my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...and that's a wrap!....off to Denmark-------



[CLICK BUTTON TO JOIN]





This is my first go at this Sunday meme

Santa Toothpick Holder
resting on a
Crystal Santa Face Plate













- - -<><><>- - -





My Summary covers just one thing...one thought today. For, the week was perfect for one reason... Years now, I have been online friends with one very sweet lady from Denmark. If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you know her as Mutti. We have been friends for well over a decade. Our friendship started way back when we were both members of another online group called, at the time- now defunct, Random Acts of Kindness. Even after the group dwindled down to only a few and she and I left the group permanently, we continued conversing through many emails. Sending each other gifts through snail mail, I must admit tho, that HER gifts to me far supersedes the gifts I send her! Oftentimes we seem more like sisters. Our thoughts over the years have been in sync; several times we have emailed each other the very same time, with almost the same thoughts!! Anyway, for a long long time I've kept a photo of her that she shared with me by saving it on a disk. While I was perusing the very disk weeks ago to find photos of family members, I came across it once again, and I thought to myself "You wonder if Mutti would like me to draw this very photo into a pencil sketch of her?" I went out and asked Bud if he thought that would be something to do for Mutti....he said to me, "I'm sure she'd like it, but can you draw her and make it look like her?" Well, I then said, "I can only try." Working on it for about a month here and there, sketching and putting it down for a while to walk back and check the likeness, I finished it a little over a week ago. And when I went down to the post office to send off all my readied gifts and cards...all at once...so I wouldn't have to return to the facility again with all the holiday mobs....I sent it off to Mutti in Denmark!! My biggest concern was to have it not get bent!! I packaged it flat instead of in a tube container since I was also concerned for pencil smearing if I rolled it up into a cardboard tube. And let me 'fess up, I'm not much of a packer! LOL But a few days ago, I got an email from Mutti that the package arrived in her town, and she was going to go to town to pick it up the next day. That very next day I received an email from her and she was in tears. Which made me tear up also!! No, it wasn't ruined, it was a happy bunch of tears. Mutti was elated with the gift. Which pleased me to the point I was elated to have made her so happy!!! Bud, when I told him about her email she had sent; he smiled!!! She writes [condensed a bit]:
    Ohhhhhh my dear friend, ohhhhh Anni
    I'm writing this letter with tears in my eyes.
    THANK YOU. thank you, it is just beautiful.
    You, my dear managed to make me my absolute favorite gift of all time. It is so perfect, you really made my day today.
    It is so incredibly generous of you to take time out to make this for me, I think of how much time and effort you have spent making it.
    Now I am going to sit and look at it a while, and just enjoy having it, and thinking of the possibilities of how to frame it.
    You could not have picked out anything more perfect a Christmas-gift.
Now, this email, I tell you...was the best gift of all. It made me feel so good to make my good friend so pleased. Mutti, my dear? De er den bedste!!!!


If, by now, you're curious with the whole story, and you're still here hoping to see the results, you're in luck---


To the left: Mutti's Photo
To the right: My sketch of Mutti


- - -

Well, I had typed above that my summary would be only one thing, but I also found out this weekend that my photo blog, COLORS OF THE WIND, was featured as "Sites to See". The honor is posted on my sidebar at the photography blog. I added three new photos also.

36 comments :

  1. You are a fabulous friend to have HA. That was so sweet of you and the likeness is just perfect. What a gift the two of you share: Friendship. Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on you blog being listed. Way to go. I wonder if they make a SC that holds dental floss? LOL Have a great Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a beautiful Xmas story as well as blogging story, it's the essence of both, how wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, Anni! That is a wonderful sketch of Mutti. I can certainly understand why she was so touched. Now I'm going over to your photo blog. I love photo blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift! You captured her very well and I know she appreciated the time you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great holiday themed shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you did a wonderful job capturing your friend, Anni!

    Mutti must have been overwhelmed; I know I would have been.

    This is a beautiful Christmas story. I'm so glad you shared it. Thakns for stopping by to see my shadow.

    Welcome to Shadow Shot Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute toothpick holder! A perfect choice for Shadow Shot Sunday! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Welcome to the wonderful world of Shadow Shot Sunday - but be warned ... it's addictive!! I love your little Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to SSS. What a perfect shadow for the week before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you caught Santa's shadow. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice sketch! You are talented!

