“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






I only wish for a better anthem! IMHO


CLICK BUTTON to join!!



In honor of USA's Veteran's Day today and USMC birthday yesterday, I choose a patriotic song. I, personally, hereby solemnly swear....this song, for me, should be our national anthem---

LINK to SONG




O Beautiful...for spacious skies


...for amber waves of grain



...for purple mountains' majesty



...above the fruited plains


AMERICA, AMERICA
God Shed his grace on thee....

And crowned thy good, with brotherhood--




---from sea to shining sea!!



Photos: top to bottom- Ships' channel at Port Aransas..."Aransas Pass" - Sea Grass going to seed/grain on sand dune [Newport Beach Access] - Scanned photo from an album of older photo by about 40 years...Sangre de Cristo Mountains Colorado/New Mexico border - Goose Island State Park in Texas --oldest Oak Tree [with the 'fruit' of acorns each and every year] estimated over 1000 years old. The 'brotherhood' is one I scanned from our photo albums; the USMC Iwo Jima Memorial near Arlington, VA. And the 'sea to shining sea' is [left] a scanned photo of LaJolla California [near San Diego and the first time I saw the Pacific Ocean] and the Gulf[right], a shrimp boat, in Corpus city's Marina. I couldn't find my photos of Ocean City Maryland ---my first ever time I saw the Atlantic Ocean when landing in Baltimore, MD many years ago..that would've truly be SEA to shining SEA.

The Lyrics:
The words of this song came from a poem of the same title by Katharine Lee Bates (1859 -1929). She wrote the poem in 1893 and then revised it twice; first in 1904 and then in 1913. Bates was a teacher, poet and author of several books including America the Beautiful and Other Poems which was published in 1911. A trek to the summit of Pikes Peak in Colorado is believed to have inspired Katharine Lee Bates to pen the lyrics to "America the Beautiful." Hence, I scanned a photo of Colorado Mountains!!!! And the reason I wish this song was our National Anthem...it is easier to sing...it's not flubbed up by so many singers, and it tells it all!!!!! Besides, the music to our Anthem is 'stolen' from an old British drinking song....if America was breaking away from the British rule...why then did we choose a British Song?!! Oh, and my favorite version is sung by the late, great Ray Charles [the link provided at the beginning of my post]...........





20 comments :

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog Anni and letting me know about the Over 50 Blogger thing.

    Lovely photos to go along with one of my favorite songs. Happy Veteran's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Anni....this song will always give me chill bumps...I love it...thank you for sharing it on Veteran's Day.
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&M I too love this....it brings tears each and every time I hear it sung!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anni... by theme song hub to you mean the
    button? I don't know what is up with blogger but nearly every day after it is posted I cannot see my some of my pictures or pictures on other blogs. Today the button does not show up. This is the first week the button has not appeared. I'm at work now and cannot make any corrections. At least the link to your name works....
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. M&MThe link you left at the hub, meaning Mr. Linky, on the ThemeSong Site was broken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing dear Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootin Anni dear why can't I open Cecilia- Mommy and Madi's page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Anni! Such a beautiful song and so much more fun to sing.

    The first little snow this morning - how long do you think the girlies will be this excited?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I'm not American your national anthem still gives me goosebumbs, happy remembrance day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just perfect! I love that song - especially when sung by Ray Charles. Your pictures today are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, Anni. An appropriate choice for Veterans' Day. We call it Remembrance Day here, but it's the same thing.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Anni for honoring our soldiers. I had forgotten you love the USA Marines too!! Semper Fi!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What amazing photos you shared with us today.
    It is a truly cold and nasty day here for the Vets celebrations.
    I truly want to thank all the vets for what they have given for us to remain free.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, this would be a better anthem. It speaks to what is best about America while our current anthem is poem of war set to a drinking song.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth Fullerton11/11/2010

    Hello Anni
    What a wonderful post you have today-beautiful pictures, and what you say about your Anthem, is so so true- it should be the one yhou suggested.
    Although I am not an American, that song whenever I hear it, brings tears to my eye, especially song by good old Ray Charles.
    It must be the fact that I so admire the USA, and what It stands for. Besides your Country is very beautiful. I wish I could come visiting and see for my self.
    Thank you for sharing with us today-
    please give my best to your Bud, and as always--Du er den bedste af dem all. ♥ ◄:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like America the beautiful, America land of bounty. America, land if freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh have I missed coming by here to visit you. I just love it when I do. You always have the best post for me to enjoy. This is truly wonderful thank you for going to all the trouble to do it for the Veterans and us.
    Hope all is well your way and I have a lot of catching up to do on your site while I am here.
    My darn Verizon Bytes limited is driving me up the wall. lol
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a beautiful song, I too wish this was our National Anthem. Your photos are perfect for the song Anni.

    I am running behind in my visits but hopefully I can get caught up. I had some ad ware slowing down all the blog pages and making it very difficult to leave comments. All fixed now.

    Thanks for the comment on my Hey Little Cobra. I used to do a little drag racing myself in my younger and dumber days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree. We should start a campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful photos, great blog

    ReplyDelete

.