my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


...a birdin' we will go, a birdin' we will go-----!

...hi ho the derry-o, a birdin' we did go!!




Click either button to Join







POSTED along the highwaysALL over Coastal Texas






NOTE:
More photos of the day of birding CLICK HERE

A week ago, I had mentioned on my Wednesday post that Bud and I went birding for a short while over on Mustang Island...a little tourist area called Port Aransas. Port A to us locals. While driving down the highway, I first wanted to stop at Paradise Ponds...but, a flock of pink birds, called Spoonbills caught my eye and I had to make a u-turn off the highway and head back to the boardwalk that jutted out in the marshlands. There, I stopped and took a few photos while Bud was busy viewing through the binoculars. There were so many birds! All kinds!! [And, naturally, being me, I forgot to bring the handy dandy bird watchers guide with us...left it at home. Figures!!] This above is a resized image of a Spoonbill, feeding. --the image is that size to make for quicker loading time. I have lots of photos for today.








- - -

After spending about 30 minutes or so there with the Spoonbills, we got back in the car and drove a short distance to the Ferry Landing Cut Off where we drove back into a virtual swampland. It was like being in the Louisiana bayous. Hot, still, sweaty, full of insects and GREEN! Just absolutely beautiful. A great place to be and see some tropical waterbirds. Oh and a few turtles in the swamp too [as seen in the thumbnail image] Each and every birding area, shown on the local brochures, all have elevated boardwalks. So the bird watchers will not harm the precious environment for the birds' habitats and the eco-system. To me, that's excellent. No water moccasins or alligators at my feet. Well, not this day anyway.







- - -


The photos taken above are from Paradise Ponds. The gray, crowned birds you see, both adult and fledglings, are Yellow Crowned Night Herons The last photo, if you enlarge it, you can perhaps find the three of them? Two are quite obvious, but the third one could be a bit tricky to find. While there, we saw a couple of Carolina Warblers [but they're just too flitty for any photo moments.] We saw a black crowned night heron also, but was unable to photograph it since it went into the trees only to be sight unseen in no time flat. While following the heron's flight into the tree outcropping, I saw this cardinal, he sang to me. This area is reported to be a 'hot spot' for many species of birds. We also spied a Black and White Warbler in amongst the partially sunken trees...he too was hard to capture through the lens because he just wouldn't sit still long enough for me to focus...the thumbnail photo is what I accomplished to get...but blurred. I would recommend this area to anyone who would be interested in going on a bird hunt. Difficult to find if you're not a local in the area, but once you do find it...you'd be surprised at the Deep South atmosphere.


- - -


The next stop was along the huge Ship's Channel. This channel is where all the large cargo/oil tankers/ and humongous sailing ships have to go through to get from the Gulf to the Corpus Christi harbor. It's also where you'd catch the ferry to cross to the other side of Aransas...from Port A to Aransas Pass and Ingleside Texas where there is now a defunct Naval Base. It closed this year. So, along the Channel we drive back into a field of green. This area is 'new'. The town of Aransas is making/building a huge birding area, along with gazebos for us humans, paved walkways, and soon to be observation decks. Bud and I had to see what's happening there. One bird along the ponds' shoreline was a Long Billed Dowitcher, seen below, and another smaller sandpiper as the thumbnail:





- - -

So word of beak hasn't really sunk in, in that area yet. Yet, I say. I'm sure once the town has it complete, the birds will 'flock' into their new resort! Then, of course come to think about it, it's probably quite difficult for the feathered friends to squawk out the place...it's called "Port Aransas Nature Perserve at Charlie's Pasture"...that's a beak-full!!


- - -

The last place we stopped for the day was Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center. It too is a marvelous stop. It's another swamp...watering hole filled with low-lying marsh with a high water table, and cattail plants here there, everywhere! At this area, you have a small beautified landscape; with flowers and flowering trees along the walkway before you get to the elevated boardwalk that takes you into the marshlands. The pathway is marked 'strongly' regarding alligators. Of course my Bud, comical as he can be when he's not a grump....had to show off for the camera [the thumbnail]. After I perused the flowers and plant markings [they're all named for me by the use of metal nameplates!] and while enjoying walking below the canopy of the mesquites and willows, we came upon the beginning of the obervation's pathway. Out on the boardwalk we go....Our first spotting was the Cormorants...my guess is the Double Crested one since they thrive in Texas along the coastal areas. Of course, no pond area is complete without a red-winged black bird. A rarely seen WHITE pelican was spotted way off in the distance!! And along the boardwalk, near us by just mere feet in distance was a Male Shoveler Duck. While I was leaning over to focus on the Shoveler, Bud and I heard this deep throated frog-like croaking. But we knew it wasn't a frog....alligator calls!! Yes, indeedy.