    Quiltworks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth/Mutti12/19/2010

    Anni dearest of friends
    Much to my amazement I see today that you blog about me, ME? -more than you should about your lovely sketch- you make me blush, but on the other hand, I am very grateful that you feel me worthy talking about"S"
    Sometimes life is tough and it's hard to see the pot of gold waiting for you at the end of the rainbow.
    Other times we just long for "someone to tell it to"
    Then, out of the blue, and for no specific reason, we found each other online, and in all honesty you became the one who was always there to give me a quick pep talk- and a long distance"helping hand".
    Since then we have been writing letters 'to and fro'- We have been talking about all great and not so great experiences we've had,and the many lessons we have shared and learned from each other.
    Not to mention all the laughter we have had.
    Others will maybe find this crazy, and that's fine too, and I want you to know that I am truly grateful- and I know in my heart that you know already.
    I hope all your blogging friends can see how skilled you are when they see the sketch!
    I wish you and all bloggers here ,a very beautiful Christmas with peace and happiness in your hearts!!
    "Life is precious and amazing, but what makes the ride fun is the people you meet along the way in this game called life."
    Mutti

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sketch and you did a wonderful job...Congratulations on the photo feature.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. SANTA IN THE SHADOWS

    Santa in the shadows,
    And Santa in the sun;
    Santa full of laughter,
    And Santa having fun;
    Santa, come to my house,
    But not to the front door—
    Tumble down the chimney,
    And fall upon the floor!


    © 2010 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to see you on Shadow Shot, Annie, and your shot for the day is delightful -- as I would expect of you! I do hope your weekend has gone well and that you have a great week ahead! Look forward to seeing more of your shadows next week!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just lovely. An online friendship can be just as deep as the one next door. Kindred sisters separated by space. I'm sure she was thrilled. Congrats on being featured on "Sites to see". Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni, thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I'm so happy to meet you. And I'm happy you're participating in SSS too! The story of your lasting friendship with Mutti is so heartwarming, and the sketch is lovely. That you've maintained a 10-year plus blogging friendship is no surprise, your blog exudes warmth and love. And...I suspect you're a "hoot" - and that's a real good thing! Happy SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for visiting my blog, and welcome to Shadow Shot Sunday from another newcomer! I like your Santa shadow, and your story and drawing of Mutti are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute santa shadow and such a lovely gift to give your friend.
    Thank you for your visit and comment on GalleryJuana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, what a lovely sketch! No wonder Mutti was in tears of joy. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a beautiful portrait you drew! Very impressive. And welcome to Shadow shot sunday...I love the cute little Santa!

    Oh, and thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I'm so glad to "meet" you.

    xoEsther

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your Santa shadow! Very festive!

    Beautiful drawing Anni! You have quite the hand!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A ceramic Santa is always cute in this season, and its shadow nice...

    A personal git is so often the best. A friend deserves the thoughtful gift, and we feel blessed to provide it...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very touching and sweet post.

    Thanks for your visit, but I cannot post comments with links.

    Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello and thank you for visiting, great shadow shot for the day :) Sweet Santa. Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so loved your story of Mutti! What a marvelous bond you both have! And your sketch is beautiful! You have captured the expression on her face in the phot!

    The shadows from Santa are simply magical! Such a variety of shapes and sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How lovely Anni ~
    Merry Christmas ~
    Have a beautiful season ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  28. that is so sweet of you! & a beautiful likeness too.
    You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your shadows! We are going to have a HOT Christmas here in West Oz - you all have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The little santa's got a great shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Anni, thanks so much for visiting my blog...this shadow shot thing's fun isn't it? And what a great job you've done with that sketch of your friend...no wonder she was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Six months ago I wouldn't have understood how blogging friendships grew and thrived. I've learnt so much in the short time I've been blogging. You've both shared a beautiful story.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting so kindly on my Shadow Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Santa toothpick holder is so cute-nice bonus with the shadow!

    Love the story and the pencil sketch of Mutti-truly a great gift since it involve your precious gift of time (and effort).
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome to the world of shadows. Glad you joined in on the fun. Love your Santa toothpick holder and his shadows!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad that you stopped by for Shadow Shot Sunday Anni! Love your little toothpick holder - it is adorable! Your sketch of Mutti is fantastic - we think you did a fabulous job! Gifts from the heart are so much nicer that from the store - we're sure that she will treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a lovely little Santa, and so useful too!
    Have a Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete

.