my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The Shadow of Your Smile....





Along the coast, near the jetty where Bud and I frequently walk out 'to sea' birds -they seem to flock here. This one particular sunny, but very windy day, several weeks ago... a grackle was busy collecting and searching for more food stuffs...the sunlight created a great shadow of him, tho the photo is a bit blurred because of the movement...all factors from the water, me trying to remain steady in the wind, and the bird bouncing around from here to there. So, I apologize for the quality of the picture.

Sunday Shadow Shot Meme Link found on sidebar






SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Not much going on in our household this week. Same ol' same ol'!! About all that got done was a small amount of crocheting time, keeping up with the watering to stave off having dead plants from the drought conditions, laundry...just regular household chores. It's been a lazy week. We did drive out to the beaches before the county closed all access roads for the 'impending' storm from Friday's fiasco. Not much going on there either. Tons of debris on the shores that washed in from the Gulf waters from the swifter than normal currents...that's about it happening on the island. Being that it was the beginning of the weekend and all, and the fact we didn't leave until after all the yard statuary and lawn furniture was stored in the garage, early afternoon...the beaches were busy with revelers and fun times. Just like there was no threat of a storm at all. Oh the messy beaches tho. While I walked over the sand and waded the surf, there was a little boy from Montana, on vacation here, that was just having a time of his life. He was about 6 or 7 I'm guessing....first time to see the 'ocean'. His parents were near me as I walked by...they said this was his birthday gift. Nice. Another older couple was out walking their little dogs. Two chihuahuas [very popular breed here in South Texas] ---the two were fascinated by the large, huge, tree that washed ashore. I got verbal permission to post their picture here---funny thing is tho, when the two were climbing around the trunk...a good sized wave came in. Well, when I think about it, maybe it wasn't funny----if they weren't on leashes, they would have been washed out into the swift currents and lost. They were helped back onto safer ground by the masters' leashes!!! Oh, and the little black poochie wasn't marking his territory like it looks---just jumping down after climbing atop the trunk; sniffin' it all out. As you can see, by these two photos above the dog photo...about the only thing that came here from the storm was trees and dark, heavy skies. The temperatures here on the island were about 10 degrees difference than what we experienced in the city tho....a nice breeze off the water too. So, we start over---watering from the sprinkler system, waiting for some relief in this summery inferno. There are a couple more storm systems in the Caribbean....maybe they'll head our way. I really don't want anything that is constructurally damaging from any storms....I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But it would be nice to get something soon. It's depressing to say the least. We'll just keep an eye on the tropics and hope that soon the drought will be over.

37 comments :

  1. That's a perky little shadow-bird, Anni!

    COMPADRES

    Shadows above me,
    Shadows below;
    Some shadows swift and
    Some shadows slow;
    All of these shadows,
    It’s plain to see,
    Are my compadres—
    Sweet company!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


    Sweeping Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blue shadow is pure magic. Focus in a picture is not the most important thing, The mood is what we react to

    Thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the fake hurricane. I lived though so many of real ones in south Florida, but never a pretend one. All the pomp and circumstance and then only a few drops of water from the heavens. Your bird shadow hot is beautiful, and the others of the beach are lovely. The one of the little dog is just too cute. Loved the collection you gave us this week. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Anni !
    The bird looks like it is smirking some how .. too funny .. and the little dogs ? wow ! now wouldn't that have been something if the owners had to swim out and save them ? .. they were very fortunate indeed !
    Joy
    Hot and humid here .. we could use some rain too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the phots and the driftwood was really beautiful... Does that area have a lot if chihuahuas because you are close to Mexico??? LOL LOL It is funny how areas seem to have more of one tyoe of dog thern another. I was just telling my honey that there is a lot of Golden Retrievers here in Pensacola.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really love the ocean. would love to see the weather rolling in just for awhile.lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like those 2 little poochies are having fun and that little boy will have some great memories from this summer! love that blanket you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so very nice to meet your through Shadow Shots! Love the little bird and his shadow. I love the crochet project you are working on...wish I had learned to crochet!

    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mildred....nice to meet you too!!! Welcome to Hootin' Anni's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw a post about the drought on the evening news. Seems it will be affecting what we pay for beef. Maybe I should stock up. All those cattle farmers having to sell because of lack of water and grass.

