my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Rest easy....dark chocolate IS HEALTHY!!


Click either button to Join


THURSDAY THIRTEEN

Over the last two decades, scientists, doctors and nutritionists have experimented with people - volunteering for nutritional chocolate! If only I had known. :::sigh::: People eating chocolate, my oh my. The best and most healthy of chocolates is DARK CHOCOLATE. With at least 70% cocoa.






FACTS:

1] The consumption of high-cacao-content chocolate [dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate] has been correlated with positive health benefits from flavonol antioxidants.

2] FLAVONOL is: Flavonoids (specifically flavanoids such as the catechins) are "the most common group of polyphenolic compounds in the human diet and are found ubiquitously in plants".[4] Flavonols, the original bioflavonoids such as quercetin, are also found ubiquitously, but in lesser quantities. Both sets of compounds have evidence of health-modulating effects in animals which eat them.

3] Chocolate is plant-derived, as are the fruits and vegetables recommended for a healthy heart. [stated here by Dr. Engler -PhD, RN]

4] The longest clinical trial to date to show improvement in blood vessel function from consuming flavonoid-rich dark chocolate daily over an extended period of time. [news release]

5] Consuming dark chocolate daily...Increases blood flow in the artery. Better blood flow is good for your heart.

6] Flavoniods keep cholesterol from gathering in blood vessels.

7] Flavoniods reduce the risk of blood clots.

8] Flavoniods slow down the immune responses that lead to clogged arteries.

9] "Can't you get more and better flavoniods from other foods?" Surprisingly, the answer is "not really." Engler says that of dark chocolate.

10] THERE IS A CATCH TO THIS: Remember to EXERCISE daily if you begin a chocolate regiment in your diet intake. Chocolate IS loaded with calories.

11] The health benefits of dark chocolate may include lowering high blood pressure, German researchers report. [again, this is only beneficial with balanced diet and exercise]

12] Not all chocolate is heart healthy. White chocolate, which a Harvard researcher points out is "not really chocolate at all," and milk chocolate may expand the hips rather than help blood flow.

13] LDL (bad) cholesterol remained the same or slightly lower, and HDL (good) cholesterol increased.


- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY THUNKS

1. Have you ever performed the Heimlich Maneuver on someone or had it performed on you? Well, since you asked, it reminds me of a joke about two TEXANS:
    Two Texans were having the Blue Plate Special at their favorite truck stop when they heard this awful choking sound. They turned around to see a lady, sitting a few bar stools down from them, turning blue from the Armadillo burger she ate too fast.

    The first Texan said to the other, "Think we oughtta help?"
    "Yep, reckon so", says the second.

    The first Texan gets up, walks over to the lady and asks, "Can you breathe?"
    She shakes her head, "no".

    "Can you speak?" he then asks.
    She shakes her head, "no", again.

    With that, he helps her to her feet, lifts up her skirt, and starts to lick her on the butt.

    She is so shocked, she coughs up the obstruction and begins to breathe again, with great relief.

    The first Texan turns back to his friend and says with a smile, "Funny how that Hind Lick Maneuver works every time!"

2. Do you have a red room in your home? (Either painted red or red curtains etc.) Let's see....no, not since the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. [it cleaned up real nice]

3. Have you ever felt like banging your head against the wall? All the time. Haven't you ever heard of getting some sense knocked into your head? That's the only way I know how. Ask me if I bashed a few other heads against the wall!

4. Reports came out this week that Michael Jackson was gay. Are you shocked, don't believe it, don't care or felt he was all along? Who knows? Who cares? But I heard he always drove by elementary schools really slow...law abiding citizen that he was. [kidding]

5. What's the dumbest thing you have done after a breakup with a S/O? I've never had a breakup....and if you really care, I am proud of my standing in life. 42 years with one man in just 5 short days; our anniversary.

6. If Berleen and Bud are standing on the roof of a one story building and decide to throw water balloons at Kimber walking down below on the sidewalk, what color balloon hits her first? Black one...the next will be blue! Black and blue is quite logical don't you think? Afterall, we're supposed to be thunking.

7. What are the wildest, craziest pajamas you own? I don't wear 'em much --- too hot here. But, in Colorado I had some prison striped ones with feet in 'em. A real hoot 'cause I wore 'em ONLY when the kids would have sleepovers at our house, embarrassed them that their mom was fun to be around.

8. Have you ever ridden in a sidecar on a motorcycle? No...just the back seat behind the driver...the best bug shield going is the driver while you're on the back. Trust me.

9. Do/did you go party on Cinco De Mayo, and if so what color was the bartender's shirt? Let me answer this in Spanish to go with the mood of it all....No.

10. Why does a hat have a bill? You fail to mention what KIND of hat? A pimp's hat, a fisherman's hat, or the ladies with red hats...like the high society ladies in the club. Different hats for different strokes -billies.

