my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


"Your TAX dollars at work"....



Click either button to Join


How many times have you seen a huge ugly billboard type sign along some construction area that shows the city is actually making use of your tax dollars? Road repair, detours, new curb and gutter, etc. etc. etc. How many times have you gone to vote on a particular item during special bond elections or voicing your opinion by vote yay or nay? To most of you, including me, it's a given right here in America. Well, a couple of years ago an idea came across to us that we should have a new fountain built. It's taken a little over a year for it to come to pass...but, it's now complete and it looks kinda nice. The location of the new addition to the seawall is near the end of the road...and it's in front of the cultural center where several museums, auditorium for entertainment that comes to the city, ice hockey arena, the Federal Courthouse, the Port of Call, and so forth....

Bud and I on our morning walk this past week, took a jaunt downtown and walked along the seawall where the Interstate highway begins at the shore. The news one evening this last week of May had a segment that told us residents that the fountain was now open to the public. I hear it is lighted at night with an array of colors for the fountain spray. Before you actually get to the fountain itself, the city built a huge arbor....I noticed while walking along the walkway the arbor will eventually be covered with trumpet vines...it'll be a huge piece of covered shading when it all matures. I'm sure it'll be pretty. At the fountain area, there are tons of newly planted palm trees [they were still tied up at the fronds when we walked there], and low growing flowers and shrubberies. But let me get to the new fountain. You can actually walk 'into' the fountain area...sit, get sprayed, [there are several different types of spray action...some jutting out to the center, while others shoot straight up, high in the air...all synchronized by different timers]. I enjoy the view looking out to sea-----






- - -

Now, there is another aspect of this particular area [just blocks away from the new fountain] that is something I detested...and I was so glad to hear that the monstrosity was going to finally be torn down....demolished!!! Someday, when I'm in the right kind of mind frame, I'll write a little ditty on that too. This little eye sore took longer than five years to resolve. And demolition is finally underway, and I'm now a happy camper!!!! Maybe now the city's slogan can once again be "The Sparkling City by the Bay".






POSTED: Wednesday, June 2nd 2010
12:45 A.M.

31 comments :

  1. Okay I must be missing something here. I think it's a beautiful fountain. You don't like because you are thinking what it's going to look like when the vegetation matures? hmmm I say give it a chance. Ya might like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thom No....I love the fountain. It's great. And the arbor will be really nice. I think. It's a whole 'nother story I ended with today that irks me still today. About demolition of a rotted old building that needed torn down...and the city fought with several groups. Even it came to a vote of the citizens...to tear it down. Then the group that was fighting went to AUSTIN [the capital of TEXAS] and got an injunction to delay the demolition....costing us taxpayers thousands of dollars because of it. Long story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty and fun area! I bet it will have lots of visitors this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it's gonna be great! You'll have to share the shots with us again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! And what a wonderful place to walk! I am headed on mine right now. Thanks for looking at my post. Have a blessed day. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice job they did! Is Padre Island on the Gulf? I hope you are not affected directly the the horrible oil spill! What a terrible tragedy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RNSANE Yes, Padre Island is in the Gulf! [there are two actually, South Padre and North Padre] And no, they are not affected by the oil spill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fountains lovely -- obviously time for us to re-visit CC. I'm trying to think what the eyesore is that was torn down. I tend to forget the icky stuff about a place that we liked and just remember the good. There isn't any city that is perfect, that's for sure.

    I think the fountain was a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to have something like that to relax by. I can truly envision it when it's mature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful new area to play in and look at, Anni. Glad to hear you are now a happy camper with the old and ugly being torn down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the 3rd shot down, I wish we have some of those around here. Any kind of fountain will do and will make me happy, LOL!
    Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty fountain.
    Altho we used to come to Port Aransas every summer, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in CC. The ship, the aquarium and somewhere that was really great to eat...that is about the extent of it. A pretty city!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen dancing waters before, and they are so pretty. I have not seen any of this style., No doubt it was a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a really cool fountain! I love the view out to sea, too. I'd love to see more pictures when they untie the fronds! ;) I'll be looking forward to reading about the eyesore that's being torn down! ;)

    WW: The Pond, One Year Later

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome shots! Have a nice day!

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the images, wow,
    very stunning post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. no doubt this is a lovely spot, especially when those palm trees are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never knew the story behind the doll. Very interesting! What a wonderful photo to catch the bird and the flower--Isn't God grand!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome shots!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/06/wordless.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shots! Perfect for Watery Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is going to look really nice once all the plantings take off. Thank's for stopping by today. Have a good day...Julian

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HA: Thanks for setting me straight. I get ya now. I thought it was all the look of the fountain. Now that I read what you said it all makes sense. I should have put that together last night when I read this the first time because this morning I do see that's the message you were getting at. :) It just pisses me off when they do that kind of thing also and spend our money that way. How ridiculous :) But you know it all comes down to us, not people like me and you that vote every chance we get, but to those that don't and the same asses get put back into office and being able to continue on with their absurd ways of governing :) Sorry typo in the first one LOL I caught it for a change LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad they are tearing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos, Anni! The fountains and walkway along the sea, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck the demolition! And let the beauty shine again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nothing worse than being sprayed when you are enjoying a walk. Pleased you are getting new greenery. The trees will provide great shade.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment. You left the impression your photos are not so good ... they are great! Love your fountain pics. What a wonderful place to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful photos, I would be walking by those trees and fountain several times a day. Thanks for stopping by, come back anytime.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

.