my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Spirit....

The girl's name Hermine \he-rmi-ne, her-mine\ is a variant of Erma (Old German), Herminia (Spanish) and Hermione (Greek), and the meaning of Hermine is "complete, universal; messenger; earthly".

RUBY TUESDAY PHOTO just below this paragraph...


The tropical storm is just behind us to the southwest now...it made landfall in northern Mexico and is traveling up toward the outskirts of San Antonio. It's situated around Kingsville, Texas at this typing...about 30-40 miles from Corpus Christi. All night we had heavy, fierce wind gusts and buckets of rain --we've not experienced any power outages so far. Right now, we are in a lull so to speak...just drizzling rain for the moment and wind gust up to about 30 MPH. It's still a bit dark just before sunrise. Our neighborhood is not flooded...lots of rain in the street gutters but no lawn/yards flooded. All the beach access roads were closed last night around 5 PM...but I am hoping to drive over to the island and check out the tides and wave action later today. Luckily, this was a fast moving storm front otherwise if it had turned to hurricane force, there no doubt would have been some lives taken since there was no time to prepare for evacuation!!! This photo was taken about 6 a.m.....from our front porch. You can barely see the torrents of rainfall on the streets under the street light----


This one, Hermine was a 'messenger' and reminding us how nature can be earthly to be sure as the name implies... but....a gentle messenger for us here!!!







Click button to join


CLOWN KACHINA DOLL
[carved by hubby!...painted by ME]












close ups






- - -


Koshari, Koyala, Hano, or Tewa are the names of a clown that is often seen on the Hopi Mesas. Clown Kachinas provide amusement during Kachina ceremonies. Often shown with watermelons, they behave in the usual manner of pueblo clowns, engaging in loud and boisterous conversation, immoderate actions, and gluttony. They are often drummers for dances.

Historical text above borrowed from here...READ MORE on the different Kachina Dolls.


The Native American Girl's name, Kachina, is :Spirit: in translation. Native American Names and meanings.



Girls Names - Hermine, found here

24 comments :

  1. Sounds like quite a storm for you, but thankfully not as bad as it could have been!

    Good job to Bud and you on the doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Anni....
    Sounds like Hermine was a polite guest...in and out in a flash. Maybe she was a distant relative of or former Hurricane Earl.

    I love your fall background
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous doll....and I once lived in Corpus Christi, and know the hurricane routine...as well as suffering thru Rita....I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting clown. It looks like a face of "Oh I got caught". Love the Watermelon.
    My Ruby Link for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you still have power. That's a lot of rain coming down. Your Kachina doll is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww great job of you guys, what a great team the two of you.

    Hope you can take a peek on my ruby tuesday, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Native and appreciate your doll. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The clown is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - glad Hermine spared you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So neat, Anni....you and hubby did a great job.

    When we lived on the Navajo reservation several years back, I bought a couple of Kachina dolls. They aren't my favorite things from the Indians...but I wanted at least a couple. I like the rugs, pottery and baskets more. I'm glad to have the dolls, tho.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much to do on the computer sure glad I had a chance to read about the kachina doll.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. good thing that the hurricane slowed down..the Kachina Doll looks interesting. happy RT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hubby is very talented !

    Fortunately you have no serious damages with "Hermine" I had an aunt her name was Hermine, everybody called her "Miene". An ugly German name, !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you weathered the storm well. Love your clown katchina -- perfect for Ruby Tuesday (or any day).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I'm glad that's all that happened. Great photo. Is it always that dark at 6 am there? Great RT photos my friend. I love the clown holding the watermelons. Excellent. Keep safe for the rest of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad Hermine was gentle.

    Great doll you and hubby made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you made it through the storm alright with no injuries or flooding! I bet it'll be a good time to go beachcombing?

    Hugs XX
    Barbara
    Moore Whimsies

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praising God that you are safe sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, So glad that you are okay. Earl came up the east coast and hit the Maritimes with a vengence, even though it had been downgraded to a tropical storm. We got heavy torrential rain and high winds over the weekend. The wind was still with us today. However, it was a lot warmer and actually got quite hot this afternoon. Now a cold front is moving in. I hadn't heard a thing about Hermine until tonight. I came here to find out if you had posted anything about it.

    Drop by the Nook to find out the experience Brandon had on the first day of school.

    Take care and be safe.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow I must have known thanks for this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad to hear that Hermine didn't leave any flooding or other damages behind her! I enlarged the picture you had taken from your porch and I could really see the rain...wow!!

    Oh how I love the Clown Kachina Doll you two made, it's awesome. I had never heard of those before but now I know:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. There have been so many storms around the states! I forgot that you live in one of the main paths of hurricanes. Glad you didn't suffer too much! Love that Kachina doll! Never seen one before. LOL!! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute doll, not that much rain, huh?

    ReplyDelete

.