my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




I am a flower girl...flowers everywhere!
...exhibitionsim - double standards?!?




CLICK EITHER BUTTON to join


SHOW N TELL

It's been over five years now...I planted this lone iris not knowing if the coastal area would allow these to survive in the subtropics. When we were at Lowes Home Improvement just shortly after we relocated to Texas and in need of wood to get started on building the bookshelves in our office/library/computer room, they had a bin of bulbs on sale. Well, while Bud was placing his order to be delivered to our home, I dug through the goodies and found a netted bag of one...ONE only... blue iris. Around here, actually being subtropical, it's difficult to get anything with blue to bloom....even the Texas's own state flower, the Bluebonnet, is not too hardy here like farther up north; away from the sea. Since the more rare colored, sometimes patented, iris is quite costly, I picked it out and brought it home anyway. Yep, for the last five years, all it did was leaf out. Not to bloom. But I never gave up. Bud so many times wanted me to dig it out, but I said no. While out cleaning out the raised flower bed...where all the tropical plants are: like hibiscus, Mexican fireplant, duranta, and bird of paradise...I noticed a bud setting on! I was thrilled. And I kept my eye on it...it seemed forever for it to even get any color on the tip of the bud even. I was hoping for something blue, but was sure it wouldn't be. Today, early when I was out filling the birds' feeders...the iris had opened!! By golly gee...it DOES HAVE some blue hues!!! It isn't the true blue that was pictured on the package when I purchased it...but it is a beautiful purplish blue!! I can't recall the name of it...it was something like midnight cloud...it did have cloud in its name, that I remember. But, isn't it pretty?





End of my Show n Tell for Friday. If you'd like to skip my flash fiction 55 below and leave now...share some words of wisdom with me?---

COMMENT HERE




- - -<><><>- - -

FLASH FICTION 55

"Tonight, we have a really big 'shoo'!"
"Elvis the Pelvis!"
In the late '50s; censored television. Now-a-days, entertainers grabbing their own privates? On cable? And we pay hard earned income to view this? Citizens on the street, identical gestures; continually locked up for indecency...no matter if you're black or white or en vogue.







My commentary on this 55---Sometimes, I think this is typical government, law enforcing logistics, a lawful [or unlawful] double standard...but being that we pay to be entertained through celebrities on stage or via the media of some sort instead...well, that makes it okay? Who knows. :::shrug:::

'famous' crotch grabbers & their song titles...
Michael Jackson's "black or white"
Madonna's Vogue

Exhibitionists truly...commoners'll get up to 20 years behind bars, yet celebrities are 'loved' for doing the same. I don't get it...I just don't get it.






POSTED: Friday, April 30th, 2010
12:45 A.M.


52 comments :

  1. you know it is all his fault!! that is what grandma used to tell me about my hunka, hunka burning heartthrob!!! great 55 and beautiful flowers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Iris my friend. How wonderful :) Love your 55 and boy you sure did name so famous crotch grabbers :) Excellent my friend. Have a wonderful Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. anni, i couldn't agree with you more! this is a wonderful 55 and the purple iris above it are just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, media is full of double standards, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice 55. interesting what has become acceptable these days and what we are numb to..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A kid of 'Do as I say, not as I do' situation.
    Good 55.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad says it's cool, and thank you, for thinking about me.
    As long as it's their own, who cares?
    Michael Jackson rocks - used to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha, GREAT 55, Anni.
    Look at it this way, CELEBRITIES are actually SUFFERING DAILY???? We are not. If we put all the celebrities in jail, WOULD WE BE SO BORED? and maybe start to do STUPID THINGS like THEY DO? LOL

    Happy Friday!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love blue iris. We have a patch of them and I'm always excited to see them bloom. I'm happy you got a flower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patience has it's rewards! What a lovely reward you got. Around here, Chicago area, iris spread fairly rapidly. I think the blue iris is my favorite. Enjoy!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Double standards indeed. If they are going to police this behavior in public, why don't they establish similar standards for the entertainment industry?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That blue iris has the most vivid color. Looks like it is doing well there. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping by, And they use to film his face and chest only least the ladies got the vapours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. on 55- totally agree. I don't get it too. It's all too much pop culture. One day, we shall just pop!☺☺☺.
    have a great weekend. thanks for stopping by my 55.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know there is a different punishment for the monied than the common folk. And I love your irises.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Anni....Ohhhhh, the iris is gorgeous. What a fabulous blue color! Wowsers! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. Please come often! Will you? Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great 55. Totally agree with you. What seemed shocking back then is less than commona place by today's standards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous iris!! Congratulations on persisting and holding out hope! How are the Colorado ones doing?

    Crotch grabbing - YUCK!! Remember when obnoxious Roseanne Barr at that baseball game?

    The other thing - low-slung pants - SO sick of it!!

