my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


As time goes flies by....


[CLICK HERE TO JOIN]


SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY





Two Navy airplane shadows on the NAS Corpus Christi Air Base tarmac during last weekend's airshow.



- - -<><><>- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

From the weekend last thru most of this past week, we've been going places and making trips from home in and around town. Which is nice since the cost of gas keeps going up and up. Which makes me wonder if Congressmen have to pay for their own gas and transportation...anyone know for sure? If I ran MY house like the government does, I would have had to shut down long ago! Eons ago. Okay, now that I got that out of my system, let me begin. If you were here last weekend, you would know that we attended the very shortened airshow here on the Naval Base. Even the Blue Angels, the Navy's best pilots, didn't fly because of the high winds. And I don't think it was more for their safety, it was more OUR safety. Anyway, we did go and spent most of the day there....

I took the sum total of the photos on the digital camera from last week, and made them into a You Tube video with added music and photo captions. If you'd like to view them all...here is the final result----





- - - Also, during the week, the Port of Corpus, the actual port where the ships dock held a special event to salute the Viet Nam Veterans. Even tho the Viet Nam discordance began in the mid to late 50s'...the Americans didn't really become strongly involved in a war until 1961...which would mean it's nearing the 50 year anniversary for American Troops. And if you have been here visiting occasionally, you'll also know I lost a great boy....a VERY close friend...to the war. Without hesitation, when we found out from our membership of the Veterans' Administration that the replica of the Viet Nam Memorial was coming to town, we were one of the first to arrive. Tho small in size, it still resonates the exact feelings when we visited the REAL memorial in Washington D.C. several years ago. Bud and I both knew which panel to go view. My dearly beloved friend was killed in action just weeks after his leave back to the States, where Bud first met him. A good friend and soldier in his same unit told me that "He died instantly, didn't know what hit him"....it still rattles my heart. At the beginning of this paragraph, I added a 'panoramic view' of the entire wall along the channel...it really should be enlarged to view better. But since there is so much here today on the post; in mega bytes, I was hoping to cut down a bit on loading time.



One day we drove to see if we could see some heron hatchlings from the large nest building from about a month ago. Either we were too late or they were quietly hiding out....we saw no activity. Besides, we didn't stay long. Another day we took a short trip to Luby Park [beach area] to do some walking. We walked about 3 miles and traipsed through a lot...tons!...of seaweed. The city crews have nearly been eliminated this time of year. Mainly because of the drastic cuts in budgets, so the seaweed that used to be cleaned up daily is no longer being grated out and onto the dunes....in some places it was nearly 2 feet high. But I found several sea seeds. Two of the heart beans and plenty of 'hamburger' seeds along with four sand dollars.

We also went to see the movie "The Conspirator". That movie just made me cringe again...knowing that today's crooked government isn't all that new. Even back then, the men in higher offices did despicable things. Tho, I'm sure Mary Surratt was guilty in some way or another, after reading history books, I don't think she should have been hanged. She was more or less an accomplice but never ever was physically involved in the Lincoln assassination. And this movie brought light to us Americans. The people in power ruled...or should I say 'rules'. Good movie.

We also talked of going to get a buffalo burger one day. And ended up driving to Fudruckers. That is the only place I actually know of in town that serves them. They're much less in cholesterol content. And when you're craving a burger...they really hit the spot!! The funny part of it all is, I try to keep my intake of the fatty foods to a bare minimum...it all looked so good once it was served, I had to add gobs of jalapeno cheese sauce to top it off. Figures. Oh and speaking of burgers and toppings...Bud and I have been enjoying the 1st of our garden labors...luscious, red, ripened tomatoes right off the vine.

31 comments :

  1. Glad you enjoyed the air show.
    Sounds like you had a busy time. And Mr. Sweet gets a buffalo burger ever now and then but I refuse. He says they are great..I don't believe him...I order BEEF. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures - and I like the music you added. It fits!
    Fresh tomatoes sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The belly of the one plane makes a great shadow!