Hear it here










- - -<><><>- - -

But, these are just to show a few. At the Birding center, we saw the most varied of species! There is one high observation deck that you climb about 30-40 feet up!! With the high powered telescope for distance viewing. While Bud and I were up there on top, looking down, seeing the swampy green colored water, we could see several muddied trails underneath the shallow waters...my educated guess is those were alligator tracks dragging themselves back into the reeds for the heat of the day for snoozing! Just a guess. And sadly, I didn't take a photo of them from the top. Maybe next time we go I'll think of showing y'all.

I'm not done yet tho...there are MORE photos to be seen if you'd like. I added some of the better ones over at my PHOTO blog! Take a side trip here, if you'd like to see more. There are more ducks, red birds, a beautiful close-up of another red winged black bird. CLICK HERE [should open in a new window] You'll see, cardinal, summer tanager, stilts, herons, egrets, red-winged blackbird, blue billed duck, and more!!




POSTED, May 5th, 2010
12:05 A.M.


HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!


53 comments :

  1. Dear Anni,

    Thanks for sharing all those beautiful bird photos. I also like that cutesy turtle there!

    I have a little something for you in my site... You might have one already, but I still want to share it with you...

    http://likeshowersonnewgrass.blogspot.com/2010/05/thank-you-michelle.html

    {{{Hugs}}}

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Cinco De Mayo to you as well :) I've never seen those Spoonbills before. They are awesome. I love all these photos. Excellent my friend :) Happy Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, beautiful birds..I love the color of the spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those pink birds! We don't get anything like that up here...but we do get the red wing black birds. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photos are amazing!! Superb!! You really captured them right and perfect!

    How I wish I could take my kids for bird watching..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome birdpictures,like the picture with the alligator warning hihi-
    The dog(German Shepherd) like the ducks, they even share the bread believe it or not.
    Have a nice day;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a lot of birds! I loved seeing all of them and hearing that alligator was a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great day in the filed. Do stay away from those gators!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like reading your story Ms. Anni, each photos are fantastic captured, I feel like I'm with you watching birding and spying them.lol The pink birds were stunning,your last photo, the 2 birds were visible I try to find the other one and I find it further on the branch it's little thing only. Thanks for sharing, I bit you really have fun that day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your pictures and story of your birding day. You got some amazing shots of birds. A wonderful day with hubby. Thanks for sharing it. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pictures of birds I have not seen before, such as the Spoonbill. We don't have those up here. Love the pink colours of thier feathers. Great Heron shots. We do have those here! Thanks for inviting me to see your birds and for visiting my blog as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness - what a treasure! Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! Now this is what I call birding extravaganza! There's plenty of them. I am new to birding but that spoonbill is pretty and two tone pink and white!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - those are fabulous pictures. You are a "goooood" photographer.

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just lovely Annie!
    You are quite a wonderful photographer!
    Happy Cinco de Mayo!
    Sparkly Hugs,
    Tobi and the Pixies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your collection of beautiful birds is amazing, Anni. I learned a lot about birding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Anni...you've shared lots of great pictures here. Love to see all photos, I can't choose :)

    Thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow. What great bird pics and i also enjoyed reading the text. thankyou for this good read with my morning cuppa.
    will be sure to check back often
    http://airiaartphotography.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, my eyes were full of these beautiful sigh of the birds and other critters Anni, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great variety of birds there. Love those herons on their branch perches.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know a lot about your birds! Shore birds are beautiful. I used to have a vacation in FL on the gulf. Your phots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic series of photos Anni, loved that trip you took us on. What a great area!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Anni this are pretty shots i like it. Thanks also for coming by my place...TC

