my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The oldies but goodies....




click button to join
['zoom' setting INSTEAD OF MARCRO today]


These photos were taken a couple months ago. While out cleaning a flower bed out for Spring Cleanup...this conure parrot landed on the electrical wires above...I snapped this full view, then had time to zoom in on him while he watched me watching him, then flew off---






- - -<><><>- - -


Dear 'diary'... I seem to be on a music merry go 'round. I just posted about the remote selection boxes of my youth just yesterday, and now...here I am again, talking more music. I can't begin to understand how some of the songs today make it to the top 100! In fact...for the last decade or two it's been a puzzle for me. What happened to the good songs?!! It seems that the music culture has turned to a low of lows. At least in my opinion. Don't get me wrong...I love music. And some of the songs of the day aren't that bad...but it seems all you see anymore are the names like KeSha or Lady Gaga or Eminem....which brings me to their names. Oh boy. 'Nough said. Anyway, for me, music today is all the same. Same beat, same tones, same rhythms, same composition...and really close to the same, identical subjects. What happened to the good music of yesteryear? What happened to the songwriters and the composers that had music that was easy to listen to and comprehend....without the reference to such a rough living, heavy drinking or drugs or violence? Not to mention the singers of my generation and before, dressed halfway decent without the baggy blue jeans, the leather jackets, the high 'leaving nothing to the imagination' hiked hemlines or low cut bodices [or lack of in some cases]? Where are the songs that had class? Where are the singers that are proud of who they are, dressing with a bit of taste instead of the ungodly outfits they don to perform now-a-days? I was going through the Billboard's top 100...I couldn't believe my eyes. I couldn't believe what I read...all quite identical to the previous listed. Then, I came to #59. "Pretty Good at Drinking Beer". Of course, just by the title I knew it would be Country. Of course. Now I like Country as well as Classical, Oldies, Instrumental, Soundtracks, etc. But I had to stop and listen to this one....oh my. The song is recorded by none other than the same who said: God is great beer is good and people are crazy. To me, this shows quite a bit of mentality...or should I say deficiency of any mental capabilities----

I wasn’t born for diggin deep holes
I’m not made for pavin long roads
I ain’t cut out to climb high line poles
But I’m pretty good at drinkin beer

I’m not the type to work in a bank
I’m no good at slappin on things
Don’t have a knack for makin motors crank, no
But I’m pretty good at drinkin beer

So hand me one more
That’s what I’m here for
I’m built for having a ball
I love the nightlife
I love my Bud light
I like ‘em cold and tall

I ain’t much for mowin thick grass
I’m too slow for workin’ too fast
I don’t do windows so honey don’t ask
But I’m pretty good at drinkin’ beer

A go getter maybe I’m not
I’m not known for doin’ a lot
But I do my best work when the weather’s hot
I’m pretty good at drinkin’ beer

So hand me one more
That’s what I’m here for
I’m built for having a ball
I love the nightlife
I love my Bud light
I like ‘em cold and tall

I wasn’t born for diggin deep holes
I’m not made for pavin long roads
I aint cut out to climb high line poles
But I’m pretty good at drinkin beer
I’m pretty good at drinkin beer

[Spoken] o hand me one more boys…
That’s what I’m here for



Lyrics found here


What happened to the songs that made you think? What happened to the songs that no words are needed? Instrumentals that give you gooseflesh while you listen to them? What happened to those that made you feel like living? What happened to the songs that you could listen to the lyrics and say to yourself, this is excellent? I guess it has to do with each generation maybe? Perhaps the kids today like 'their' songs because of all the associations...maybe reminiscent of video games? I don't know really. All I know is my theory is...the songs from generations past are much much better!! I bet, literally, if Beethoven were to hear the songs that are recorded today, he WOULD BE ROLLIN' OVER!! I'm thinking right now...a Country song done by Roy Clark. Yesterday. It begins "Yesterday when I was young, the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue. I teased at life as if it were a foolish game, the way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame". Now really, this you can see yourself in the lyrics. At least I can. Or a theme song like Summer Place. By Percy Faith [I'm sure some have never even heard of him]...."There's a summer place Where it may rain or storm Yet I'm safe and warm For within that summer place Your arms reach out to me And my heart is free from all care For it knows." The instrumental of this soundtrack is so soothing. So wistful...so relaxing. It's tastefully done. Gives you a dreamlike feeling all over your body. Or the song from Picnic...the most sexy dance for me still, on cinema..."Moonglow" ----oh boy, I'll always remember that moonglow gave me you---how could you not fall deep with emotion? Or maybe an oldie like Stardust, or perhaps "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca----------play 'em again Sam, play 'em all!!