    SOME SAY THAT SHADOWS

    Some say that shadows are fragments of light,
    Others that they are but pieces of night,
    Fleeing like demons when dawn becomes day,
    Fearing the radiance coming their way.
    Is one notion wrong and one notion right?
    Just what are shadows if they are not light?


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Sad Café

    Dancing Shadow Tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures of the shadows, Anni! thanks for stopping and I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very nice shadows. I have seen the wall in DC and it is very emotional. There is always someone there making an etching of a name. We found my junior high school friend's brother 's name on the wall.
    Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hootin'- This whole post gave me great Proud Chill bumps! Airplanes and shadows!!! Orgasmic!

    Thanks-- Beautiful Post!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shadow shots and wonderful narrative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you that your tomatoes are ready! Our plants are about 18" tall now, and we can't wait! They are so tasty off the vine!

    I really enjoyed your slideshow! It made me feel patriotic- last year while the Blue Angels were here they kept flying over our house and I got pictures right from my backyard! It was exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy...you've been one busy girl! Planes are fun to look at and they do leave great shadows. By the way, one gallon of regular gas here in San Ramon is $4.25! It's definitely putting a damper on my driving around. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the planes & their shadows - nice shots! And thanks for your movie review of The Conspirator... I was thinking about going to see it, and this helped me decide I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my, you have tomatoes already - and we just had more snow! Yikes! Great video of the air show! Would have been fun to be there! Love the shadow shots! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for coming by...nice shot...

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the video - it was delightful. love the tune! You have ripe tomatoes??? that's awesome. great shadow shots Anni, and it seems you've had another eventful week. hope this coming one is filled with more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first shadow shot is almost like shape of Finland! The 'arm' is too long but rest of it looks too real! :)
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed with your video!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA I love love love these photos. How awesome. Fudruckers? Fudruckers you say? hmmm....I'm just keeping my mouth shut LOL Back to planes, I think you and Bud should come over here and see the updated Hawai'i. Would be a gas to entertain you...and I wouldn't charge 4.42 a gallon either ROFLMAO!!! Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great ShadowShots Anni! We've seen the VN Memorial Wall in Washington,DC and also the traveling VNMemorial Wall. Both real heart wrenching sights. My hubby is a VN vet and I had a good friend from high school who last his life there just before the war was over. I did an etching of his name(8-10years ago?) and wrote to his mom. She was so grateful to have one of Paul's friends write to her after so many years. Gone, but not forgotten. Thanks for the reminder of our brave men in uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni, that is WAY COOL that you found a shadow of the cross at the air show a week before Easter!!!

    Sounds like you guys had a great date. Do you recommend the movie? I know what you are saying that govt corruption is nothing new; on my Sepia Saturday post, the quotes by Herbert Hoover could have been written this morning, instead of long ago.

    Have a wonderful week ... awesome post full of lots, as always.

    Take care,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know much about WWII Navy planes, wondering if the shadow subject is a Vought Kingfisher. Still, very little is preserved from that era, so this is a visual treat in subject and shadow, too! I haven't seen the Blue Angels, but was treated to the USAF Thunderbirds. The precision is needed, and a real trust in the abilities of your wingmates. Cool weekend including planes, a favorite subject of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice shadows, sorry to hear it was so windy, the Blue Angels are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Impressive slide show. Looks like fun. I love airplanes, watching them. I'm not as fond of flying as I once was.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lover your header. Nice shadow shots. Amazing planes. Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hubby would love this post. He's a retired Navy.

    Gorgeous!

    Come and see my shadow shots. Wishing a you a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent photos... the shadows show up the shape of the plane which is hidden in the straight on view... clever!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shadows on the ground, shadows on the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's nice to capture plane shadows too! This is a very nice set and glad that you still enjoyed the show though it was windy. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! You stumbled upon some huge shadows there! Way cool! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your shadow shots. You and Bud sure have been busy, I had to have a little nap just reading all that you have been doing. LOL

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh! great shadow shots. I wish i could play now the video but my connection is too slow. Thanks for the visit Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great shots, Anni, and on the YTvideo there are lots of shadows too!
    Have a nice week - with new tomatoes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely shadow shots. The video wouldn't play for me... maybe I'll try later...

    xoEsther

    ReplyDelete

.