11. If you were a WWE professional wrestler, what would your stage name be? Buxom Moolah, I checked!! --








link for ladies



link for gents














12. How many keys do you have on your keyring? Dunno f'sure....guessing about 7 or 8.

13. What is the oldest picture you currently have in your home? What year was it taken and who/what is the photo of? My grandmother's wedding portrait. 1896 I believe. Again, this ol' broad is too lazy to take it down off the wall...the date is written on the back. And if I was to photograph it to post here, it'd be the oldest AND newest.





- - -<><><>- - -


I received this lovely award from Anne yesterday. I always appreciate the blog friends that stop by to show appreciation of my blogging with recognizing me. Being that awards come from peers...it always brings so much pleasure. Thank you kindly, Anne, for thinking of me!!! You most definitely brought some sunshine into my life.









POSTED: Thursday, May 6th, 2010
12:30 A.M.

35 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing this to us...

    Also,Thanks for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buxom Moolah great answers LOL. I've heard that joke before. Funny then and funny now. Love it :) Very clever with the hat I must say :) Great answers. Oh I wish I liked chocolate...but alas...I'll just have to take my chances :) Oh and BTW Brilliant with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre :) Have a wonderful Thursday :) You rock!!!! Buxom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap...congrats on the award as well :) I was so enamored with your new name I forgot LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dark chocolate!
    The Heimlich joke is hilarious.
    My wrestling name is Ebony Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for confirming the healthy benefits of eating the right chocolate! The timing is perfect for Mother's Day. It will go good with her new rotor tiller... which does the exercise part!

    Also love the humor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocalatte...Yum Yum now I know more about my choco :) Thanks to you....

    Also loved the Thursday Thunks LOL especially the joke :)

    Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark chocolate works for me. Probably exercise would also work but it's not nearly as much fun as eating dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your answers, although we used to use jokes like #1 to describe people from New Mexico lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning, fellow Bird watcher. I loved seeing all of these because I've never seen most of them. I sure hope the oil spill doesn't kill our water fowl and sea life.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm all for eating more chocolate. Thanks for the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chocolate but have recently sworn off it - because I have high blood pressure and need to lose weight. The calories, I decided, were not worth whatever benefits I might be getting with the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was great. I loved the facts about chocolate. I bought some Ghiradelli Tuesday.

    Daughter and I went to Casa Blanco for lunch on Cinco De Mayo.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, does that mean that if I want my new heart arteries to stay clear of cholesterol I get to eat all the dark chocolate I want? Mmm! Wish it were so. I love dark chocolate.

    Enjoyed all of your thunks as well. Have a terrific day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, Mary.... Now you didn't read all the 'fine print'!!! You can't eat ALL you want 'cause you must exercise too. That's the rudiments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW.. the first joke..really had me going..
    Great answers, Anni!
    Happy Anniversary in advance!
    Mine is here
    Happy Thursday!
    Wishing you an advance HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a fan of chocolate myself. Buxom moolah? Why not Hootin' Anni???

    Have fun- oh I saw something on TV about the turtles by you. Made me think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ROFL laughing at the Texans! Great joke. Happy Thursday, my friend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow... Like I need another excuse to eat chocolate of any kind? LOL!

    Happy TT!
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by this morning. Love your post. I have a Chinese red guest room. It's the only room we haven't repainted since moving in twenty years ago!

    Congratulations on your award!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. And yet chocolate is my quickest route to a heart attack. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for the info about chocolates! I used to love chocolate but I don't really take dark chocolate. Recently, I started eating dark chocolate, and I'm now on 60%, slowly getting used to the taste and will eventually transition to 70% and above.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hind lick...cute!

    My wrestling name came up as Calamity Woman. I like the one I thought up myself better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmmm chocolate Excellent TT

    ReplyDelete
  24. there's nothing like the Texas Coast during Spring Migration - lucky you! I lived in Texas the past three years during spring and summer and miss it big time for birds! looks like you saw some great ones - I love roseate spoonbills --SUCH cool birds. Enjoyed all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm happy to hear chocolate is so good for us and dark chocolate's ok as long as it's flavored. Unflavored, yech!

    BTW, love this template!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also wish that I could have volunteered. I love choc of any kind.
    I so enjoyed your list, really like #5& 7.
    Happy anniversary and Happy Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great chocolate facts - I love really really dark chocolate!

    The thunks are great! Love the Hind lick joke.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hiya Anni - Love all your Thursday posts.
    Congrats on the upcoming anniversary.
    It's going to be 28 for us soon.
    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  29. I absolutely LOVE your blog design! And your posts are pretty interesting, too........... DARK CHOCOLATE..YES!

    Had a great visit and will return.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gotta love reading the benefits of chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good answers. I like the wrestler name. I did one too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah for dark chocolate lovers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So what the docs are saying is it's ok to use plant-based things? Pot, coke, heroin - it's all plant based. Hmmmmm I think I just uncovered the cause of all addictions - even coffee - it's PLANTS!! Buxom Moolah - that's cute. Our first cow was called Moolah years and years ago (still my e-mail address)and because they gave me the initials BXM at work for my computer - some people called me buxom. Oh the similarities in life huh? hee hee

    ReplyDelete

.