my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...words! They just BLOGGLE the mind!!



My own personal THURSDAY THEORY.

Okay, here's a thought for y'all!! We all know that spoken words came long before the written words! Right? Right. Now think of this if you will....of course there are many languages to consider. For instance there are words in the English language that have so many extra letters in them that are SILENT. Such as TWO. The 'w' is silent. But there are also, to and too. Oh, and not to forget the word preceding two as you count....ONE...there is a "W" pronounced and there isn't the "W" in the word at all. Then, let's use the example of the double "L" in Spanish or Mexican languages...most times it's pronounced as a "Y" as in the word YET....the desert plant CHOLLA [pronounced choya] comes to mind. Or the "X" and "J" pronounced as the sound of "H"....Mexico; me JEE coh. Yet, there is the animal LLAMA and the first "L" is pronounced yet the second "L" is silent - never to be pronounced YAMA. In French, we have OUI. [pronounced "we"]..meaning 'yes'...but the three letters in the word aren't even close to the phonetic pronunciation. Or a silent letter often used in the French language is the "S"....or the aux in French is pronounced like a long "O" [i.e., Bordeaux] ---or the oux as in roux [pronounced roo]. And to confuse us even more so you have the Spanish tilde...the ~ symbol. Which if you read in a word it could mean a whole different thing as apposed to a word spelled the very same without!! Or perhaps the French cedilla...the 'c' with a 'tail'....ç. Of course if you know languages you know that the cedilla always means it's pronounced as the letter S. Not to mention some of the ligatures, or dipthongs!!!---the double formed letters...such as Œ or æ. Accented, dotted above, or hundreds of added features to a certain letter. WHO...HOW...AND WHY did the people come up with the logic to the usage of certainties?

Reason I am posting about this, I was doing a bit of added research for myself on the ship's name that so impressed me from touring the docks over the holiday weekend at the beginning of the month. I wanted to know how to pronounce it in Spanish, and I wanted to know its meaning....

Now, those are examples of the written and spoken languages...but have you ever wondered just HOW the words that were spoken long before the written words...just how the heck were these scholars coming up with spelling vs. pronunciation?!! Why then, were the words not actually formed as they were phonetically pronounced in the first place? Cuauhtémoc = firstly, it's pronounced kwou-TAY-mahk - in translation to English if roughly means "Descending Eagle" But interestingly enough he was also the last ruler of the Aztec Aborigine nation. Executed for treason and became a Mexican Hero.


Just a little added note here. So many times I've had to spell out words for Bud over the years. I always start off with telling him to look it up...he says "How can I look it up when I don't know how to spell it?". Which always gets me to spell it out for him. His motto when it comes to proper spelling...."When in doubt, add an "E". Hence, my theory this week is: Maybe he is a direct descendant of the scholars from long long long ago when they decided to write out words for reading the language and adding extra, unnecessary letters.



POSTED: Thursday, July 22, 2010
around midnight

7 comments :

  1. English is the worst language for inconsistencies between spelling and pronunciation, supposedly because it is made up of a lot of different languages. Also some of the silent letters were not always silent, for example gh (high, night) used to have a guttural sound in earlier times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words can be pretty difficult! I've often wondered why some words are spelled the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'morn, Anni ~ Food for thought, maybe Bud is ...

    Have a lovely day ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it.
    I always have wondered to how they came up with some of the words.
    I hear people say that the English language is the hardest to do. Now you have told us.
    My hubby does the extra E a lot too.
    If I took his grocery list to the store I would never find the items he has written down.
    Have a great Thursday and thanks again for another informative Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. even more so... who decided which words go to which. i have often wondered about this exact topic. I like how you also integrated other language problems, not just English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not good at word formation and stupid me not always using the roght word as spelling.

    ReplyDelete

.