my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




"I gotta find Bubba!....Here he is----"


click button to join

"Run Forrest, Run"
Inside the Science Museum Wing, with my cellphone camera set at high zoom and walking near...to get up close and more personal, I snapped this shot. Texas is reportedly well stocked with these creatures...alligators. I liked how this photo turned out...the glass eye looks real to you? Maybe, kinda sorta? I do know for one thing, if it blinked, the other patrons would've been slipping in my feces with me running all the way outta the place! FYI...obviously it didn't make a move 'cause I stayed all day---[image watermarked]

- - -

[end of Macro Monday...a continuation of some museum chat from me below and another photo...if you want to leave now, you can if you'd like, but you'll be missing out---]

COMMENT HERE then, if you really must leave so early---

- - -

Bud and I spent several hours touring the exhibits of our local History and Science museum. From the outside of the museum, you'd think there isn't much there....by the exterior view of the building. But, once you get in through the doors you'll be amazed at the exhibits!! To the left of the entrance is all History. To the right is all Science. Of course the History is nearly all about the area around the Texas Coast. The Science is more or less the science of around the world...tho, some local exhibits show details of Marine life, Oil, and territorial animals and birds. I love it in this section....rocks and shells!!! It boggles my mind at such an array of so many things to see. Trust me, you can easily spend a day in this museum and still not see 'everything' there is to see. Also, from the History side, there is an outdoor exhibit of two of the infamous Christopher Columbus Ships from 1492. Replicas...and built in conjunction with Spain because this is where the funds for his travels to the New World were given. The third ship, the Nina, is permanently docked at the Marina. The two at the museum, the Pinta and Santa Maria, are under extensive restoration and tours are off limits and/or minimal. Bud and I did go aboard tho...to take photos. We were allowed there with a guide only since the ship was being worked on as we toured. Only the top deck was accessible. Once indoors again, there is the history of Native Americans, LaSalle [French Navigator] and the shipwreck of LaBelle near Matagorda Bay, also, a large exhibit of The San Esteban [Saint Stephen] the oldest archeological investigation in the Western Hemishpere [1552-shipwrecked off Padre Island --near Corpus Christi's National Seashore], plus Texas Ranching and lifestyles to the very first Buccaneer Days Queen's Gown and more...

This section of the museum, the Kenedy [not misspelled] Family, is under a massive revamping also. So most of the artifacts and antiques were packed to be returned to a new and better showcasing. In time. Since the "Buc" Days [1st observed in 1938] is a very prominent celebration annually, I think the curators thought it best to have the inaugural Queen's Gown remain on the floor.
As you can tell, tho the photo really doesn't do it justice, the gown is heavily adorned with sequins, jewels, and a rather large, long train. I can only imagine the weight of it. Try walking in that? No, not me!! But it is much more pretty in real time than this photo from my cellphone.



Throughout the week to come, I am going to try and 'tie in' to my weekly memes with more photos of the museum's visit. As always I took way too many pictures and I will sort through them all beforehand. So, if you're interested, do come back each day. I'll have a little bit of everything for your interest --- I hope.



Tomorrow PART TWO ---everything pink and ruby reds! [inside the museum]




POSTED: [early on Sunday] Monday, May 24th, 2010
12:01 A.M.




31 comments :

  1. The "Eye of the Alligator". LOL it's so real looking. That museum sounds fantastic. I have to say that dress looks like it belongs on a Drag Queen. ROFLMAO. But hey it's only my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is "We the Living" about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks real, nice capture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cellphone does a wonderful job with pictures!! Mine is a very simple one, but it has a radio feature, which I love :)
    Amazing close-up of that eye...and such an interesting visit, I am sure you have zillions of pictures to share, happy Monday, it's a holiday here (but not a national one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mar Ya, that's one reason why I bought this cellphone...'cause of its high resolution camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterfly --the book, We the Living, is an autobiography of the author, Ayn Rand. Her best known work is Atlas Shrugged.

    I actually finished the book weeks ago, but never went in and changed what I'm reading now. LOL

    Guess I should update that, and I will... I'm reading another Henry VIII novel...which I'll go add to my sidebar.

    Thanks for mentioning that in your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Museums are interesting. That eye does look real, I'm glad it didn't blink!

    I hope you are not too much affected by the oil spill (That's not a strong enough phrase, but I don't know another one...) and that you have plans in case leaving the coast becomes advisable...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice way to share the museum tour -- rather than overwhelm us all at once. Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would rather look into a cat's eye than that of an alligator! Just yesterday I tried photographing just that, but the cat kept moving.
    So the best I can say is that it is a good shot of an unlikeable subject!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooooh, that eye........ scares me....!
    Interesting picture, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am SURE glad this guy didn't blink! I love the light reflections captured in that golden eye! I saw lots of alligators (in the wild) in Florida last year...if there was water there was most likely an alligator nearby. So...Texas too, hmmm...they are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks pretty much as real as the eye of my hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey nice work with your cellphone. Don't know if it's an iPhone but I'm quite envious of people with iPhones because of their photo apps. They're *ridiculously* expensive here however (especially as I wouldn't use the 'phone' aspect at all)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They eye looks real to me, though I've never gotten that close and personal with an alligator. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous shot of the eye...love the interesting shape of the pupil!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job capturing this with your cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photo but a scary eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That eye looks very real! Great shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The eye does look real!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ekkk don't like that eyes it is mean! ^_^ Love that dress very impressive! Happy Monday!

    Macro Monday~Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love museums and exhibits like this one, you must have had a great time. The alligator eye does look real, great shot.

    I will be back for your pink and ruby reds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool shot. He does look alive. Pretty amazing for a camera phone. they aren't always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for sharing i love to go to museums. rose

    ReplyDelete
  24. Zoomed way in on a camera phone? Great job, lady! I'd say it looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A cool shot of the gator eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't pass up on commenting about the header verse... Cheers!?! Brings back such memories ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am like you what about all the weight you would have on. I would not be able to walk.
    Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni,
    Do you think the 'Alice in Wonderland' movie is appropriate for 9 and 12 year olds. Tomorrow is Wonder Boy's Birthday. "Alice" is still showing at a theater near me and I am taking the children to the movies for his Birthday. "Shrek" is the only other one showing that will work. I've wanted to see "Alice" but haven't had anyone to go with. I may go see it by myself after taking them to see "Shrek".
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  29. I used to live in New Orleans and alligators are all over the levies!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Better be a glass eye if you are that close to the big teeth. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete

.