    I imagine those large trees are dangerous to people playing in the water...wonder if they could have come from the rivers that flooded in the Spring.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful colored shadow...what a cute little bird and the shadow he casts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shadow of the bird is really sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post as always. I love your pictures and can not see any thing at all wrong with the first one. Too me it is a beautiful photo.
    I prayed the storm would bring us much needed rain but not even a drop was left here.
    So back to watering the yard and what few plants I have left.
    Have a great week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That shot of the grackle doesn't look bad at all. I like the shadow it casts. I've been hearing how hot it has been this summer from folks in Canada all the way down to where you're at in the Gulf. Didn't know you were experienceing drought though. We've had a lot of rain up here. The Mississippi River is close to flood stage along its length.
    Glad you are taking it easy. I've been busy, but not too much work involved in that business. It's work tryijgnto stay cool!

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos, now I need some beach time! :-)

    Sorry I haven't commented much, my brother was very sick and has since passed. Thank you for still visiting me when I was unable to return the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi anni! thanks for stopping by my blog today. no, you weren't missing a photo load. the prickly pear cactus was loaded with pears only - no blooms. i think folks not used to cacti think they're buds. :)

    so you're down on the coast - YOU folks blew the candle out on the tropical storm, eh?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to have a lazy week every so often. :) Hoping for the best over your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see your love of the water and beach in almost every post. I am so glad you and Bud are able to live in a place that you dearly love and enjoy..
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those dogs are cute! That is quite a tree - wonder where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your driftwood shots. Hot in your part of the world, very cold here. I am looking forward to the first signs of Spring. 'sigh'

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear the last storm passed you all over! I know rain is much needed in your neck of the woods. WE have had a few showers in a week so it really did help all the dried up grass n flower beds. This has been one heck of a hot hot summer n I will be happy when its over! like the shadow shot of the grackle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the little bird picture. You captured his lovely little shadow just fine, and he didn't seem to mind at all. He was busy scouring for food.
    Sorry that you didn't get any rain, hopefully relief will come soon. I know it is hard to keep things alive and thriving when it is dry and hot.
    I love the beach pictures. The little doggies seem to have enjoyed the debris. It gave them something interesting to investigate. I wish I lived close to a beach. I would have to visit several times a week and simply walk the shore line. I find it so soulfully rejuvenating. Lately I could SURE use something to help with that.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I lIke how the gracko's shadow looks blue.

    Glad to hear you didn't get a full blown hurricane or severe storm but it certainly would be nice to receive some good rain, I'm sure. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a nice blue shadow that Grackle cast!

    Sorry that Don fizzled out on y'all. It's awfully dry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. TS Don sure fizzled out. I was in Uvalde visiting my Mom and we had a little rain there, then got home NOTHING. Galveston county is shriveling up like a prune.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your shadowy bird pic is just fine! The shadow itself is clearcut and not at all wobbly. hehe. I hope you get some respite from the draught. Oh, and that little poochie pic is soooo cute. Happy SSS.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing your story. I didn't know chihuahua is a favorite. I wonder why. I have a Pomeranian which is like a very furry chihuahua.

    Congrats! Your captions were selected! They are posted today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe your bird shot is not good, but I enjoyed in reading your post :)

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Enjoyed reading your blog and the shadow is so sharp isn't it? Good shot and a good read. Thank for the comment on my blog too, I get a buzz when I get comments and check out where the comments come from. Isn't blogland wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thats a great bird shadow!! It seems odd seeing a black bird at the beach, we spend a lot of time at the beach over here (Australia) and I am just trying to recall seeing black birds in the water like that!! Have a great week :0)

    ReplyDelete
  31. sorry I'm late...
    We finally got cooler weather - now the air feels nice and fresh.
    Your ocean looks so different from ours, beautiful. I hope you'll get cooler weather soon.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice shadow shot! Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the blue shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love that shadow shot of the little birdie! I know what you mean about it being hard to take pictures of birds who don't sit still! lol Earlier this morning there were about 7 Starlings all trying to fit in the bird bath and I took so many pictures but only a couple turned out. They were moving so much trying to take a bath, most of them were blurry.

    Wow, that is quite the tree trunk that washed ashore. I'd love to walk along the shore to see what treasures the currents brought in:-) Oh dear, it is indeed a good thing those two little doggies were on a leash because as you say, there's no doubt they would have been washed out to sea with the waves!! They sure look like they were having fun, though:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can see the skeletons now! I'm quite excited by the outcome. haha! Thanks for dropping by. Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hear it's very hot there! Hope these photos are cooling you down a tad. :)

    ReplyDelete

.