my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Neko....Japanese for cat


Click HERE to join
FOLLOW ME TUESDAY linked button on SIDEBAR!!






I was lucky enough to find this rare porcelain cat bank. I posted quite a while ago about finally finding a maneki neko cat bank at the trade center here in town. The other day when it was sultry, humid and too hot to walk outdoors, Bud and I went back to the trade center and walked around. If you stop and peruse all the 'stores' it can take you up to four hours or more. And there are three shops that carry Oriental Imports. Of course, I had to check them out in search of more of the lucky beckoning cats. There was one on the shelf that I really adored. It was 'different' than others I've seen. In fact, I wasn't really sure it WAS a maneki neko....it had no raised paws. And it was yellow. Tiger striped. Tho the calico cat is most prized by their culture, I thought the one here in this shop was just too unique to pass up. It was the only one left. So, the shopkeeper let me have that one. Getting online to search for its purpose I found out it wasn't a maneki neko but was from the era BEFORE the beckoning cat legend. It's Marujime neko. And from what I read [which is very little online] it most likely is seen as a mother cat carrying its babies; with no raised paws. This one tho, is carrying no babies but holding onto the 'lucky' coin. From one site, I quote:
    Marujime neko was a popular figure around 1845 to 1870 in the ukiyoe-prints (Japanese woodblock prints) of Kuniyoshi Utagawa and Kuniyoshi Kitagawa. The latter, in particular, was a cat lover and portrayed many of them in his artwork. Most people believe that Marujime neko was the ancestor of maneki neko even though it does not have the raised beckoning paw.

    Left paw raised: invites visitors or in business, customers
    Right paw raised: invites money and good fortune
    Both paws raised: protects home or business
    White neko: stands for goodness and purity
    Black neko: wards off evil
    Tri-color or calico: luck, luck, luck
    Pink or red neko: brings love and happiness
    Gold neko: invites wealth and prosperity
    Green neko: health, good health
    Yellow neko: manifestation of money
    Neko with coin in paw: invites financial gain
    Neko with fish in paw: another invitation to prosperity

    "Although quite popular in their day, Marujime neko figurines are not so easy to come by nowadays."


Note: Marujime neko, spelling it out as one word instead of two is the way it's on Google.

19 comments :

  1. Thanks for the story on this. You see plenty of these here. I didn't know all that about the colors...cool...oh and BTW you weren't cheap for Bud's birthday huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story, Anni ^.^ And the money, you paid, will be returned together with lots more ;-)
    Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you ever see the FA CAI cat? It's a prosperous cat money box waving one leg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Yes, I believe those are the same as Maneki Neko. Same thing, different name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting little critter. Nicely captured. Happy RT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are about four of those I'll be looking for now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from FMBT! Hope you can stop by and follow back :)
    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting facts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is your cat bank full yet? If so, do you have the courage to break it open to get at the loot?

    IN LOVE WITH RED

    I’m heels over head
    In love with Red,
    There’s nothing that I won’t do
    To let you all know
    I love Red so—
    Nothing, of course, against you!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Smidgen of Playground Red

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting... I don't remember hearing of these before! Yours is really cute, and I'm glad you found him! ~tina (Love the little poem about the color red!.. I'm finally showing where I put the little red ruby slippers I made on my blog. If you've got time, pour yourself a cuppa, and see!) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neko kitty's face is very expressive. What a great find!!
    Happy Tuesday Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just love finding treasures like that, especially when they're so rare? I had no idea there was such a history behind those cats so found it quite interesting. Whenever I find something I don't know much about, the first thing I do when I get home is get on the computer to Google it! lol What did we ever do without our Google??? hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember if I have a cat bank. I remember too well my piggy bank and house bank ^_^ This is a great find Anni.^_^
    RT

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lucky find. Perfect for Ruby Tuesday, too. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute find and I enjoyed reading all about it.
    Happy belated Birthday to Bud.I hope you spoiled him.LOL
    I finally am getting caught up with you again. I hate missing any of your posts.
    Have a Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!

    Ruby Tuesday at my page, come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting lesson we had today. The most interesting thing to me is that it was too hot and humid to walk outside - already?! We're still waiting for warm spring weather to last more than one day a week. But soon it'll just bypass spring altogether and jump into summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I am your new follower. Would it be okay if you follow me back at my Little blog, pretty please? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

.