“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Psssst....don't look now, but there's a flasher on the shore!!....





My six words:

Plant a rose, thistles won't grow!!

I finished reading a children's classic this past week; "The Secret Garden". I really enjoyed the positiveness of the whole work. So many good subliminal messages throughout the story. A youngster should have the opportunity to read it. Even I, as a grown-up, got some good from it. Finding today that there are so many negatives in this world, it was a warm, wonderful, feeling I had while reading this book. Of course, I love to garden, and I love best of all flower gardens and their beauty. I continually associated myself with Mary's and Dickon's passion for making the garden come alive. But, I also found myself thinking that the world is so much like Colin. Downtrodden, hateful, mad at everything surrounding us, until the day comes when all is perfect, and strength returns. Lovely, and loving story! Anyway, the quote from the book is:
    When you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow
For me, this is a message we should learn to live by....see the world as a beautiful place. If you do...the ugliness, the prickly thorns of a thistle won't get in your way. Of course, I remember in school, after reading a required book, according to the teachers I never did figure out the whole gist of a story -- according to them, but my way of thinking is my way and there's no changing me. That is how I interpreted the quote.

- - -<><><>- - -

CAMERA CRITTERS






I have never EVER seen these kind of goings-on with a heron before! I first pictured in my mind a "Seashore Flasher" making headlines!! Then, I thought they are worshiping the sun...afterall, it WAS just after sunrise. Then, logic took 'hold of me and I realized that perhaps this is a way they groom themselves or perhaps drying their wing feathers?!! Needless to say, I really like my first instinct...the Corpus Christi Flasher making the 10 PM news.








- - -<><><>- - -

'FLASHER' WEEKEND FUNNIES

Three old ladies are sitting on a park bench when a flasher comes by and opens his trench coat right in front of them. The first old lady has a stroke, the second old lady has a stroke, but the third old lady couldn't reach that far.









*see note below


















* NOTE:
COMIC STRIP USED WITH PERMISSION according to this written agreement . In part:

Use by a private individual, not for commercial gain, at one URL for a period of up to 1 year, where that URL is part of a blog, a personal page on a social networking website or a posting on a web forum. A blog is defined as a regularly updated weblog, updated at least weekly and presented in a "diary" format sorted by date. It may be hosted on the user's own web server, or through a third party blogging service such as Blogger.com.
CREDIT REQUIRED: YES
LICENSE FEE: XXXX [NONE]

Copyright in this image is owned by the original artist, rights to reproduce or use the image may be obtained from www.CartoonStock.com.



POSTED: Saturday, July 17th, 2010
12:10 A.M.

38 comments :

  1. I love your way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote.
    Wish we had herons around here.
    Loved the joke and the funny, thanks for a great start of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super ‘6WS’ post – love the Secret Garden too & its message. Also the Flasher cartoon above!

    It’s such great fun reading posts like yours on Saturdays!

    Happy Six Word Saturday,

    LOLA:)

    PS Mine this time is HERE. Hope you can join me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've given me my laugh for the morning! Loved the crazy heron, the joke and the cartoon!
    PS - Secret Garden has always been one of my favorites. I always thought it would be grand to have secret garden of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! The comic was funny and your pics are great!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

    Hope your Saturday is wonderful and blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the variety of your blog. great visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photo of the heron like the last photo, Love the story about the garden and I learn a lesson from it too.lol

    I really tried to follow or do the proverb "Do unto others sothat others will do unto " Be positive and you can Achieve. It's like live life as if it's your last day. Be good always. Nice story Ms. Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the cartoon funny! Your six words were very inspiring too! Happy Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so funny? I had to think before I caught your joke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that book on my bookshelf... and you just might have inspired me to read it (got a few more first to finish).

    I'm watching the news for the heron report :)Gotta keep our beaches family friendly, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for making me laugh today, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~i haven't read the secret garden in years....a wonderful book and l♥ve your thoughts to share...these pictures are stunning...wishing you a wonderful weekend...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is much to be learned, even adults, from books, even children's books. We should never stop reading or learning, or tending our roses. Insightful review; I read The Secret Garden as a child but, sadly, don't remember much from it. Sounds like I should pick it up again for a refresher.

    My 6Ws - Illegal Immigrants Say: Take Our Jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch....
    Loved your photos Hootin' Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the feathered flasher! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting set of shots. He certainly is "flashing". Also love the message in the header

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, that reminds me that once a friend and I were walking our babies in their strollers and a guy jumped out of a bush and opened his raincoat. Instead of being scared we bursted out in laughter and my friend said" that's all you have to show ?" the poor guy disappeared like a flashlight !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoahahah! the third old lady is... never mind :D I had fun laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HA! That is so funny!! What a silly bird! Showing off --

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL................. he can flash me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love The Secret Garden.

    I'm sitting here wondering why I have never heard of the Seashore Flasher species...AND then I got it!!! Too funny.
    The cartoon is hilarious.
    Happy PS
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG your flashing heron fits in so beautifully with your flashing jokes. The poor third old lady LOL. This whole post was hysterical. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the quote about tending roses and thistles.

    The heron is very funny, so is the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always wondered good one Happy weekend Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always make me smile. Love your early morning 'flasher' and the joke.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved your pictures of the heron and especially the Seaside Flashers..haha
    Pretty good to come up with that one.
    You made me want to read this book again and I don't think I have it in my bookcases but if I do I have a good one to read tonight.
    Thank you on your advice about opening emails. Most of my emails go to my spam but I guess because this was sent to me from Facebook it got through to my inbox. Your so right I don't normally open from people I don't know.
    When I stop my here I always wish I lived back at the coast. I was raised on it and miss it
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  27. G'eve Anni ~ What a hoot!

    Have a lovely summer's eve ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your new look blog. The heron flasher is a hoot. (oops a pun)
    I agree with your thoughts about the quote. Tanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing heron photos!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love the moto about life. cute cartoon. old ladies are wicked womwn have a good Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is the funniest thing! I have herons all around me and I've never, ever seen one take that stance. Great post! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL! What an interesting occurrence, and you were lucky enough to get a shot. Good deal!

    Love the sentiment from The Secret Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my gosh I don't know where you found this little goodie but is very cute so the flasher gets in ... the.. well.. end?
    hope your weekend was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wish we had herons here, lovely shots and thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  35. when i looked at the first pic i thought it was some kind of ray fish at first lol . how freaky!

    Tina from
    Mummy Diaries
    Gossip Avenue
    Travel Shack
    Game FreakZ

    ReplyDelete

.