“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






There, by the Grace of God...goes my family----



Click either button to Join



Before showing the photo I chose for today, let me state at the beginning why I titled this post as I did. Sunday morning, early, the sun was out bright and the sky was a clear deep blue. With a promise of a glorious day. A glorious day to walk on the beach. Bud and I hopped in the car and drove over to the island and parked on Whitecap Beach. At the beginning of our 3 mile walk from the jetty to the Pier, there was hardly a soul to be seen. A few were out and about walking their dogs, a few were hunting shells, and I was just enjoying the warmth of it all, after such a cold week prior...let me tell you, I was happy as a lark that the storm fronts moved out of our area and we got our Spring-like weather back. The peace and quiet of the morning, the low tide and the wide sandy beach. As we neared the jetty, this family coming our way, in the opposite direction that Bud and I walked, came into view. As we neared each other, I saw three boys and one girl. The children were all so well-behaved, I couldn't believe they weren't frolicking around on the beach a bit. As you can see they were dressed warmly as the chill of the morning hadn't worn off yet. And it's always colder by the sea in the winter. Four kids...three boys and one girl!! As we greeted them all with a friendly hello, I noticed something...the mom was hugely pregnant - so very soon a delivery date. Oh oh...five kids!! Here's where I thought...there, by the grace of god goes my own family. Many many years past. My three brothers...two older boys, the girl, my sister, and the youngest boy, my youngest, older, brother. ---I, still in my mother's womb. All the children were just about [by my guess] about the same age difference as my own siblings. Blond hair...blue eyes...my mom's hair [tho sandy red instead of blond...a true Irish lady] flowing in the breeze and the father?---well, he was so obviously proud to be out with his growing family!!! Walking past them, and getting a small distance between us, I couldn't resist turning around and taking a picture. To me, this was the epitome of a wonderful Sunday filled with being together as a family....whole!! Here's what I saw, I enjoyed so much to see and think of family ties...I'm sharing my feelings and thoughts with you all [to the far left to right, my middle older brother, "Butch", my youngest older brother, "Larry", my mom and me not quite born, but very soon, my sister "Sharon", my oldest brother, "Gene" and dad] ........





- - -

Today is my birthday....I can now call myself 'legal age'!!! For retirement that is. LOL...Bud is going to take me to my annual lunch on the bay....FRIED butterflied Gulf Shrimp....fresh caught. Yum.

35 comments :

  1. Such a sweet shot. Wishing you a
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni ~~ Again, Happy Birthday - enjoy your
    meal out with your husband. Thank you so much for your very kind comments at my blog and I am glad you get a smile from the jokes. I try
    to stay positive and take life as it comes and
    I enjoy blogging, but only get around to once a week these days. Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday sweet anni!!!!! and enjoy your lunch, sounds deeeee-vine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sweet picture - so neat how they fell in line with your family.
    Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day and Bud spoils you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Anni! Enjoy every bite of those shrimp!


    FANCY THAT!

    A hunter of all kinds of water
    Had neither a son nor a daughter;
    But ocean and sea
    Provided such glee—
    He fancied adopting an otter!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


    Frosty Windowpane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday fellow Antiquarian! And in the year of the Metal Rabbit too. No wonder our likes are alike...;} IF you follow that sort of thing like I do. I too, become legal only in 9 more days. Can't wait! Hope your day is a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful memory and image Anni...wishing you a belated happy birthday...may today be filled with joy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Anni!

    LOVE the shot - and your comparison to your family. :)

    WW: Reflection

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday Dear Anni...Happy Birthday to you. And may you have 100 more,

    Enjoy your day with your man.....and be sure to lick your dessert plate.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely story and photograph.
    Happy birthday to you. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's rather rare to see families with such a lot of children nowadays ! two are usually the maximum. You can see my little grandson today for Wordless Wednesday !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gattina Well, here in this part of the world, it isn't so rare to see large families. Still, I don't think 5 children is 'large' in size. Heck, we have one in this country that has birthed more than 14...still, in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday, Anni and may God bless you always.that photo says a lot. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post. I think it is wonderful to see a family doing things together.
    Happy Birthday to you and I hope that you enjoy the day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful picture. Great post. Happy Birthday and enjoy your shrimp. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. God bless you on your birthday! Wonderful story. Beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! I have a birthday post too, but not mine, my mom's!

    http://randomhandprints.blogspot.com/2011/02/wordless-wednesday-views-from-new-york.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful photo... Wishing you many blessings on your birthday!

    Happy WW!!!

    Best,
    Li
    @LaLicenciada
    @HerDeepThoughts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that is so beautiful! I'm the eldest of 5 and wouldn't trade a minute of my childhood. But I couldn't have done it. And now I'm doing a lot of it with 4! Go figure. But that is a lovely post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday - lovely post too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best wishes on your birthday. Sounds like your in for a real treat at the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that's the best food for the best birthday girl! Happy Birthday!
    Watery Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday!! The sand is so different on your beaches...I can never get used to that! Great story and wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday beautiful, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds so nice! Happy Birthday & enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday Anni. Loved "your" family".

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Happy Birthday Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday Anni! Sweet story, lovely...

    Thanks for visiting my blog, btw, if your son ever decides to rid himself of Star Wars stuff, contact me!!!!

    Have a blessed day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy, Happy Birthday, dear Annie! I'll be at mine on the 16th.
    May you have a year filled with joyful living, laughing and blogging. You are one special lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. P.S. Wonderful family photo and relating your own story to it. They look so relaxed and happy to be walking along the beach close, close to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anni, gosh, your story and photo give me chills. That was me a long time ago, but in a stepfamily ... my two girls, his three boys and our boy on the way. Thank you so much for sharing this heartwarming tale.

    I appreciate all the very nice things that you said about my tablescape more than you will ever know. I'm so glad that our paths have crossed.

    Take care and God bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is so great! Happy Birthday to you!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful photo Anni and an even more wonderful story. Your beaches are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday dear Anni!!!! Omigosh, I can't believe I missed it:-( I do hope you had an absolutely wonderful day and I look forward to hearing how you celebrated!!

    It's truly amazing that those kids were jumping and running all over the place. Needless to say, they're well disciplined:-) Such a wonderful sentiment that this family reminded you of what yours looked like when you were still in your mama's belly! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. belated happy birthday, anni!

    you seemed to have enjoyed the special day!

    ReplyDelete

.