    Well, enough of that. Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOur blue IRis is totally amazing! I love the color and it looks so healthy. Thanks for sharing! Paula from Idaho thanks for stopping by my blog! PK

    ReplyDelete
  20. fresh and clean,
    love the feeling your post brings.
    lovely 55.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blue iris is just beautiful...I don't have this color..just love it! Thanks for your sweet visit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Patience certainly won out for this beauty. Glad you had the foresight to see what might be. Have a Great weekend Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did Elvis ever actually grab his crotch? I thought he just swivelled his hips and gyrated - very sexily I might add. ;)

    Great 55.

    Mine's up too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A step back in time for me, an Ed Sullivan show fan from way back. I loved Elvis, but don't like watching singers grab their crotches. Yuck. That's my view in a word.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The iris is very beautiful and has such a gorgeous color, but I am far more impressed by your template ! It's super ! I still think you should make a profession out of your talent, I am sure you have fun when you create such a design ! The cat and you at the computer are just too funny !

    ReplyDelete
  26. On the one hand I wish the celebrities would keep their hands off their privates. I find it a total turn off. On the other, my favorite manga supplier just started censoring, and I'm major ticked off.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Back in the 70s they showed more sex and nudity in the movies but weren't as direct in their dialoge. Now they show less actual nudity and sex but are very explicid in the dialogue...even on TV

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe it's a lifestyle problem. Those celebs live in a world of all manner of risky and mind-altering behavior. Maybe they're afraid they left their privates in a hotel somewhere. Just checking, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful blue iris... looks very blue to me! Maybe next year it will spread and you will have even more!

    Enjoy your flowers and weekend!
    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  30. :) I like Elvis, Michael Jackson and Madonna...but I see where you are coming from...I love your 55 nonetheless :) Thanks for visiting me...

    http://msjstar1275.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. A crotch grabbing 55...hmmmm. Honestly, Annie. I date myself remembering Ed and his Sunday show. Great 55.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE the vivid hue of this blue iris and to know how difficult it is to grow them in Texas (which I didn't know until now!) is SUCH A BLESSING!
    Truly gorgeous color and flower!
    Hugs,
    Lana
    PS I love your Hootin' Anni blog name/title/cartoon of you/the cat/the computer/desk! SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is a pretty blue iris. I wish trere blooms lasted a little longer. But it gives me something to look foward for the following Spring...Julian

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is a beautiful BLUE iris! It is so pretty. I should plant some. We took off in the RV this morning south and are now camped at a lovely campground near Ocean City, MD. The bay is right next to us and the view is just wonderful. We are here for the weekend returning home Monday. It was a nice drive down here. We toured TX in 2008 and had a blast. I really enjoyed the visit there. Have a great day!

    Teacup Lane (Sandy)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well...my 55 isn't really a 'bad thing'...I too liked Elvis and Madonna...but the thing is, the unfair treatment the 'regular' people get when they do the same thing! THAT'S the part I don't understand.

    DON'T GET ME WRONG people.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome! What is the name of this one ... I just planted a lot of iris & hope they will come out as beautifully as yours.

    Have a great weekend.
    TTFN ~ Hugs of love, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yeah nicely, this should start a mass debate.
    I used to watch cowboy films but, I wasn't aloud to shoot everybody in town. As for cable tv, you probably get what you pay for. I wouldn't watch it if it was free.

    Cool 55!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We planted some of these, they bloomed this spring too. They were share Iris from a friend at work. Love hand me downs! Glad you liked my typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Here Anni, let me help you off your soap box.
    There ya go...Feel Better?
    Good....
    Excellent Mini-Rant My Friend.
    You Rock Black and White TV Land!
    Have a Kick Ass Week-End....G

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's so true... over-exposure really is over-rated! Leave SOMETHING to the imagination; it's much more sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anni, your blog is ALWAYS "...a really big shoo" but where is Elvis? Girl, you don't NEED him.

    I'm telling you (without grabbing my crotch!), that is a great "55", and I enjoy every visit to your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awww, patience is a virtue, isn't it? Look how you've been rewarded. It is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for visiting my vintage Mary garden statue!... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is a divine shade of blue in the iris flower. I have one iris open today with purple edged white petals. Yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Society has gotten a lot crazy. And we seem to be more and more desensitized to this craziness. And you're right, what is not OK for the general populace is somehow, quite OK for celebrities. Weird. Great 55, Anni. :))

    ReplyDelete
  45. try sticking an old nail or two in the ground close to the bulb....works for hyacinths. without the iron oxide the flowers are pink....with it they're light blue. more iron more blue. I have a Rose of Sharon that's pink on one side and blue on the other....blue side is closest to the old metal border previous owners put in the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  46. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-followers-award.html

    some May awards,
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I don't get it either. :)
    Great 55, Anni!
    Hugs/ Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  48. VEry true Anni. Love your 55 this week.

    ReplyDelete

.