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, it sure looks like you had a good time! I am going to have to tell a friend about this post, with all the herons and the spoonbills. I never think of cardinals as being southern birds - maybe because they appear on so many Christmas cards! I wish you had taken more photos of the flowers, but that is not really what you are into. I will find another blog for that...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni, spoonbills are some of my favorites! When I first moved here I went out to Ding Darling on Sanibel to observe the morning low tide feeding frenzy and mistook them for "some sort of short flamingos" LOL. Now I have an Audubon book so I don't make these kinds of mistakes. :)

    Tink *~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, amazing collection!!! I love the flamingos!!!! They are flamingos, right?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Roseate Spoonbills, they are so gorgeous! I got some great shots of them last year at Merritt Island on the east coast of Florida.

    You saw lots and lots of birds, but I laughed at the head in the alligator one, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very beautiful birds. I wish I can see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  29. fredamans No, they're not flamingos, but Spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Annie, beautiful pictures of those beautiful birds. Wow , all great shots. You must have had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. PARADISE POND! That's what I was trying to think of the other day when I commented on your Port A post. We stayed at the RV Park right across the street. YES. Thank you for jogging my memory and for sharing your beautiful bird adventure. I loved it. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. And P.S.: I didn't realize you had a photo-blog; I'll pop over there. Thanks for visiting FT-L and for your comment BTW.
    I have your blog on my google reader and so I check in on you every couple of days at least!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Whew! You have a fantastic eye for capturing these beauties. TY for sharing, I so love bird/animals pics.

    Have a blessed Mother's Day.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  34. What beautiful photos!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!...Luna

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just beatiful birds and pictures!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anni, I enjoyed your coastal birding post. There are great birds in Texas, especially during the migration time. I also checked out your other photos in your gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great shots Anni! So many birds! Love the turtle! Going to take a side trip to check out the rest of the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oohhh, I enjoyed going birding with you!!! Thank you for sharing all these beautiful photos. Love those birds with pink "skirts"!! they look like little girls wearing tutu, haha. Lovely creatures!

    Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  39. Those spoonbills look like wild flowers out there. What beautiful colors. I always see birds when I am NOT looking for them. Wow, you captured some great images of many...wonderful photos and I bet you had a great time being outdoors doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anni, all of your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I certainly enjoyed my visit to your blog this evening and that alligator call, very impressive.

    I'm glad you and Bud had such a great day. Be sure to stop over to my Writing Nook for an update on what I've been doing.

    Looking forward to an email when you have time.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have read an article about bird watching, and it said that it is one of the most interesting hobbies that some people do. And I think it really is, by just looking at your photos! I haven't tried it for once but I think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the visit.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm an avid bird watcher, Anni, so I loooooved this post. You can keep the alligators, though! If I'd have heard one, it would be running on water for me...back to an alligator free area.

    We have crocodiles here, although not down as far as I live, more towards the tropical coast. Having said that, one was seen strolling along the road about half a km up from were I live. I first heard it on the news that night...and was not impressed. That was pretty rare though...I have a feeling someone had it as a pet and let it go when it got too big...daft!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great photos, Anni. I love the turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful set! Your header is lovely.

    My Wordless Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  45. Never been a keen bird watcher but I love your photos

    ReplyDelete
  46. These wonderful photos are for National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful place to go birding! I haven't tried it but love to.. Great photos. Love the spoonbills.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Onpa Sinulla ihania lintu ja luontokuvia. Niissä on kauniita värejä. Täällä pohjoisessa ja Suomessa värit eivät ole kovin kirkkaita kuin muutamalla linnulla esim. fasaanilla, joita meidänkin pihassa on monia. Ne kyllä ei ole alkuperäisisä maamme lintuja vaan istutettuja tänne.Aivan ihana kuva tuo hootin annin titsikkakuva ja kissakaverikin vielä. Käynkin katselemassa blogiasi oikein ajan kanssa. Minulla on myös aiemmin perustettu päiväkirjamainen "kuva/runo-blogi: Astelen, katselen ..ihmettelen ", kurkkaapa sinne! Luontoblogit kiinnostavat minua.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I always pause to admire birds flying in formation... the amazing wonders of His works!

    ReplyDelete
  50. cool birds picture and I love the name!

    ReplyDelete

.