) but I'll have to consider this new info! Thanks Anni!

    Love what you did to the photo- he looks painted!

    Enjoy your time with Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni,
    Enjoy your weekend with Erik!! Good job on the longhorns.
    Give Tahoe a gentle pet and ear scratch from us and we'll purr that the meds and vaccines work magic.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the edit on the longhorn...you are so creative on framing some of the treaures you have. I just did the same thing...I needed a few picutures for my guest room. I have a few photos that I took that were worthy of a frame...soooo that is what I did..had them enlarged to an 8x10... matted n framed n on the wall.
    Hope your kitty is getting better with the meds!
    Enjoy your visit with Erik...C U later

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your framed pictures! Will be thinking of your sweet kitty - hope the antibiotics help.
    Have fun with Erik home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cattle shows his winsome side - although I'd keep my distance nonetheless from the real thing, but will be happy get closer to the art...

    The look of the burger is divine with its homemade guacamole and picante atop of it. Bonne appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Hootin' Anni'..coming by to say those lemon cookies are a pin. If I find that recipe, I sure will share with you. :)
    Thanks so much for coming by. I always enjoy your visit.
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. The longhorned does look like a painting! And you do some lovely framing and matting work! I like to frame and mat my own pictures, too, but haven't done any in a few years. Your piled high with homemade stuff bun looks so good! I am addicted to cheese! Do you know it has an opiate in it that will kind of addict people? And also Gouda or Edam cheese has cancer prevention compounds in it, and is good to eat one or two slices a day. Poor kitty, she is very pretty. I didn't know that about the water, wonder if that's why so many cats have these bladder problems? I need to tell my son and his family, they have a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, I hope the antibiotics clear up Tahoe's problem. Urinary infections/disease in cats can be serious. We will keep Tahoe in our thoughts.

    Love your shot of the longhorn.

    Through Squirrel Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you did with the longhorn photo. you're so industrious! I'm hoping you get a few tropical waves that come through with much-needed rain. it's dry here too but nothing like where you live. it rained just a bit this morning but barely enough to wet the pavement. that burger looks so yummy - and I hear you on the cheese bit. I once bought a vegan cheese and it tasted horrible. back to the unhealthy stuff for me. but everything in moderation, right? I hope you have a fun weekend Anni. happy SSS to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8/20/2011

    Anni that paintshop enhancement was very cool !
    Your poor kitty ! We love our two girls to bits too and I dread anything bothering them or happening to them .. it seems so many more have urinary problems and diabetes .. our girls are a little too hefty (as we are of course? BIG sigh!) So more exercise and watching what we all eat is in the cards.
    My best wishes from our girls (Sophie and Emma) to Tahoe !! Hope you feel better SOON ! 'headbutts" and purrssss" haha
    Joy : )
    CanadianGardenJoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes to little Tahoe and the long horn is impressive! Happy Critter Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great combo!

    MY critter post, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one big beast, and I'd rather not tangle with him, thank you!

    IF I HAD A SHADOW

    If I had a shadow as big as the sky,
    I never would fear, and I’ll tell you why:

    My shadow would save me from dragons and things
    That fly in the night with terrible wings;

    My shadow would keep me away from the beast
    That sniffs in the west and sniffs in the east

    Hungry for children who play all alone,
    Hoping to feast upon blood, upon bone;

    My shadow would be my protector and knight
    To keep fear at bay, to banish all fright.

    I’m so glad my shadow is always nearby,
    Though it’s not nearly as big as the sky!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Shadows in hoofprints and stone

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trust your kitty will be well soon and nothing more serious is wrong! Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, I now feel completely up to date...cat drought and all...that picture you made of the longhorn looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the longhorn! And what a great shadow shot for the day! Hope your weekend is going well, Anni! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the pictures. The Longhorn is great.
    Your burgers look yummy. I love guacamole by itself or added to other foods.
    I hope your kitty gets better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fearsome looking longhorn! Poor kitty, I hope she gets better, I once had a kitty with that and it seems to be very painful when they get the crystals-my vet changed his food.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice entry Anni...Happy SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like what you did with the framing in your entertainment center. The cameras on our cell phones really do come in handy. I would not have had any of Bud’s wonderful shots from the big hike if not for his new iPhone. It was a great investment. Now to the guacamole...I never thought about it on a hamburger. That sounds D-I-V-I-N-E! Am going to the store for some avocado in a bit and give it a try. Any suggestions on your best recipe??? I’m psyched. genie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved the picture and that's nobull ~ LOL LOL The burger looked great too! YUM my kind of deal!

    I am praying for Miss Tahoe to be fine and all goeas well... there is nothing as bad as a sick furbabie.

    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am thinking of sweet Tahoe and hoping she is better real soon

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anni,

    It looks as if you have been nicely busy, taking care of your home, kitty and feeding that great guy of yours. I like how you guys do things together and help each other out. I hope that you do get some nice rain soon and that your baby girl feels better. I didn't know that about mineral water.

    Have a wonderful week, and thanks so much for stopping by to say hi!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope Tahoe is feeling better. I started buying bottled water for our Gaby too. I noticed she drinks more than when we used tap.
    Love guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your shadow shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Longhorns always amaze me - their horns are so LONG!! (duh) No horns on our cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm feeling inspired to dig out my old frames and do something creative.

    Anni, Congratulations! Your caption is selected again! Thank you for all your contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice post-processing of your photo.
    I hope sweet Taboe will be better soon.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Quite the "critter". Sounds like you had a busy week. I still am back in "olden times" when we drank water from a faucet, so I am appalled when everyone is paying 2 or 3 dollars for a bottle of water. Now the pets are getting it!!!! I just found that funny, but I'd probably be doing the same thing--hope she gets better. A sideline--the vet wanted to put our dog down. We ended up taking him up to the Veterinarian School at K-State (they have quite a reputation), and paying several thousand dollars to cure him--that was several years ago and he is still going strong. The things we do!!! Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good Wednesday Miss Annie! Sorry so late in getting over here. I hope your kitty is feeling better now. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete

.