POSTED: Monday, July 12th, 2010
12:45 A.M.

23 comments :

  1. Amen, I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wasn´t easy to get that shot, was it? nice and colorful pic-happy day;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky that you get birds as exotic and pretty just living wild near you. This one's lovely.

    As for the music? Don't get me started! There is some excellent music out there, it's just a little harder to find as the pop charts are swamped with just one genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have been very quick to catch before he went off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice parrot and flying free ? I only know them in cages !
    Love your new profile picture !

    ReplyDelete
  6. angelcel My point exactly. Altho, I've only found the good songs when I'm on an 'oldies' station. The songs of today are all the same...mainly having to do with one subject which I'm not going to mention. I know others will disagree, but there aren't enough songs of superior quality compared to those that make it on the top 100 lists!!! And that being true, those that ARE good today, are remakes...recorded from the classics of yesteryear...such AS Moonglow or Bewitched...the songs from long ago. And they ARE STILL excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! Don't get me going about Lady GaGa (even the name is a contradiction) or Eminem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, boy - I am with you all the way on this one! I can't imagine what will survive from this generation's music - after the Christmas concert was over, we were invited to come back and sing the spring show - 80s music. I couldn't think of a single 80s song that I liked - and the last two decades have been even worse! The songs you mentioned that make you feel good all over - I agree with every word. It is sad that my little grandgirls will never know the good stuff unless I play it for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn Well, I'll say it here for you...."Play it for them Dawn" "Play As Time Goes By". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, love the parrot. What a special moment when you saw him. You were smart to get a picture so that you could remember him. He is so colorful. Thanks for sharing. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. He has such pretty colors! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni...love your parrott macro. I agree with you on todays music. My hubs n I are stuck in the oldies and are happy with that. It's nice to be able to understand the words of a song and ones that tell a story. Todays artist take "Freedom of speech" to a new level most of it is vulgar and sends such a bad unsavory message to our young. Oh my...I have become my Mother!! as her words echo in my head. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Anni,
    Have you checked out Pandora.com where you can create a radio station with your kind of music.
    Also, how about this song:

    "This is my temporary home
    It's not where I belong.
    Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
    This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going.
    I'm not afraid because I know this is my
    Temporary Home."
    Its country! Some of them are good, some are great.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mama Bear Well, my point is, they just don't record and publish the GOOD songs any more...it's always the OLDIES...today, you don't hear anything other than hip hop, rap, and rock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous shot!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/07/macro_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure do agree with you on this. I listen to the oldies on Sirius on the weekend and I crank it up and while cleaning catch myself remembering things from the past.
    I really can't stand the song Pray for You.
    I turn it down everytime it comes on and it seems it is played a lot. I think it sends the wrong message to this younger generation about what you should pray for.
    Thanks I truly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a cutie, is it a rosella or parakeet?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Matilda...no, as I posted above, it's a parrot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. never had a parrot in my yard, those live in small cages over here. I like your thoughts about music and lyrics and I agree to most of it

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's tough to capture birds without a very long lens and a tripod. Nice try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Music for me - is fundamental - it can change my mood - it can help me laugh - feel loved - and even cry. I especially like country - but I do agree with you - lately the music seems different -

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice shot of the parrot - looks like a chrismassy parrot with green and red.

    ReplyDelete

.